4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2013 6:55 PM by gbrmk

Why does the last still always go first?!

gbrmk Level 1

Funny thing keeps happening.  I will have a load of still photos I want to add to eg Video 2 above a gray color matte on video 1.   Using mouse + Shift in a standard way, with everything set to Sort by File Name Ascending, I drag the lot.  Invariably the last picture for some weird reason always puts itself at #1, so that I have to move it manually to the end.

Hey, why?!  LOL   A minor irritation!

Brian

• 1. Re: Why does the last still always go first?!
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Brian

You are using Premiere Elements 11, Windows. Is that correct?

I just took an double check with my Premiere Elements 11 and Project Assets/Sort By/

a. File Name (Ascending)

and

b. Duration (Ascending)

I had two files,

Wildlife.wmv, 30 seconds

and

Windows Movie Maker Sample File.wmv, 12 seconds

Project Assets

List View

Sort By File Name (Ascending)

In Project Assets, Wildlife.wmv on top and Windows Movie Maker Sample File.wmv bottom

When selected there together and dragged to the Expert workspace Timeline together

Wildlife.wmv first, Windows Movie Maker Sample File.wmv, second

Project Assets

List View

Sort By Duration (Ascending)

In Project Assets, Windows Movie Maker Sample File.wmv top and Wildlife.wmv bottom

When selected there together and dragged to the Expert workspace Timeline together

Windows Movie Maker Sample File.wmv first, and Wildlife.wmv, second

I repeated the above with Project Assets in the Grid View and go the same trend in results.

So, I am not clear why you are getting what you described. Could you give us a sampling of the file names involved in

your observations and the duration of each of the files?

If you are in the List View, are you clicking on the "name" tab above the list of imported files. That will reverse the ordering of

the files in Project Assets List View. But, from what you describe, I do not think that is it.

ATR

• 2. Re: Why does the last still always go first?!
            gbrmk Level 1

Here's a screenshot, ATR

Each still is 5 seconds, jpeg, 2000 x 1333 px.

It's just that if you do something like this with any Windows program, or with a batch of photos in Photoshop, it doesn't happen, ie 1,2,3 .....n stays exactly that in its new location and you don't get 2,3,4 ...n and *then* 1 !!

Hope the screenshot makes sense.

BrianScreenshot-Mt-Snowdon-video.jpg

• 3. Re: Why does the last still always go first?!
              A.T. Romano Level 7

gbbrmk

I still have not figured this out yet. I used your screenshot as a model and set up for for both a NTSC and PAL project. 

The Sort By: File Name (Ascending) did not confirm your first, last. Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 64 bit.

This is what I got:

SortBy.JPG

I also did a run where I brought in photos from the Elements Organizer. Still first, first and last, last.

Sometimes the file extension .jpg appears in capital letters .JPG. Let me see if that will make a difference to the first, last matter in Premiere Elements. Just tried it, and it did not.

Need to think about this some more.

To be continued....

ATR

• 4. Re: Why does the last still always go first?!
                gbrmk Level 1

Could it be just a quirk of my Windows system?   It wasn’t just with this Wales video by the way – it’s a regular thing, whatever the cause of it is!

I’m off to get some sleep  LOL

Tomorrow’s another day.

cheers

Brian

PS   Thanks for all the work you’re putting into this.