4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2013 4:18 PM by Todd_Kopriva

CUDA and GTX 770

Joergen Geerds Level 1

Under 10.8.4, AE claims that no compatible GPU is found, despite the latest NVIDIA CUDA driver being installed (5.5, August 2013) (NVIDIA GTX 770, works in photoshop and other apps like VideoStitch and Autopano Video Pro)

• 1. Re: CUDA and GTX 770
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The GTX 770 is not a card that After Effects will use for the CUDA acceleration of the ray-traced 3D renderer. See the system requirements page:

http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/tech-specs.html

• 2. Re: CUDA and GTX 770
            Joergen Geerds Level 1

Thank you for the system requirements link.

In my mind, I had hoped Adobe would have moved to a more generic GPU interface, especially since CUDA is readily available. As a non-programmer, I would almost say that many video cards are very similar (at least on the surface), and end users like me might not understand why the GPU they own isn't good enough to do something, when the next card easily does it.

My comments were also not only for 3D rendering tasks, but using the GPU for other tasks, like video encoding and other things that are generally slow.

• 3. Re: CUDA and GTX 770
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Each card needs to be tested separately, especially in the early days of a technology---and CUDA and OpenCL are still in their early days. We do find problems with specific cards during testing, and we don't add those to the whitelist. That's why the whitelist exists.

Note that OpenGL, on the other hand, is treated more generically, so that any card that meets certain minimum requirements can be used for OpenGL features. That is because OpenGL is a more mature technology.

See this page for details:

adobe.ly/AE_CUDA_OpenGL_GPU

FWIW, I have a GTX 770 on my desk right now for testing, and if all goes well I hope to add it to the whitelist for the next version of After Effects, which is targeted for release in September.

• 4. Re: CUDA and GTX 770
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The GTX 770 and several other cards have been added to the list of cards that After Effects will use for GPU acceleration of the ray-traced 3D renderer in the After Effects CC (12.1) update, coming in October.

See this page for details:

http://adobe.ly/AE_CC_12dot1_details