9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2013 8:50 AM by Shadreck Rukweza

Why I canceled my CC subscription

PierreLouisBeranek Level 1

I tested Premiere Pro CC during the 1 month grace period to decide if I should stick with it or go back to CS6.  I wanted to love it, but after one month of frustration, I canceled my CC subscription.

Here are my top 5 reasons:

1. CC ruins my workflow for adding default transitions.  Instead of giving us new assignable keyboard shortcuts for adding the default video/audio transition to selected clips, and leaving our loved Ctrl-D/Ctrl-Shift-D shortcuts alone for adding default transitions to in/out points at the CTI, which would have been the sensible, respectful thing to do, Adobe went ahead and destroyed the workflow they themselves provided us year after year up until CC.  The result?  The amateur home-video editors that want to add a bunch of identical default transitions to several selected clips now have an easy way to do so.  Professional editors who almost never need to do this, now have to remember to deselect clips every time they want to add a default transition to clips under the CTI.  A royal PITA, and my biggest gripe with CC by far, especially considering how easy it would have been for Adobe to add this new feature while preserving/respecting our conventional workflow for adding transitions.
      2. CC has mile-high transitions that leave a ridiculously small amount of clickable real-estate to click-select the clip or edit point under the transition.  To solve the 'problem' of small transitions in CS6 (I for one never had any trouble with the size of transitions prior to CC), Adobe swung the pendulum way too far in the other direction and created transitions the leave even less clickable real-estate to select the clip or edit point than there was for click-selecting transitions in CS6!  Talk about a lack of self control and poor judgment!
      3. CC breaks all logic when drag-dropping clips from the Source Monitor to the Timeline.  In Premiere Pro CC, the 'Drag Video Only' and 'Drag Audio Only' buttons in the Source Monitor no longer work as expected.  If only video is Source Patched in the Timeline, drag-dropping the Source Monitor's image to the Timeline only drops the video portion of the clip.  Drag-dropping a clip using the 'Drag Audio Only' button no longer works.  The same applies vice versa when only audio is Source Patched.  The 'Drag Video Only' button no longer works.  The result?  The interface no longer works as expected from CS6, while providing zero user benefits as far as I and others, and even Adobe reps can tell!  For more info, see this thread.
      4. The 'Nudge Clip Selection Up/Down' commands introduced in CC are so ridiculously bad, it's flat out insulting to one's intelligence.  When selecting clips and using the new commands, if you move video up a track, audio moves down a track, and vice versa. This goes against logic and editing conventions ever since NLE's were invented!  The logical behavior would be for video and audio to move in tandem.  Thus video up a track = audio up a track.  The result of the current behavior?  If an editor tries to move a video/audio clip up a track from V1/A1 using the new commands, the command simply doesn't work and reports at 'collision' on A1 (since it tries to move the audio from A1 to A0 which doesn't exist, rather than to A2, in sync with the video which would be moved to V2).  How something this obviously flawed ever got released, I'll never know.  More info in this thread.
      5. Multicam Angles and 'Preview' (now the Program Monitor) still occupy the same window.   By occupying the same window, users can't: use full screen toggle for either the Program Monitor and/or the Multicam Angles, can't position the windows independently on two separate monitors, can't do any of limitless display configurations that would have been so easily achieved by putting Multicam Angles in their own window. Once again, this design choice is so illogical, it's hard to understand how it got released.  More info in this thread.

As far as I know, new features released in an upgrade should always make a product better, not worse.  However, Adobe released several new 'features' in CC that either make things worse (#1-3), don't work properly (#4), or don't provide any improvement over the flawed original design (#5).

Until Adobe cleans up its act and at the very least fixes these 5 aggravations that were added to CC, I'll be sticking with CS6.  'Join through edit' and the other little improvements made in CC are nice to have, but certainly don't justify putting up with new 'features' that actually make my workflow less productive.  At least that's my view.

Quote-of-the-day-Bill-Gates.jpg

I certainly wouldn't consider myself Adobe's unhappiest customer (after all I'll stick with CS6 for now), but I'm probably one of the more vocal ones when it comes to dissatisfaction with some of the poor choices they make.  IMO, Adobe stands most to learn from its vocal customers that speak up when something is wrong.  So I hope they pay attention.  As for sending official FRs, for those that don't know, I already have, probably well over 100 to date.  But it seems that FRs aren't enough.  So I'm sharing my thoughts here as well. 

• 1. Re: Why I canceled my CC subscription
          shooternz Level 6

The logical behavior would be for video and audio to move in tandem.

I cant see any particular logic in that and would argue from my own circumstances...how it is now..is entirely logical.ie I tend to use multiple layers of video over a single clip of audio ....so re-arranging video layers is part of my workflow.

