8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2013 2:16 AM by Vamitul

How to find a footnote's number?

Vamitul Level 4

more specificaly:

how can i get the TEXT (string) that is displayed in a footnote reference (in the example * and **):

Capture-fn.PNG

and... how can i get it's number in the parent story? (i select a footnote, and i want to know if it's the 5'th, 10'th etc in it's parent story).

The index property does not work, because the "containing object" is the document, and if the document has more stories with more footnotes it gives wrong results.

indexnumberreadonlyThe index of the Footnote within its containing object.
        • 1. Re: How to find a footnote's number?
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Vamitul – hm. This is a little "toughy"…

But let's see:
          The character in the story, that represents the footnote number or sign (in your example the * or **) has a contents property.

And this contents property has the value of: "FOOTNOTE_SYMBOL".

You should be able to count thiese FOOTNOTE_SYMBOLs in a particular story. A TEXT search should do.
          What you cannot get in a direct way is the "visible contents" or "visible representation" of that symbol (the * or the particular number)!

If you want that, you need to analyze the footnote options. From that you should be able to determine what kind of symbol it might be (amongst other properties) and calculate the symbol's content from that…

Just an outline of my thoughts here.

Uwe

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to find a footnote's number?
            Vamitul Level 4

so..

1) select the footnote reference (myFnRef)

2)  seach myFnRef.parentStory for "~F" (array: myFound)

3) compare myFound[i].what?? to myFnRef.what (index? does it work? "The index of the text in the collection or parent object". what is the parent object. is it always a story?)

considering i have to do this two times a day for documents ranging in 2000 pages, 100+ stories and between 5000 and 12000 footnotes... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gciFoEbOA8

• 3. Re: How to find a footnote's number?
              Jump_Over Level 5

Hi,

If some footnote is selected

myFoot = app.selection[0].footnotes[0];
              whichOne = myFoot.index - myFoot.parent.footnotes[0].index;

whichOne should be a "relative" index in a current story.

A "visible representation" is a bigger effort since you should iterate through "FootnoteNumberingStyle" content checking other footnoteOptions, i.e. restartNumbering.

If you will check a footnote.texts[0].charCodeAt(0) ==> is 4 - it means EOT - so some kind of magic have been done here

Jarek

• 4. Re: How to find a footnote's number?
                Vamitul Level 4

jarek, are you sure? I can't test now, but in my earlier tests myFoot.index returned it's number in the document, not the story and now as i am writing this i realize it doesn't matter because myFoot.parent.footnotes[0].index also returns the document relative numer and the difference is what i need for story based numbering but what if the restartNumbering is set on "Section" or "Page".. gggghhh....

• 5. Re: How to find a footnote's number?
                  Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Vamitul – just tested…
                  Yes! The "relative" index in the current story is working.

chsrCodeAt(0) does not bring any new value to the game.
                  Btw. it's:

app.selection[0].footnotes[0].texts[0].contents.charCodeAt(0); //returns always 4

Now we have to work out the situation for restartNumbering and the other options:

1. Numbering format: 9 different options

2. Starting at …

3. Restart numbering:

3.1 By document (options in the UI un-checked!)

3.2 By page

3.3 By spread

3.4 By section

Ok. We can look up the parentTextFrames[0] and determine from its parent or parentPage on what spread or exact page the frame is sitting.

The case is getting complicated now ;-)

I'd say "Arrgh!" instead of "gggghhh...."

See the following screen shots.
                  "restartNumbering" is set to "Page" on all.

Screen 1, threaded story in 3 parts on the same page:

All fine. Footnotes from 1 to 6 in a geometrical order.

Footnotes_OneThread_OnePage.png

Screen 2, threaded story in 3 parts, 2 parts on the same page, 1 (the middle one) on the pasteboard:

Now look at this: despite the same story, three times the same footnote numbers!

