9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2018 7:36 AM by nathanp61099585

Why does the keyboard focus keep switching to the menu bar?

tunghoy Level 1

Does anyone else have the problem of Photoshop CS6 constantly setting the keyboard focus to the menu bar? This makes it difficult to use shortcuts.

Typical examples: I want to switch to the Move tool, so I press V, but instead, the View menu drops down. Or I press T for the Type tool, but instead, the Filter menu drops down. This happens often and it's very annoying.

This also happens in Premiere Pro CS6, and happens on both my Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 machines. Doesn't happen in other applications, and is not related to actually using a menu, i.e. if I choose something from a menu, then press V, Photoshop will often work correctly and activate the Move tool. This behavior seems to happen randomly.

• 1. Re: Why does the keyboard focus keep switching to the menu bar?
          Noel Carboni Level 8

You've likely pressed and released Alt, which has activated the menu bar.

I don't really know why more people don't see this issue.  Perhaps it has to do with how folks use their keyboards.  I never see the problem, but then I know to keep off the Alt key unless I'm modifying some operation.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Why does the keyboard focus keep switching to the menu bar?
            tunghoy Level 1

It's as if I hit the Alt key; that's a good way of describing it. But this behavior is only in Photoshop and Premiere Pro.

• 3. Re: Why does the keyboard focus keep switching to the menu bar?
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

ISTM that more and more apps are hiding the menu bar as the default, and new users are expected to work out that they need to hit the Alt key to make menu items visible.  Mind you, as a recently new user of Windows 8, I've had to work a few things out for myself as well.

• 4. Re: Why does the keyboard focus keep switching to the menu bar?
                Noel Carboni Level 8

Alt doesn't really "unhide" the menu bar (speaking of Photoshop), but it's always been the introducer of keyboard operations for "keyboard accessbility" - i.e., operation of Windows applications without mouse.

Alt causes little underlines to show up under the key characters of menu items, and prepares the system for the next character being typed to open a menu - so for example you press something like 'e' and the Edit menu pulls down.  Now you use an arrow key to move to the next item, or maybe a single character that's associated with one of the menu entries.

Photoshop's goals for using modifier keys kind of conflict with this.  They've apparently tried to reach a balance where using the Alt key to modify some operation cancels the introduction of the next menu item. 

But I don't think it's possible to be perfect at that, especially for example if the user presses Alt, decides not to do the operation he was thinking about doing (e.g., zooming out), then just releases the key.  Another factor might be the habits people get into for choosing tools.

As a contrast, one person might not press the Alt key until they're sure they're going to do something with it (e.g., zoom out), and that same person might only choose tools from the Tools panel by clicking on them.  Another person might press the Alt key sometimes, but then stop before doing the operation it modifies.  That same person might be in the habit of choosing tools by their letter (e.g., E for eraser).  It's clear to see how the first person might never get into a condition where the menu introducer key (Alt) leaves them in a state where a menu opens inadvertently, while the latter might see it regularly.

As far as why Photoshop might get into a mode where the menu introduction occurs when you HAVEN'T pressed the Alt key, I don't know; I certainly haven't seen that reported much if at all here on the forum.

-Noel

• 5. Re: Why does the keyboard focus keep switching to the menu bar?
                  ShambokShamie

Hey there tunghoy ... have you found the solution to your problem? I have the same issue and after reading these posts I think I understand whats going on. I use my alt key while I zooming with my mouse wheel ... thats why the alt key keeps selecting

the menus.

• 6. Re: Why does the keyboard focus keep switching to the menu bar?
                    SDAgency Level 1

I have the same issue with the V keystroke for move. I will being to move a layer and all the sudden the focus will change to the menu. I am not hitting alt. Is this fixable?

• 7. Re: Why does the keyboard focus keep switching to the menu bar?
                      roesti Level 1

Same thing happened to me and I did search through these forums.

I found out that I had an app running in the background that had hotkeys shortcut enabled. I turned off the hotkeys and it works fine now. Problem was on CC2015 Photoshop.

Please check if you have any app running in the background, such as a screen grab utility.

2 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Why does the keyboard focus keep switching to the menu bar?
                        TomSnowDesign

Thanks Roesti for tip, I think i found the culprit.

As with some of the other users here I was having the same issues with hotkeys appearing to be pressing alt at the same time, and yes Noel, I know 'not to press alt'.. so thanks for your less than helpful comment..

Anyhoo, I was running display fusion (multi monitor software) and it seemed to be messing with my hotkeys - I know it has a huge amount of hotkey hooks it uses. So I ended the process and the problem immediately stopped. I will have to set adobe software as an exception in the settings.

Thanks again

• 9. Re: Why does the keyboard focus keep switching to the menu bar?
                          nathanp61099585 Level 1

Try minimizing and then reopening Photoshop. Worked for me!