Video is layer order dependent and audio tracks dont care where they are. Why move them? (But of course one can if one wants to.)

Point 3 - Enough options in there to do what ever anyone wants IMHO (despite the instance of inconsistency)

The rest of your issues with CS7 obviously personally affect you enough to drive you to your decision and I cant argue with them.

• 2. Re: Why I canceled my CC subscription
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I rather like number 1 myself.  Makes my work flow easier.  I have been caught having to deselect first, but I'll get used to it.  And the advantage of adding multiple transitions with the default shortcuts is a very nice time saver.  I also have no troubles selecting either a clip or an edit point, but the new wider transitions do make it a lot easier to select the transition, so I like that one too.

I can't argue with 3 and 4 myself.  We're in agreement on those, though I wouldn't give up all the benefits of CC7 because of those.  They're minor irregularities that can be worked around.

My multicam work flow is, I believe, the most efficient possible.  Live cut from multicam view, then tweak in the sequence.  It doesn't require any special arrangement of windows, as only one at a time get's used.  I'd recommend everyone switch to that most efficient work flow.  Then, no problem.

• 3. Re: Why I canceled my CC subscription
              Shadreck Rukweza Level 2

We welcome you back to CS6. Lst week we received updates fixing the AVCHD bugs and the tick time error caused by the warp stabiliser.

• 4. Re: Why I canceled my CC subscription

Jim Simon wrote:

It doesn't require any special arrangement of windows, as only one at a time get's used.  I'd recommend everyone switch to that most efficient work flow.  Then, no problem.

Your comment is just about as illogical as placing both the Multicam Angles and the Program Monitor in the same window.  Did you miss the part I mentioned that this design prohibits users from using either of those interface elements in full screen mode?

"I'd recommend everyone switch to that most efficient work flow."... which is what exactly Jim?  Accept Adobe's painfully illogical interface for multicam editing, whereby we have next to zero choice on how we want to configure our camera angles and our Program Monitor because they're both stuck in the same window instead of individually positionable/resizable/maximizable windows?

Jim Simon wrote:

I rather like number 1 myself.  Makes my work flow easier.  I have been caught having to deselect first, but I'll get used to it.

As I mentioned, the way default transitions get applied to all selected clips is beneficial in some very limited editing circumstances, such as when an editor wants to add the same cross-fade to dozens of pictures in a slideshow, for example.  However how many times do professional editors encounter this situation vs. the times they want to apply the default transition to only one or more edit points under the CTI?  What Adobe gave us is a feature that benefits the few, to the detriment of the many.  Requiring that editors now use 2 keystrokes instead of 1 every time they want to add a default transition to the CTI (1 to deselected clips + 1 to add the default transition), just so they can save time in the very rare instances that their professional workflows require the addition of a bunch of identical transitions between a selection of clips (I, for one, have not encountered this editing situation a single time over the past 5 years of editing!), is a very very bad trade-off.  Even though you might find it useful Jim, not everyone else does, which is why Adobe should have given us a NEW keyboard shortcut for adding transitions to clip selections rather than altering our old shortcuts for adding transitions to the CTI.

shooternz wrote:

Video is layer order dependent and audio tracks dont care where they are. Why move them? (But of course one can if one wants to.)

That's a good point, and one that Adobe missed.  Why move audio clips at all when using the 'nugde clip selection up/down' commands, even if the audio portion gets auto-selected by selecting linked video clips?! Unfortunately, those commands insist on moving audio clips whenever they are automatically selected together with their linked video.  This is already a nuisance since I only ever want my video clips nudged, NEVER my audio.  But to have the audio nudged in the wrong direction?  That's just too painfully stupid to bear.   shooternz, I think you misinterpreted what I meant when I wrote that video and audio should move in tandem.  It would be preferable for only video to get nudged/moved, but if audio must move too whenever selected, then, and only then, should it move in the same logical direction as video.  For audio to move opposite to video (for example video from V2 to V3 = audio from V2 to V1) is illogical by editing convention, whereby clips always move in tandem by default.  For example, drag a clip from the Project Window to the Timeline and drag the video portion from V1 to V3.  See how the audio portion also moves from A1 to A3, in tandem?  This is how it works by default when drag-dropping clips in every version of PP and FCP.  So why break that convention in the case of these new keyboard shortcuts?  It makes zero sense.

shooternz wrote:

Point 3 - Enough options in there to do what ever anyone wants IMHO (despite the instance of inconsistency)

Inconsistent options that work in some instances but not in others, while clearly going against pre-existing workflow conventions that worked perfectly well, are not acceptable options IMHO.  "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" goes the saying.  Apparently someone at Adobe thinks the opposite: "If it works now in CS6, let's break it in CC!" 

