7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2013 6:21 PM by A.T. Romano RSS

trying to export/share in a format readable by Powerpoint2010 when insert video

Elizabeth B65 Community Member

Using Premier 11 Elements...... I'm trying to export/ share videos to my computer, then trying to insert them into a Powerpoint slide. It works fine if I use a raw WMV format straight from the camera, but they need editting. I'm doing the editing enhancing sound etc in Premier11 Elements, but when I "share' I can't find how to save as a .wmv format??

When I choose Share>Computer>  I end up with MP4 files or XMPSES files... all will not function when inserted into Powerpoint. I get a message "media unavailable" after pasted. Or sometimes the message "Powerpoint cannot insert" this file format.

How do I export as a .wmv?? the help info available says Premier 11 elements should do this!?

thanks for any help you can give, I'm new to this and under a time crunch for work.

• 1. Re: trying to export/share in a format readable by Powerpoint2010 when insert video
          A.T. Romano Community Member

Elizabeth B65

If you are looking for an .wmv export in Premiere Elements 11 Windows, I suspect that you are missing the Windows Media choice because you are not scrolling down far enough under Publish+Share/Computer. The options there are:

Adobe Flash Video

MPEG

AVCHD

AVI

Windows Media

QuickTime

Audio

Look to the right of the listing. There is a scroll bar (of sorts) there.

What video formats does your PowerPoint support? I just remembered. I have PowerPoint 2010. I will take a first look at that.

If you need more detailed information on any of the above (or anything else in your Premiere Elements workflow), please do not hesitate to ask, but give details.

Example: frame size and such.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: trying to export/share in a format readable by Powerpoint2010 when insert video

Elizabeth B65

Looks like best to try for the wmv video for your PowerPoint 2010.

I tried an AVCHD.mp4 (1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second) into PowerPoint 2010 and got a "64 bit codec" error which lead me to this online article

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982954

Let me know the frame size, frame rate, and any other requirements that you have for this wmv video destined for your PowerPoint 2010 project, and I will post specific settings suggestions for

Publish+Share

Computer

Windows Media Player

More later.

ATR

• 3. Re: trying to export/share in a format readable by Powerpoint2010 when insert video

to ATR:

Thank you!! you were exactly right.

I did not 'recognize' the scoll bar --  and your comment "scoll bar (of sorts)" was most helpful. I found all the options you mention and have now successfully saved as .wmv -- woohoo!

As an aside, before I found your answer, I tried installing Quicktime player onto my PC and then was able to read the MP4 files I attempted earlier. So now I have both formats available as working choices. (I see your additional reply below and will attempt to know & share media specs shortly for your further guidance if possible.)

Your prompt reply was truly helpful, you've made my day.

Thanks

Note to Adobe Premier Elements 11: the scroll bar is not very intuitive, and seems to jump quite a bit. A drop down menu or more standard looking scroll bar would be helpful.

• 4. Re: trying to export/share in a format readable by Powerpoint2010 when insert video

ATR,

Okay, so now I've read your online article linked above, and figured out my video properties: frame size 1920x1080, frame rate 29/sec.

The end use is to post in an online distance education web platform, perhaps Moodle if I can figure out how.

So to begin I'm assembling in power point and may to try to use slideshare or something similar if needed to load onto Moodle. I hope to keep the functionality of advancing slide by slide and having the video pieces connected to each slide, However, I may end up with video and powerpoint 'side by side' on the website if the powerpoint type functionality can't be maintained when posted.

I would welcome any further advice about settings for Publish+Share.

Thanks again,

Elizabeth B65

• 5. Re: trying to export/share in a format readable by Powerpoint2010 when insert video

Elizabeth B65

Thanks for the great news. Glad the suggestions worked for you.

If you want to take your Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace Timeline to the 1920 x 1080 .wmv file for PowerPoint, the export from the following should insert into your PowerPoint 2010 nicely:

Publish+Share

Computer

Windows Media

with Presets = 720 x 480 16x9 29.97

Then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab, the essentials are:

Video codec = Windows Media Video 9

Encoding passes = Two

Bitrate Mode = Variable Unconstrained

Frame Width = 1920 pixels

Frame Height = 1080 pixels

Frame Rate = 29.97 frames per second

Pixel Aspect Ratio = Square Pixels (1.0)

The default "Average Video Bitrate" appears to be 1500 Kbps (kilobits per second). You can experiment with that later if necessary, finding the compromise between Bitrate, quality, and file size.

By the way, the installation of QuickTime is a requirement for working with Premiere Elements. The first sign of its absence is its presets missing from the Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime. Typically the program requires being run Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrative Privileges.

Please let us know how else we might help.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: trying to export/share in a format readable by Powerpoint2010 when insert video

ATR,

Thanks for all the good advice. The settings will be helpful.

As a new user I have a few other issues to sort out, but will look through the help pages for answers first. If I get stuck i'll be sure to ask.

thanks again,

Elizabeth B65

• 7. Re: trying to export/share in a format readable by Powerpoint2010 when insert video

Elizabeth B65

Thanks for the update.

Please never hesitate to ask questions, small or big. Any question for which you do not have an answer is an important question.

ATR