7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2013 12:27 PM by Alex - DV411

Coolmaster storm Stryker X'Dock - SSD Hotswap dock

Troy_w1 Level 1

Hey guys, Im looking at this case and have not found much feedback on the use, and moreso the reliability of this Xdock that they have.

I am currently shooting with an AG-AC160 which records in AVCHD, and via SDI capturing with a Blackmagic Shuttle for uncompressed full 10bit footage.

The BM unit uses SSD's as it storage media, so you could see why having a SSD dock in the case would benefit me greatly rather that shutting down, opening case and connecting the SSD then booting up just to transfer a days footage.

I'd really love to hear any and all stories or first hand experience anyone has had with these.

Thanks

Troy

• 1. Re: Coolmaster storm Stryker X'Dock - SSD Hotswap dock
          JEShort01 Level 4

Troy,

I do not own any cases equipped with a Xdock, however I have played a lot with various eSATA (I'm pretty sure this is what Xdock counts on from a motherboard port), firewire, and USB options.

I can report:

- eSATA connects great, but I usually need to turn the PC off to properly disconnect / reconnect to the eSATA (my testing was on a Gigabyte X58 m/b and Dell laptop)

- USB 3.0 connects / disconnects great, but can sometimes be flaky; the newest hardware / firmware / drivers may have resolved this but there is some risk

- Firewire 800; not as fast as others, but boy does it have connect / disconnect down!

So, in your case my choice would probably be eSATA. Be aware too though that the Orico usb 3.0 / eSATA external drive sleds are super handy. I can load a SSD into one in about 20 seconds, and most new cases around have eSATA and USB 3.0 ports built in now.

Regards,

Jim

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Coolmaster storm Stryker X'Dock - SSD Hotswap dock
            Cuchullain

With the same requirement, I found a couple of cool products. They're both docks that fit in one of your case's 5.25" drive bays, and they allow you to hot swap up to 4 SATA SSDs without first having to screw them into a tray or what have you, so they're ideal for BMCC media. If you search for the product IDs AK-IEN-02 or KF-254-BK you should see what I mean. I found them at a site called frozencpu.

I really wanted an alternative to BlackMagic's own Multidock (which looks awesome) for my workstation, and this seems to be the ticket. They don't have any electronics - they just pass through the SATA and power to ports on the back of the unit. You must connect the unit to SATA headers on your motherboard, so you should get full 6Gbps from each drive if you connect it properly.

Not sure if links will work here, but here goes:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16090/hdc-96/Kingwin_525_Bay_4_x_25_SATA_HDD_Tray-less_H ot_Swap_Rack_KF-254-BK.html

• 4. Re: Coolmaster storm Stryker X'Dock - SSD Hotswap dock
              Cuchullain Level 1

While the Icydock is a very nice looking piece of equipment, it seems to require you to screw the SSD drives into sleds, which makes it a lot less convenient for Blackmagic Camera users. Please correct me if I got that wrong, but an image on the page you linked to makes it seem like that's the case.

The units I suggested treat your SSD as cartridge media, which makes it quick and easy to get the SSD from the camera to the computer and back again.

• 6. Re: Coolmaster storm Stryker X'Dock - SSD Hotswap dock
                Alex - DV411 Level 2

While the Icydock is a very nice looking piece of equipment, it seems to require you to screw the SSD drives into sleds, which makes it a lot less convenient for Blackmagic Camera users. Please correct me if I got that wrong, but an image on the page you linked to makes it seem like that's the case.

Use one of those (SAS version) and concur with cc_merchant: indeed. Also, LED lights are barely visible (I prefer them to be visible without having to stoop down to the workstation and looking straight at the bays), I can't quite say they're the level of engineering of the rest of the system (Z800) despite HP rebadging these units as HP parts. Been trying to get HP to use some of their own server 2.5" backplanes (which are awesome but do require screws) on Z-series, to no avail.

Possible advantage of Icy Dock: fans. (Kingwin doesn't seem to have any?) I.e. can use regular spinning drives. For SSD-only use, the Kingwin unit seems to be the winner.

• 7. Re: Coolmaster storm Stryker X'Dock - SSD Hotswap dock
                  Alex - DV411 Level 2

Also if there is an option to designate the SATA ports connected to either units as eSATA (in BIOS), that should give you the "eject" capability.