4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2013 7:26 AM by CadyMH

Whcih codec/settings for best quality, smallest file size?

CadyMH

Hi,

This is probably a really frequently asked question, and I apologise for that.

I've been  searching for an answer and the only information I can hastily find is at last a year old, some stuff dating from 2008

Forgive me - even though I'm studying media, I have no idea about codecs or the best ratio to use or anything.

Basically, I need some advice over which settings to use on my video. The work needs to be a really high quality, as it will be displayed on a projection screen for an exhibition, but I'm sending it over the internet, so I need a compromise between file size and quality.

One of my tutors has told me that I should always be using the ProRes 422 codec, but when I use that, and export the video in 1080p, it comes out at 3.5GB which is just ridiculous.

It has to be sent off ASAP, as the exhibition is on the 21st.

If anyone has any advice to me, that would be amazing.

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Whcih codec/settings for best quality, smallest file size?
          SpareWheel Level 2

Hi CadyMH

First piece of information you need is what specifications does the exhibition organisors want in order for them to project. They often give minimun spec standards. Also how they want to recive it - I doubt they'll be happy for you to "email" them ProRes. They should be your first port of call.

To what specifications did you shoot and edit your project?

For someone just to tell you "...you must always use ProRes 422." is not helpful and a little short sighted, especially if the organisor want it to a different standard or delivery. Confirm this with the organisers and ask how they want it "sent".

It's the same thing as making a film (video) for broadcast. The broadcaster will always specify the format and method of delivery.

• 2. Re: Whcih codec/settings for best quality, smallest file size?
            reverb

This is just a quick general reply. I'd start by using the h.264 codec, widescreen for YouTube preset. If they don't have an HD projector then you don't need 1080. See if you can live with the quality and filesize. And ProRes is not a delivery format. Not for your need anyway.

• 3. Re: Whcih codec/settings for best quality, smallest file size?
              CadyMH Level 1

Hi, thank you so much for your reply.

It's a college project, and the person we were working with is a Doctor in sound. We had to record environmental sounds and create soundscapes for them. As media students though, we were told to make animations, or videos to accompany them. My video is just some of my photography, with some titles, and an AIF music file. Sound is his thing - he wouldn't know what settings I should use.

The project is in 1080p 25 frame. I asked my one of my tutors, and he told me I was right in exporting it as ProRes 422. I used the Adobe Media Encoder and the youtube setting, which has taken a copy of the file down to 177.5MB and I'm burning a copy of the 3.5GB one on to disk in hopes I can get it there somehow.

It's all a bit vague to be honest. My friend's project is 1080p. I'm pretty sure it's the standard size we use for all our projects. The projectors should be set up to handle it.

• 4. Re: Whcih codec/settings for best quality, smallest file size?
                CadyMH Level 1

Thank you for your reply!

That's the advice I got from my tutor. But then again, he also told me that I was correct in using ProRes, so I have no idea, haha.
                I have created a compressed version, though, using that youtube preset, and I'm sending that online. I compared the quality of the two versions, and it's really not that bad. But it'll be on a projector, so I'm burning a copy of it to DVD, if the file doesn't send or they need a higher quality version.

Thank you so much!