9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2013 12:21 AM by Asher31

How to make list numbering restart

Asher31

Hi everyone,

I'm sure this is a really simple on that i just don't know, but what i'm trying to do is restart the numbering after every H2 (in the red in the image) i've played around wtih all the settings and can't work it out.

numbering issue.jpg

So basically i just want the "3. Read text below......" to actually be #1. I have given them all the same style and this will be a big document so giving each set of numbers their own style isn't really realistic (i don't think)

Any help is appricaited or if you need more infomation just let me know, thanks in advance

Asher

EDIT: I've been playing around and managed to get the effect i wanted, but i don't know how i did it, and also then the next level down now runs it's own number system without restarts so i basically still have the same problem. Any help would be great, thanks

• 1. Re: How to make list numbering restart
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

If you want to do it the good way:

1. Create a paragraph style for list numbering to continue numbering  in Bullets & Number section and give it the name "List 2ff" (or whatever you want), select or create a list for this numbers
          2. Create a second paragraph style based on the first one, change in bullet and numbering to restart at 1, change also next paragraph is "List 2ff" or whatever you named it.
          3. Select the paragraphs which you want to become the list and click with right mouse button and select Apply + Next Style (or similar wording)

Working method, not so good: Go to the paragraph which you want to start with 1 and select with right mouse click in the context menu the item which will restart numbering with 1.

• 2. Re: How to make list numbering restart
            Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Willi's solution is ingenious.

I never thought of using "Next Style" to assign the style for number 1 and another style for the rest.  But it is limited in that you can't swap number 1 with number 2 without having to reassign the styles.

I use a diffrent method which, if I remember correctly, was suggested by Bob Levine shortly after ID introduced numbered lists.

Here is an example of the text that I have numbered correctly

example.png

I have two styles. One for the text that interrupts the numbers called Body Text and another style for the Numbers.

I start by creating a numbered list for the Body Text.

Numbered lists1.png

I'm adding a numbered list "tag" to this, but the Format is None. I've taken out any symbols for the Number and the Mode Starts At 1. The Level is also 1.

Next I want to format the Numbers.

numbered lists 3.png

After I set the Format and the Number symbols, I set the Mode to Continue from Previous level.

After that, I set the Level to 2. At this point the numbers are continuing past the body text.

But by setting the Level, this opens up the option to Restart Numbers at This Level After Any Previous Level.

That is engineering-speak for start at 1 if there is another level of numbered list before this one.

The benefit of this is I can add an item before Number 1, or delete number 1, or swap 2 for 1 and the numbering stays the same.

• 3. Re: How to make list numbering restart
              Asher31 Level 1

Thanks heaps, will give the first option a try and i didn't know about the 'context menu' way so might check that out too.like a bit of a h

Still, both feel like a bit of a hack, surely there is a way to set it up so it just works without needing to trick it or anything, hmmmm

• 4. Re: How to make list numbering restart
                Asher31 Level 1

Thanks heaps, not sure this method would work for me so well, but reading through i've learnt a bit and it gives me a couple of ideas on what might work at solving this in a 'less hacking' sort of way...

And as i said to Willli, surely there is a way to set it up so it just works without needing to trick it or anything, hmmmm

• 5. Re: How to make list numbering restart
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Asher Robinson wrote:

And as i said to Willli, surely there is a way to set it up so it just works without needing to trick it or anything, hmmmm

Surely? If there were these methods wouldn't have been worked out and offered.

• 6. Re: How to make list numbering restart
                    Asher31 Level 1

Can't argue with that, haha, thank you for putting it into perspective.

• 7. Re: How to make list numbering restart
                      Asher31 Level 1

Alright so i found / worked out the solution without hacking it (so much) but only thanks to using parts of both ideas that were suggested so thank you...

What i had to do was:
                      1) Make sure all styles to be considered in the heirachy used the same list style

2) Make the style that would act as the 'reseter' level 1 BUT make sure it doesn't actually show the number (so it's like a hidden level)

3) Make the style where the numbering starts level 1 too (not sure why but it's what works)

4) Make the next style level 2 (i imagine this would go on infinately but i'm not sure)

This seems to work really well so far but i couldn't of gotten there with out Sandee & Willi's help early on, so massive thank you. (should i mark this as solved or something?)

• 8. Re: How to make list numbering restart
                        Michael Gianino Level 4

Another variation that I learned from the forum (probably from Peter Spier or Bob Levine) was that if your numbered list that needed to restart always came after something styled with another paragraph style (such as body type or a subhead or something) that you could make that body or subhead a numbered list without showing a number, but have it start at zero. That way, the body type wouldn't show the zero, but every numbered list that came after it would continue from the body type's zero and start with one. The difference is that you don't need to mess with levels—which aren't themselves any problem, but it's always good to have alternatives.

• 9. Re: How to make list numbering restart
                          Asher31 Level 1

Makes perfect sense, very similar to how i ended up solving it in the end, cheers for the other point of view, i might be able to improve my solution now too