9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2013 8:48 AM by gbrmk

Fitting larger video files onto DVDs?

gbrmk Level 1

I'm working on a project, videos + stills but mostly videos from a week's holiday (in Wales -- beautiful country, by the way, great people, great food and beer -- highly recommended!  And of course great scenery with the little mountain railways, including one to the top of Mount Snowdon, but I digress, sorry).

The finished project will be about 1½ hrs long, but so far I have a completed video (.m2t) for each of 4 days, with the following sizes:- 1.26  4.50  4.66  2.98  = 13.4GB

Originally I'd been wildly optimistic and hoped to fit the whole week onto 1 DVD, clearly impossible without destroying the quality.   I do have a Bluray player and my pc can also record Bluray, but I don't want to use this as the people I'd like to send copies to don't have Bluray players.

Will I then have to accept that I'll have to make separate DVDs for the larger movies, ie the 4+ GB ones?   It's no big deal, and in fact will save me having to learn and practise making menus (lazy! only kidding).

I've seen on the web software for 'shrinking' videos to size to fit DVDs but they probably ruin the quality?

Thanks for help with this.

Brian

• 1. Re: Fitting larger video files onto DVDs?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Brian,

Have you looked into DVD-9 blank discs, DL (Double Layer), which can hold essentially twice the Duration of a DVD-5, SL (Single Layer)?

Otherwise, then a multi-disc set is probably the best way to go.

As you note, the lower the Bit-Rate in the MPEG DVD Transcode, will allow more time on the disc, but at the cost of quality. However, that lowered quality will first begin to show up in off-axis motion (camera, or subject), in the Video portions - maybe a tweak down will not be THAT bad?

When I was right at the borderline for a single SL DVD-5 (what the client wanted), I was able to compress the output just enough to fit with DVDShrink, and the quality was still better, than just dropping the initial Bit-Rate of the Transcode. Whether you think it's a viable, will depend on your eyes, and any motion in your Video. I believe that there is a trial, but cannot recall if it is only time-limited, or includes a watermark - I've owned it so long, that I do not remember how the trial worked.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Fitting larger video files onto DVDs?
            gbrmk Level 1

I’ll certainly look into it for future possible use, Bill.   Right now I want to get this thing finished with and off my hands!  So for now, it’s probably 3 disks, maybe 4.

all best

• 3. Re: Fitting larger video files onto DVDs?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Brian

If it is any help, from Premiere Elements  you can burn to the DVD disc 8.5 GB/240 minutes. (In reality that 8.5 GB is 7.95 GB). By comparison, your "regular" DVD disc 4.7 GB/120 minutes will be in reality 4.37 GB.

With "Fit Content to Available Space" used to make the fit, you can gauge the Quality expectations by how much the program has to lower the Bitrate to make the fit. For DVD 4.7 GB/120 min, the maximum Bitrate = 8.00 Mbps (megabits per second). For DVD 8.5 GB/240 min., the maximum Bitrate also appears to be 8.00 Mbps. From property readout of the DVD-VIDEO produced, it looks like Premiere Elements is using a variable bitrate for the burn to.

Do your intended viewers have players that supported the DVD+R DL side sided?

ATR

• 4. Re: Fitting larger video files onto DVDs?
                gbrmk Level 1

Thanks ATR.   Actually I’ve now got a new problem.  I thought I’d make a copy just for ourselves at home on Bluray.  Up to now I’ve never had occasion to try to burn a Blu-ray, but I have a blank disk on stand-by.  To my surprise, although my pc came with Blu-ray playing facility, the drive wont record Blu-ray, only DVDs and CDs.   So I’m after an external burner, connected by USB (I have two USB 3.0 sockets on my machine).

Can you, Bill or anyone recommend an external Blu-ray device to me, one preferably that comes with software?

Thanks

Cheers

Brian

• 5. Re: Fitting larger video files onto DVDs?
                  gbrmk Level 1

PS  I discovered I must have downloaded some time in the past ImgBurn, a free software.   Probabably good enough?

I’ve been looking at the Samsung Slim Retail External 3D Blu Ray Writer on the Amazon site and it has good customer reviews.  At under 68GBP it seems like a bargain.   Any users here?  Or any better recommendations?

thanks again

Brian

• 6. Re: Fitting larger video files onto DVDs?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Brian

Good morning.

Are you saying that your burner does not burn Blu-ray or are you saying that Premiere Elements burn to is not recognizing your Blu-ray DVD CD burner? I think you said burner is not spec'd for Blu-ray, but just wanted to make sure.

Premiere Elements does not have a burn to folder for Blu-ray, but what you might consider:

a. Burn to Folder for Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD with Presets = H.264 1920 x 1080i Dolby DVD

b. Take the BDMV Folder from that and put it on a Blu-ray disc with a program such as ImgBurn.

We could also think about the Phantom burner Premiere Elements combo approach to getting a disc image. But we will save that for later. It does work with Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 64 bit, but there is a bit of a twist to it.

Best if you have BD-RE so that you can reuse the disc if necessary.

I have one Blu-ray DVD CD burner and its internal type. So, I do not have any first hand information on preferred external ones. When I have looked, the ones I likes were out of my price range (most are). What I once thought about doing was buying an internal one (one of the bargins/sales) and an enclosure and making my own "external" Blu-ray DVD CD burner. That is essentially an easy assembly and nothing high tech.

Whatever you buy, make sure you can return it if Premiere Elements does not recognize it or has other problems with it.

ATR

• 7. Re: Fitting larger video files onto DVDs?
                      gbrmk Level 1

Hi ATR and thanks yet again!

I’ve been comparing things on the web and saw this review in particular  http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2402405,00.asp  The Samsung looks quick, easy and cheap (as prices go).   I’ve also looked at the Pioneer BDR-XD04, but reports suggests it’s a bit noisy, which for a few minutes wouldn’t be a problem but would be if it goes on for hours!

The Samsung uses power from the pc (no wall connection required) and works with USB 2.0, which I’m sure is good enough for my needs.  So I think that’s what I’ll do.   I’ll report back on it after use.

I shall copy and keep for reference your suggestions below.  Oh, by the way, yes, my pc plays Blu-ray but the drive wont record.

All best

Brian

• 8. Re: Fitting larger video files onto DVDs?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Brian,

With these external drives, check how many USB ports it will require for the connection to the computer, especially in the cases where it does not require electrical connection besides the USB connection. Some require 2 which can be a connection dilemma depending on available USB ports and their relative location. And, some come with very short USB cable.

We will be watching for your progress.

ATR

• 9. Re: Fitting larger video files onto DVDs?
                          gbrmk Level 1

OK, thanks ATR.   I’ve got loads of USB connections, so don’t anticipate a problem (wow) ...   But I do know the Pioneer (which I didn’t buy) requires 2 connections.  The Samsung reviewers don’t say, at least not the ones I’ve seen, but customers on Amazon speak of simply connecting the thing.

I shall certainly let you and the group know.

all best