Footnotes_OneThread_OnePage_OneTFonPasteboard.png

Screen 3, you can expand this example in a zick-zack way:

FootnotesInZickZack1.png

Only no 1s in every footnote…

Screen 4, now I moved the 3rd text frame of the thread to the pasteboard:

FootnotesInZickZack2.png

Screen 5, and now it's getting very nasty with the numbering! :

FootnotesInZickZack3.png

The numbering isn't logically any more. At least I cannot see the logic here :-(
                  It should be:
                  TF1 => 1 (on the page)
                  TF2 => 1 (1st on the pasteboard)
                  TF3 => 2 (2nd on the pasteboard)
                  TF4 should be 3, but it's 1 again! (3rd on the pasteboard)
                  TF5 => 1 (on the page again)

TF6 => 1 (in the pasteboard again)

Moving TF5 to the pasteboard will reorder the numbering:FootnotesInZickZack4.png

Like I said. It's more "Arrrrgh!!!"

Uwe

Message was edited by: Laubender

• 6. Re: How to find a footnote's number?
                    Vamitul Level 4

Thank you Uwe.

Guess i have to get back to the drawing board. For now i will use the myFoot.index - myFoot.parent.footnotes[0].index trick to get stuff working on a story based case.

Basicly i need to create custom footnote numbering that restarts based on paragraph styles, and combines numbering like 1), 2), 3) with *) **) and 1a), 1b), 2a) etc.

I keep wanting to get started with the Indesign SDK and C++, and this seems like a good way to jump in.

• 7. Re: How to find a footnote's number?
                      Jump_Over Level 5

Hi,

Let assume your stories are not playing with pasteboard (lack of logic shown by Uwe).

So you could create a "footnote map" array to "quite easy" find relative index:

var mDocFoot = app.activeDocument.stories.everyItem().footnotes.everyItem().getElements(),
                                restart = +app.activeDocument.footnoteOptions.restartNumbering,
                                RelIdx = 0,
                                FootMap = [],
                                prevStory = mDocFoot[0].storyOffset.parentStory.index,
                                prevPage = mDocFoot[0].storyOffset.parentTextFrames[0].parentPage.documentOffset,
                                prevSpread = mDocFoot[0].storyOffset.parentTextFrames[0].parent.index,
                                prevSec = mDocFoot[0].storyOffset.parentTextFrames[0].parentPage.appliedSection.index,
                                currStory, currPage, currSpread, currSec, selIdx, currRelatIdx, k;

for (k = 0; k < mDocFoot.length; k ++){
                                     currStory = mDocFoot[k].storyOffset.parentStory.index;
                                     currPage = mDocFoot[k].storyOffset.parentTextFrames[0].parentPage.documentOffset;
                                     currSpread = mDocFoot[k].storyOffset.parentTextFrames[0].parent.index;
                                     currSec = mDocFoot[k].storyOffset.parentTextFrames[0].parentPage.appliedSection.index;
                                     if (currStory != prevStory) 
                                          {RelIdx = 1; prevStory = currStory; FootMap.push(RelIdx); continue;} 
                                     switch (restart) {
                                          case 1180988019:  RelIdx++; break;
                                          case 1181774451: 
                                               if (currPage == prevPage) RelIdx++; 
                                               else {RelIdx = 1; prevPage = currPage;} break;
                                          case 1181971059:
                                               if (currSpread == prevSpread) RelIdx++; 
                                               else {RelIdx = 1; prevSpread = currSpread;} break;
                                          case 1181053555:
                                               if (currSec == prevSec) RelIdx++; 
                                               else {RelIdx = 1; prevSec = currSec;} break;
                                          }
                                     FootMap.push(RelIdx);
                                }
                           selIdx = app.selection[0].footnotes[0].index;
                           currRelatIdx = FootMap[selIdx];

But restart them regarding on paraStyle? Hm... They still should be listed on a bottom of column? Looks like a kind of "monk job" until you get a key for SDK doors.

Wish you luck, anyway.

Jarek

• 8. Re: How to find a footnote's number?
                        Vamitul Level 4

actually, the idea is quite simple:

1) create a "hidden" character style: textColor=none, size=0.1pt, scale=1%. for all intents and purposes any text that has this style is completely invisible on screen or print

2) apply said hidden char style to all footnote references in text.

3) after each footnote reference insert the needed number ( ex: ***), or 1a), the numbering format being based on applied paragraph style), format it as needed (superscript blah blah), apply on it and on the adjacent (invisible) footnote reference "no break" just as an added precaution.

3a) take advantage of the footnote object "insertLabel" method to store the "number" used for it, for further reference