26 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2016 2:50 PM by mohae88773980

Premiere CC Timeline Issues

tacomarshall

Hello,

My coworker and I both have separate licences for CC, and today we both ran into the same new issue.  My timeline will sometimes go black in the video/audio tracks.  The problem can be fixed if you zoom out on the timeline, but when you zoom in the black bars will come back or the audio will weirdly slip out of sync (aesthetically, i haven't noticed any audio not matching up... but it still makes me nervous).  Has anyone ran into this or does anyone have a solution?  I cleared my cache but still no luck.

thanks!

• 1. Re: Premiere CC Timeline Issues
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I had the same problem, and just pretty much ignored it until I saw your post.

The problem is that somehow, all of a sudden, Premiere Pro thinks that "Iris" which is the normal label color for clips on the timeline is RGB 0,0,0 when is should be 114,154,204.

You have three basic choices.

1. Change Iris to what it should be manually.

Capture.PNG

2. Change the label color for the clips to something else

3. Reset the default Preferences. Tha manual states:

• To restore default preference settings, hold down Alt (Windows) or Option (Mac OS) while the application is starting. You can release the Alt key or Option key when the splash screen appears.

But if you do that, you need to check all of your settings to make sure everything is the way you want it again.

• 2. Re: Premiere CC Timeline Issues
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Kind of sounds like a redraw issue, guys.  What card and driver?

• 3. Re: Premiere CC Timeline Issues
              tacomarshall Level 1

Thanks for replying steven, but it isn't a labeling issue.  the entire section is blacked out.  when i zoom in, the audio and video doesn't visually sync up in my timeline... which is ****** to edit with.  im working in a 45 minute timeline with 13 video tracks and 18 audio.

• 4. Re: Premiere CC Timeline Issues
                tacomarshall Level 1

Processor - 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory - 16GB 1600MHz DDR3

Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

OS X 10.8.4

• 5. Re: Premiere CC Timeline Issues
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Hmmm. Maybe Jim is right in your case. A redraw issue?

Post a screen shot of what you are looking at.

As for me, Jim, the color box next to the word "Iris" was black. So I just reset my preferences and when I went back in it was normal.

• 6. Re: Premiere CC Timeline Issues
                    Blueberry Films

Hi Guys,

I have just expereinced the issue you had as per your post..  It driving me crazy! I also get a blacked out timetime..

Were you able to solve this issue?

Thanks,

Pat

• 7. Re: Premiere CC Timeline Issues
                      tacomarshall Level 1

So hey, I'm back again.  I went to search for a solution and only found my original post. 

I've ran into this a few times, and for some reason Premiere stops doing this after 24 hours or so (without me changing any settings).  I figured that the latest update solved this problem and hadn't seen it for a couple of months...but now its back!  It's terrible because I can't cut anything when this issue comes up and my only current solution is to just wait until the program magically fixes itself (which isn't acceptable as I have a deadline in 6 hours). 

Has anyone figured this out?  Bugs like this make me regret using premiere as my main NLE system.

• 8. Re: Premiere CC Timeline Issues
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

It's certainly not a common report 'roung these parts.  I still suspect a graphics issue.

• 9. Re: Premiere CC Timeline Issues
                          Tejgrewal Level 1

Did anyone find solution to this issue? I have same issue with the video I'm working on.

I have tried uninstalling, changing the settings, opening the older versions of the project (auto saved files) and even tried the older version (7.0.1) and still got same problem.

I cannot copy the clips (when I copy it selects few clips and leave the audio behind and I cannot select the audio)  and when I duplicate the sequence it shows the same black bars in audio part of the timeline.

I cannot afford to re-edit the entire wedding and reception again.

Now, I don't know what to say to the client :(

• 10. Re: Premiere CC Timeline Issues
                            tacomarshall Level 1

make sure your footage, and sequence audio sample rates are the same.

• 11. Re: Premiere CC Timeline Issues
                              mypetfroguk Level 1

Hi

just had this for the first time today..... VERY odd and came after the latest update, plus an update to Mavericks.

Anyone have any ideas of a fix? The timeline is currently uneditable!

Thanks

• 12. Re: Premiere CC Timeline Issues
                                matthewturnera

Holding down "Option" while opening Premiere from the dock icon fixed this problem for me.

I was able to download my settings afterwards and now its works fine with the settings I want.

Not sure why this is happening. Since both myself and a colleague are working on this project I assume its something to do with a setting getting confused in the swap.

Hope this helps in some way.

• 13. Re: Premiere CC Timeline Issues
                                  edit052015

Blacking out of the timeline also happend to us.

We created a new project and imported the "corrupted" / blacked out one.

Once you opened your new project and imported your old one, open the sequence and continue working

good luck

1) new project

2) import old project in new

3) open the sequence

4) have fun working on your project

• 14. Re: Premiere CC Timeline Issues
                                    jstrawn Adobe Employee

Edit05 Stims wrote:

Once you opened your new project and imported your old one, open the sequence and continue working

good luck

1) new project

3) open the sequence

Can you just close the sequence and re-open it form the project panel for the same net result?

Important differentiation here: Timeline is the name of a panel. Sequences live inside the project, are edited in the timeline and viewed in the program monitor. If a timeline has no sequences in it, it will appear blank and the program monitor will be black.

(apologies if that info was much more basic that where everyone in here is already at with this issue. I just wanted to make sure we aren't just seeing some obvious As designed behavior and missing that fact due to ambiguous terminology)

• 15. Re: Premiere CC Timeline Issues
                                      smithek Level 1

edit052015 wrote:

good luck

1) new project

3) open the sequence

Thank you!! 

