18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2013 4:08 PM by lthhh

File can't be opened any more

lthhh

I have a file, just text, no images, seize 7mb.

I've copied two text fields from this file and added them to a different Indesign file. From then on both files didn't work again. Indesign simply stopped working and I had to use the taskmanager to close and restart Indesign. One file could be saved eventually (the bigger one), but the file where I copied the text from doesn't open anymore. Indesign simply immidiately stops functioning. Any idea what happend?? And how can I restore the file? Auto restore doesn't work either!

Thanks for help

• 1. Re: File can't be opened any more
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Find and empty your InDesign Recovery folder (by default it will be in the same folder as the InDesign SavedData file which location is listed for various OS versions at Replace Your Preferences). This is probably a hidden folder, so you need to find out how to show hidden files and folders on yoru OS if you don't know. Once the recovery folder is empty, ID should start normally, and if it is not damaged, the last saved version of your file ought to open from the File menu.

• 2. Re: File can't be opened any more
            lthhh Level 1

Thanks, but that didn't solve the problem. I found the folder and emptied it. I tried to open the backupfile from my external harddrive, but Indesign again doesn't work. The taskmanager says: No response from Indesign.

The cache folder contains a file "Indesign saved data" with 13mb. The date is excactly the day the "drama" began...

• 3. Re: File can't be opened any more

SavedData shouldn't be a factor, but it won't cause any real damage to delete or rename it. It's the half of the preference set that contains things like the open recent list. It's not surprising that the prefs files would carry the same date, either. They get written to disk each time the program is closed successfully.

You might want to try renaming the two files (InDesign SavedData) and InDesign Defaults, which is in a different folder, to reset the prefs as described in the article, but it the program actually is launching (that's not entirely clear to me from the last post) I dont think it will help. Are you getting the "not responding" error at launch from an InDesign program icon, or when double-clicking a file?

From the refernce to taskmanager I'm thinking you are using Windows, but could you confirm? And which version of ID?

• 4. Re: File can't be opened any more
                lthhh Level 1

I'm using Windows 7 and Indesign CS5.5 (Version 7.5).

If I launch ID and open a file from there, it's no problem (except of this certain file of course). But if I launch ID by double clicking a file and work on sth. eventually there is no response any more. And as I said even the backupfile with a different title and a different path causes instant problems

• 5. Re: File can't be opened any more
                  Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

I'm throwing out everything I can think of in addition to Peter's comments.

Try moving the file from the backup disk to your regular hard drive.

Did you restart InDesign?

Did you restart your computer?

Try making a new user to open the file.

Total Disaster Solution

1. Make a backup of the file.
                  2. Get a plain text application. I use Text Wrangler because the Mac Text Edit format the damn thing. I think Notepad on Windows will be fine.
                  3. Open the file. You will see tons and tons of garbage.
                  4. Do a search or scroll down through the muck and mire to find your text.
                  5. Copy and paste it into any "safe" document.
                  • 6. Re: File can't be opened any more

lthhh wrote:

And as I said even the backupfile with a different title and a different path causes instant problems

Even if that's the first thing you open after restarting ID (and clearing out the recovery folder)? It's entirely possible the backup is also corrupt if that's the case.

Some other things to try....

Open as a copy instead of as Original.

Create a new user account and try that.

See if the file will open in a newer version. You can download the trial, or perhaps you'd like me to try here, which may have some advantages. If the problem is a bad link or font, using a different computer might allow you to open with missing links and different copies of (or missing) fonts. That should actually work for CS5.5 as well as a newer version. If you get it open, export to .idml immediately. See Remove minor corruption by exporting

Is CS5 patched to 7.5.3? Do you use a font manager?

and finally, there is a tool for windows that might recover the file, though I've never had it work (others have reported success, however): Adobe Community: Program for restoring corrupted InDesign documents (for Windows only)

• 7. Re: File can't be opened any more
                      lthhh Level 1

Yes, even if it's the first thing I open in ID and after clearing the recovery folder...

The version is 7.5.3 and I'm a beginner on ID. So if I'm not aware if I'm using a font manager - does that mean I don't? ...

I tried to open a copy - doesn't work...

So yes please - if you can help me with a newer version, I'd appreciate that. I have no different computer to use. ID says there are no new updates...

• 8. Re: File can't be opened any more

You probably don't use a font manager if you don't know it. Watch your email for a Private Message with instruction to sen the file to me.

• 9. Re: File can't be opened any more

I think I've found the problem but I'm still working on trying to get it fixed without crashing ID in the process.

• 10. Re: File can't be opened any more

I'm fairly sure I'll be able to recover a file that you can work with, but it will take a couple of hours, and I need to leave the office shortly for a few hours, so be patient, or tell me not to bother (I think markzware could probably recover this for your, to, but it will cost. See Bad InDesign or Quark File Recovery Submission Form)

As near as I can tell, there are two instances of invisible text that don't seem to be in any sort of frame or other container that can be selected at the tops of pages 5 & 7. I'm currently trying to move pages to a new file, but ID is not responding and I'm not sure if it's really hung, or just taking a long time due to all the embedded images (you really should unembed them and link them instead, if we get this to work). I suspect it's hung, but I don't want to force quit until I return.

I'm also curious about your table of contents which is threaded int the main story. Did you build this manaually, or use ID's TOC feature, and if the latter, how did you get it into that thread?

• 11. Re: File can't be opened any more
                              lthhh Level 1

I've no idea what happened. I copied two textfields and put them into another Indesign file (without any connection between both files - I just needed the text). After that both files where a mess. And those pages were at the end, without any images. The table of contend was built with the TOC feature. But as I said: I've no idea what happened and how this file looks like now...

As I'm from Germany, I will be "out of office" soon too. But I'm very grateful for your help! There's still a lot to learn for me...

• 12. Re: File can't be opened any more

It's not going quite as well as I hoped...

I figured if the page move failed I'd be able to get the text through export to text or by using the clipboard, but it looks like it's going to hang on that, too.

• 13. Re: File can't be opened any more

I've had no success at all. Turns out I was wrong about my first assuption of what was wrong -- that text was on a hidden layer and I was able to remove it after all, and still no way to get the rest of the text out of the document, which says to me that there is some little piece of text someplace in that 200 page story that's a problem.

The SplitStory.jsx sample script seems to run here without crashing, which means I could probably now extract the text page by page until I find the problem, but I don't have time to do it for you. I'd definitely consider the markzware service if you need this file. I think it's going to be the most cost-effective solution.

Sorry.

• 14. Re: File can't be opened any more
                                    lthhh Level 1

Ok, I will consider that.

Thanks a lot for your help and your patience!

• 15. Re: File can't be opened any more
                                      MW Design Level 4

Did you try the recovery application Peter lists at the end of post #6? If not, it only takes a few seconds to download and try both the file recovery or just the text options.

• 16. Re: File can't be opened any more
                                        lthhh Level 1

I did - didn't work in my case...

• 17. Re: File can't be opened any more

It does look like it will recover the text, though. I'd forgotten to try it.

I think the covered text, though not styled, is probably clean if you want to try importing into a new file.

• 18. Re: File can't be opened any more
                                            lthhh Level 1

Thanks. I will try and find the most suitable way. The text file is still available to me, so I still can/have to re-do the whole file