8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2013 7:31 AM by TurgayOrhan

Cropping smart object files in PS with ACR

TurgayOrhan Level 1

I sent a DNG from LR to PS with the "open as smart object in Photoshop" command and after I cropped it in ACR ... the result is in the following image:

1.jpg

It is not cropping canvas ...

So does this mean that we can not use ACR in PS for cropping smart object files?

Any idea?

Thanks ...

• 1. Re: Cropping smart object files in PS with ACR
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

I don't use LR so my question did ACR open in Photoshop a DNG RAW file should open through ACR and ACR should see and raw setting developed for the RAW file.  LR may have some way to bypass ACR dialog in Photoshop still the DNG RAW file and its covertion setting need to be stored into the smart layers embedded object and raster pixels needs to be rendered for its pixels.  If you double click on the smart object layers smart icon in the layers palette does ACR open and has the crop setting been saved in the DNG file by LR UI???

• 2. Re: Cropping smart object files in PS with ACR
            TurgayOrhan Level 1

"Opening Camera Raw files in Photoshop as Smart Objects enables you to reconfigure Camera Raw settings at any time, even after you edit the file" ...

From the page explaining nondestructive editing in PS ... http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSB3154840-1191-47b7-BA5B-2BD8371C31D8a.htm l

You can reconfigure ACR settings, but can not crop in ACR if you use smart objects for raw files.

Is this a known bug ... will be solved soon?

• 3. Re: Cropping smart object files in PS with ACR
              TurgayOrhan Level 1

Hi JJMack ...

Because of my poor English, I could not understand your post so much.

Forget about LR ...

Double click a raw file, PS will open it with ACR ... make your adjustments and save it as a smart object.

Then, let's say, you want to change the crop ... open smart object, PS will open it in ACR.

Crop your image and close ACR ...

What will you see in PS?

An image with a larger canvas ...

• 4. Re: Cropping smart object files in PS with ACR
                JJMack Most Valuable Participant

I see a display like you show. 

For when the it was first opened as a smart object layer it was not cropped. ACR set the new Document canvas size to the image's pixel size  for there was no open document and the transform associated the smart object anchor point is the canvas center and the width an height sizes are both 100%.  

If I then double click on the smart icon in the layers palette. ACR open the full RAW image.  If I then use ACR crop tool and say crop a portion or the upper left section of the image. When I click OK.  Photoshop updates the smart object layer object. The rendered pixels are the upper left section. The associated transform is not changed it still has the canvas centered anchor point and a width and height of 100%.  So the layers pixel are moved to the center and the width and height are  still 100%.  The number of pixels in the object is much smaller then canvas size so there are transparent areas on all four sides and the borders on opersid sizes are equal to each other.

If I double click on the smart Icon in the layer palette ACR open and all I see is the cropped area. When I click on ACR crop tool I see the whole image and the crop selection is the upper left section I selected the previous time I reprocessed the smart object layer

• 5. Re: Cropping smart object files in PS with ACR
                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

TurgayOrhan wrote:

Crop your image and close ACR ...

What will you see in PS?

An image with a larger canvas ...

Uh huh...that's exactly the behavior I would expect...(and the correct behavior). If you understand what Smart Objects are, you would realize that the image in the PSD/TIFF file depends on the raw SO...anythig you do to it (including cropping) will impact the image in the PSD/TIFF file. As it should. If you want to recrop the "image" you'll need to crop the PSD/TIFF file, not the raw SO. Think about it...the SO is based on the embedded raw image–if you change the raw image, it changes the embedded image in the SO. DOH...

• 6. Re: Cropping smart object files in PS with ACR
                    Level 5

You are to be commended for not using the word bug when reporting this user error in your original post, TurgayOrhan. 

• 7. Re: Cropping smart object files in PS with ACR
                      TurgayOrhan Level 1

I'm sorry Photoshop ...

Thanks Jeff.

• 8. Re: Cropping smart object files in PS with ACR
                        TurgayOrhan Level 1

Jeff, I also had a question about the previews of 32-bit HDR files in LR ...

For correct preview and print job in LR, one has to flatten the filters (ACR or HDR Efex Pro) and change the bit depth of the original TIFF file to 16-bit.

Or, if one wants to preserve the ACR filter on the smart object in the original TIFF file, then need to create a second copy of the original 32-bit TIFF and change it to 16-bit TIFF file for previewing correctly and printing purposes in LR

Related topic in the LR forum: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5599532#5599532

I'm trying to find the best workflow for HDR files (with ACR or with HDR Efex Pro) and I would like to learn your advises.