I just updated to Premiere Pro CC 2015.  Opened a project (created in 2015 on a different computer) and the timeline was blacked out.  Zooming in/out made no difference, sometimes manually selecting the clips would make them visible, but the timeline would not adjust to reflect any edits I was doing.  AKA impossible to edit.

Resetting label colors did not work.  Restoring default preference settings did make the timeline visible when the project was opened, but it immediately blacked out once I started editing.

However, making a new project and importing the old project into it worked!!!!

• 16. Re: Premiere CC Timeline Issues
                                        Maxdelnegro

Hi, it happens to me when i'm using external drives, here's my workaround:

Disconnect the external drive

Load the timeline with media offline

Copy all contents of the timeline

Create a new timeline

Paste the content

Reconnect the external drive

Relink media

• 17. Re: Premiere CC Timeline Issues
                                          natepriest

To be perfectly honest, this sounded like one of those incredibly stupid solutions....one that might just be stupid enough to work. IT WORKED! Thank you for saving the day!!!

• 18. Re: Premiere CC Timeline Issues
                                            beguido

It worked for me too! tks!

• 19. Re: Premiere CC Timeline Issues
                                              Stewart Shevin Level 1

The only fix I've found for a black timeline area is a restart. Sometimes just restarting Premiere works. Other times a system restart is needed.

Premiere Pro 2015.

Mac Pro 2016

OS 10.9.5

• 20. Re: Premiere CC Timeline Issues
                                                smithek Level 1

Maxdelnegro wrote:

Hi, it happens to me when i'm using external drives, here's my workaround:

Disconnect the external drive

Load the timeline with media offline

Copy all contents of the timeline

Create a new timeline

Paste the content

Reconnect the external drive

Relink media

This worked for me! However, I did not have to create a new timeline. I copied the project file to desktop. Opened the project with my external hard drive disconnected; media-offline window popped up, I plugged back in my external hard-drive and reconnected all of the media. Project opened with timeline no longer black. I then re-saved the project file to my external hard-drive.

I've had this issue occur before, but here is specifically how it started today:

I work off of a 5TB external hard drive, and keep a backup of media on a 1TB. I met with a client today and worked with them off of the 1TB (copied project file from 5TB). After, I copied the project file to the 5TB, and opened the project from the 5TB, and the timeline was black.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

Processor - 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory - 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

OS X 10.10.5

Premiere Pro CC 2015.0.2

• 21. Re: Premiere CC Timeline Issues
                                                  tourist07

I've had the same issue.

1) I Opened a project (created in 2015 on a different computer). This project is located on external USB 3.0 drive on my PC. I've got a "black timeline" and Premiere refused to load media (blue loading line on the bottom-right corner).

2) Restarting Premiere and PC, changing workspaces didn't worked.

3) I'd created a new project in Adobe Premiere and imported that "problem project" into it. And it helped! But it's not a solution, because it takes so much time to reindex and reload all the media.

4) Then I copied the "problem project" to another PC where the project folder was located on the internal SATA storage just to take a test. Adobe Premiere loaded the "problem project" correctly without "black timeline" and everything was fine.

5) And at last after surfing this topic I copied the "problem project" file .prproj to my desktop folder, disconnected external USB 3.0 hard drive, opened "problem project" from my desktop in Adobe Premiere, refused to locate media by pressing "Offline All", connected external USB 3.0 drive with media, Linked all the media and it worked. But it's not a solution again.

So we are waiting for the fix from Adobe.

Win 7 64bit

Processor -  Intel Core i5 3570K

Memory - 24 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

MB - Gigabyte Z77 MPower

USB3.0 Drive HGST Touro Desk

Premiere Pro CC 2015.0.2

• 22. Re: Premiere CC Timeline Issues
                                                    tourist07 Level 1

upd:

Hello good people. As I mentioned before I'd got a "black timeline" and Premiere refused to load media (blue loading line on the bottom-right corner) when opening a project saved on another PC.

Today I've found another pretty simple trick to overcome "black timeline" issue on my PC. I hit Ctrl+S to save the project at the very moment when a project is just opened and starts loading, Premiere saves the project, and after a little moment refuses to load media like before, I see the black timeline, then Premiere crashes and I shut it down (or stop the Premiere process if You will). After that I load the same project again and it works! The most important thing is to hit Ctrl+S in time before Premiere stops loading media otherwise you'd not be able to save the project.

• 23. Re: Premiere CC Timeline Issues
                                                      AdobeCooley

Hello tacoshall,

i have has this issue too. Here is a fix that worked for me to keep layers from slipping out of sync.

right click the wrench in the time and click off,"show fx badges". Why it worked WTF knows?

• 24. Re: Premiere CC Timeline Issues
                                                        jean_rené_du92 Level 1

Hi !

Someone I know told me how to get out of the black timeline of death :

Select everything in your project window (Cmd+A). Then hit Cmd+C.

Save, quit and relaunch Premiere.

Don't know why, but it works...

1 person found this helpful
                                                        • 25. Re: Premiere CC Timeline Issues
                                                          RedDirt Level 1

Same problem (started project on MacBook Pro, then moved it to Mac Pro, and this black-timeline happened.).  Following Jean Rene's Cmd+A and Cmd+C trick totally worked.  THanks!!!!!

• 26. Re: Premiere CC Timeline Issues
                                                            mohae88773980

For some reason the issue doesn't seem to resolve itself with that project within a project trick.  What has worked is to Save your project (sans the the screwy sequences) as a new project, then pop into Media browser and import aforementioned screwy sequences from the old project.