7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2013 9:41 AM by Chuck A. McIntyre

Paint or Cloth

Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

I create videos for a company and we cleared out a room so we can do photography and greenscreen video shots.  I'm thinking about painting the wall a flat, hot lime green and lay down some 3/8" plywood and paint that the same color of course for full people shots.  I have used the cloth material in the past and the wrinkles sometimes mess with the key.  I have seen a couple of companies selling 10' x 15' green cloth screens pretty cheap.  B&H has some but they are of course more expensive.  Any of you have experience with cheap cloth/fabric green screens?  I really can't see taking a cloth screen out of the office, so I am kind of leaning toward just painting the wall.  Any advice on the latest and greatest lighting would be appreciated too.  We have a really nice camera, the Sony NEX-FS700.  Shooter recommended it and it captures some mighty fine images.

• 1. Re: Paint or Cloth
          Level 4

CHUCK !  HOW ARE YOU ?? !!!  Where you been ??

I was just asking about if anyone seen you around ( in lounge post the other day )...and like MAGIC here you ARE !

WHATS UP ??

yap with chris duncan if you know his stuff.. re: green screen for what you want...he did that stuff about a year ago..has tons of good info..

I can help too.. if you want... but gotta get into details ( space dimensions ( room size and ceiling height ) and power available and stuff like that...)

great to see you

• 2. Re: Paint or Cloth
            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Chuck,

I am about to go through the same thing for the garage in the new house, when we finally take possession of in a week or so.

The advantage of painting seems that it would be even, without wrinkles. Great for head shots, portraits, and the like.  The disadvantage is that unless you do a lot of work to ensure that the intersection of the wall and the floor are a smooth curve, you are going to see that line and have to deal with it in post.

Also, you might find yourself painting that plywood floor over and over again as people walk on it.

Go with a cloth and the wrinkles are not a problem because you either iron them out, or steam them out. Especially if it is just hanging on a wall. Getting a smooth transition between wall and floor will be a lot easier as it will happen naturally.

If you are careful when you pick it up off of the floor and make sure that it hangs without actually folding, you can get it off the floor and out of the way with ease.

My plan is to use grommets in the corners of the fabric on the floor so I can use a couple of cup hooks high on the wall to pull the fabric off of the ground and hang it. I figure if I use a piece of 2" PVC pipe at the bottom of the fold, it won't get a line in it and the little bit of weight will keep any wrinkles away.

• 3. Re: Paint or Cloth

Hey Rod, I'm doing fine.  Are you in Minnesota?   I've been working long hours at my new job.  I need to go through the forums and see what everyone has been up to.  Thanks for suggesting Chris Duncan.  Created any recent videos?

Thanks Steven.  Cloth is easier than painting a wall I suppose.  I just don't want to pay too much for the "professional" version if the cheap ones are just as good.  We had a large greenscreen cloth at the last place I worked and it was OK.  We once rented a building for a video shoot that had a large greenscreen stage.  It was painted and the area where the floor met the wall was curved to prevent a sharp corner shadow.  Recreating that kind of thing could be a pain.

• 4. Re: Paint or Cloth
                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Recreating that kind of thing could be a pain.

That depends. There is a video that shows you how to do it. Warning, you might not want your significant other in the room while watching this. Check post #9 in this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1241033?start=0&tstart=0

But seriously, I believe that I can create something curved to lay the fabric on out of cardboard, The fabric should hang slightly off the wall, perhaps an inch, and then lay across the curved cardboard and out into the studio. I expect to be able to pick up the fabric by the grommets and hang it up easily.

The "cheap" fabric works fine. Nothing shiny, of course. Maybe from these guys?

• 5. Re: Paint or Cloth
                  Level 4

chuck, that camera looks nice...nice choice. come to lounge and yap when you have time

• 6. Re: Paint or Cloth

I could be a decent camera operator.  I'm more cut out to be a video editor though.  I hate the tiny LCD reference monitors they supply on cameras even at this level.  I can do much better work when I can see what I'm capturing and make the appropriate adjustments. They have a 4k option available which is amazing IMO.  I'm looking forward to keying hi-def video.

• 7. Re: Paint or Cloth

I work with a woman that reminds me of her. It's hard to focus on what she's building.  I should show this video to my wife just to "tweak" her.  I will show this video to my co-worker. Perhaps I can have her help us build the photo/video room and share the video here in the lounge!!!