1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 17, 2013 8:21 PM by Rick Gerard

Stabilizing VERY shaky shots (shooting out the side of a car window while driving)?

nicktheman1

Ive tried quite a few things but there always seems to be some sort of distortion or small shakes left after rendering. I went on a trip to Iceland and shot hours of footage. Couldnt really use a tripod in the car and the camera was only ever as steady as the car was on sketchy roads. I can upload an example if you guys want, but basically the camera is shaking in every direction. I realize warp stabilizer cant do miracles, but im wondering if theres certain settings I can apply to atleast make the shots usable. Shot with a cannon T4i. Heres a teaser I made with some of the footage. Didnt apply any stabilizers and it was edited with Avid media composer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGMY4v8jhsI&feature=c4-overview&list=UUS5FPDAZk8xZ3a4ICcP9J iQ

Thanks for any help!

• 1. Re: Stabilizing VERY shaky shots (shooting out the side of a car window while driving)?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, cut the shots you are going to use. Second, try stabilizing the edited footage a shot at a time. Don't expect miracles. If there is nothing in the frame that has significant geometrically stable detail then it's unlikely that you will be able to stabilize that shot.

AE's warp stabilizer will work for some shots.

Stabilizing in Mocha will work for others.

Stabilizing with AE's internal point tracker will work for a few.

I saw examples in your teaser that might work with at least one of these solutions and I saw examples that probably won't work very well. Stabilizing will not remove motion blur from quick camera movements and rain, fog, water like oceans, and snow with very little detail are extremely difficult to track.