Yes, srukweza, I'm glad to see that Adobe is fixing CS6 bugs even now that CC is out.  That's commendable.  I'm looking forward to seeing what new features and fixes Adobe brings to CC to determine when, for me, it becomes a worthy upgrade rather than downgrade to CS6.

• 5. Re: Why I canceled my CC subscription
                  shooternz Level 6

Everyone has their  own "show stopper" point.

The CC subscription model came close to being mine.

• 6. Re: Why I canceled my CC subscription

You're quite right.

Everyone also has their "can't live without it" point, which I unfortunately didn't find in PPCC.  I'm just glad that Adobe is no longer forced to hold back new features to yearly upgrades, so depending on what they add to CC in the coming months, I'll be more than glad to return to it if its pros outweigh its cons for my workflow.

• 7. Re: Why I canceled my CC subscription
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Did you miss the part I mentioned that this design prohibits users from using either of those interface elements in full screen mode?

How so?  The ` still works here to maximize the multicamera frame.  Are you talking about Cinema mode, where the GUI disappears entirely?

which is what exactly Jim?

Cut live in the multicam window, then close that and tweak in the sequence.

how many times do professional editors encounter this situation vs. the times they want to apply the default transition to only one or more edit points under the CTI?

Don't forget the new feature allows you to set a fade in and a fade out at the same time to a title (or ay other clip) with one shortcut.  I like that, and use it often.

• 8. Re: Why I canceled my CC subscription

Jim Simon wrote:

How so?  The ` still works here to maximize the multicamera frame.  Are you talking about Cinema mode, where the GUI disappears entirely?

By 'full screen mode' I meant just that, 'full screen mode', not 'maximized window mode'.  With both interface elements stuck together, while doing Multicam editing:

Maximize Camera Angles full screen = not possible

Maximize Program Monitor full screen = not possible

Maximized Window for just Camera Angles or Program Monitor = not possible

Freely positionable/sizable Camera Angles or Program Monitor on separate monitors = not possible

Should I go on with just how dumb a design decision it was for Adobe to lock the Camera Angles and Program Monitor into the same window?  It truly baffles me when something is so obviously wrong, and yet not only does it get released that way, but some users actually come out and defend the horrible design.  Almost comes across as fanboyism IMO.

Jim Simon wrote:

Cut live in the multicam window, then close that and tweak in the sequence.

This "most efficient work flow.  Then, no problem." workflow you recommend we all use has absolutely nothing to do with the problems arising from this terrible design decision.  So I still don't get your point.

Jim Simon wrote:

Don't forget the new feature allows you to set a fade in and a fade out at the same time to a title (or ay other clip) with one shortcut.  I like that, and use it often.

That's a valid point.  However, in the month I tested PPCC, I perhaps came across 3 situations where the new behavior saved me 1 additional step of setting a second default transition on a clip.  So I saved 3 keystrokes in exchange for the hundreds of additional deselect clips and undo keystrokes I've had to do because of this new feature that was forced upon us.  Hardly a productive trade-off I would say.   Users should have the choice of how default transitions get applied.  Period.  With a new keyboard shortcut to apply default video/audio transitions to selected clips, Adobe could so easily give us that choice.  Rather than giving us a choice, they arrogantly assumed to know what's best for all of their editors and altered our keyboard shortcuts while giving us zero choice in the matter.

That's exactly the way I see it: extreme arrogance on their part.  Just because someone on the PP team imagines that everyone wants transitions to always be applied to selected clips by default (even arbitrarily selected clips that are off screen!!), does NOT mean that that's what everyone wants.  For them to give us a choice, especially in this situation where user choice is so called for, would have been a humble, respectful move.  I'm looking forward to the day that Adobe displays more respect and humility for its users, and less arrogance.  I know some people will object to me using that term, but I just call it as I see it.  Pretending otherwise does not change the reality of the situation.

• 9. Re: Why I canceled my CC subscription
                          Shadreck Rukweza Level 2

The Multicamera design in CC is badly flawed I have to agree. If I do my live cuts in the multicamera view, when tweaking and correcting the edits in the sequence I can't preview my Multicamera angles as I did in CS6. Like for instance if I would like to switch from a panning camera 1 to a steady shot in camera 2 or 3 I haven't got the opportunity to see all the angles. In CS6 dragging the CTI would show all the cameras in motion and with audio in the Preview monitor for that particular section and you will just the camera you want. Imagine if you have 6 or more angles and you want to change the angle you cut in the Live cut window..... This is totally absurd Adobe!!