4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2013 6:26 AM by SAFEHARBOR11

External Monitor for editing

Shutterbug Level 1

I am using Premiere Pro CS5 for editing. I capture video via a firewire cable from a mini-dv camcorder to a firewire card on the motherboard. For editing I use the same firewire card and cable connected to a Canopus ADVC 110 with the output via S-video and RCA connections to a CRT monitor. I would like to get away from the CRT monitor and go to a flat screen monitor. However, most of these monitor only have a single connection for a normal hookup to a computer. I like the full screen separate monitor feature and would like to achieve the same thing with a flat screen monitor and get away from the ADVC 110. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: External Monitor for editing
          SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

If editing SD video only, then a CRT is the best solution. As flat panels are all HD resolution, your SD video is going to be upscaled on the display, and will also not really be interlaced. Bottom line, it won't look very good. Been there.

If you do wish to go with the flat panel, and especially if you start working with HD material, then consider the Black Magic Design Intensity Pro, or the Matrox MXO2 Mini devices. These will capture and play back SD and HD video, via analog and HDMI connections in and out.

Not sure about Intensity, but I use MXO2 Mini and can suggest that if editing SD and viewing on an HD display, the MXO2 can be set to hardware-upconvert the output to match the display, 720p or 1080i, using HDMI output, and this will look better than letting the display just "blow up" the SD video source to fill the screen, sending it an HD signal instead.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 2. Re: External Monitor for editing
            Shutterbug Level 1

Thank you for confirming my suspicions. I am using only SD so I will stay 

with the CRT. No further response is required.

[Email flotsam removed.]

• 3. Re: External Monitor for editing
              Shutterbug Level 1

One additional note is that I record all video at 16:9. My CRT monitor only

displays 4:3, so there is some clipping on each side.

• 4. Re: External Monitor for editing
                SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

16:9 SD video is anamorphic (it is still 720x480), so you should not have the sides cut off, but rather the image should look horizontally squished  - you ought to see the whole image, but forced into a 4:3 image where people look tall and thin.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers