8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2013 8:27 AM by BobLevine

Mac InDesign CS2 app won't work!

greenbetty

Nothing else has changed. iMac Pro OS 10.5.8. Retired now. Don't plan on updating anything (read "fixed income").  Icon for app is there; click on it and I get "application quit unexpectedly" yet it never opened in the first place. Can't open any existing documents. Frustrated to heck!

• 1. Re: Mac InDesign CS2 app won't work!
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Has it been reinstalled? If it's trying to activate it can't because the CS2 activation servers have been shut down. For registered users Adobe has posted downloads and serial numbers for replacement CS2 versions that do not require activation at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=cs2_downloads

Even if you are not trying to re-activate it may be worthwhile to reinstall with the new version.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Mac InDesign CS2 app won't work!
            greenbetty Level 1

So the re-install worked!  A moment of panic when my original serial number was not accepted; I even tried my PageMaker 7.0 serial number. But we went back to the downloads page online and worked it out.

I still miss my PageMaker. Started PM 3.0. When I first got CS2, I phoned Adobe asking how to do some simple thing that I used all the time in PM, but could not seem to accomplish in CS2. And I quote the tech rep on the phone:   "Oh, we couldn't figure out how to do that, so we just dropped it."  !!!!!!!!!!!!!  Was never happy with CS2! One works with what one has. Now I'm slogging my way thru Mac's Pages. Somehow, it takes 5 steps or more to accomplish what I did in PM with just 1-2.

But thank you for your help. I'm reading my ol' CS2 documents and I'm saving to PDF the ones that would be missed if not available.  Again, thanks.

• 3. Re: Mac InDesign CS2 app won't work!

I still miss my PageMaker. Started PM 3.0. When I first got CS2, I phoned Adobe asking how to do some simple thing that I used all the time in PM, but could not seem to accomplish in CS2. And I quote the tech rep on the phone:   "Oh, we couldn't figure out how to do that, so we just dropped it." 

What were you trying to do?

• 4. Re: Mac InDesign CS2 app won't work!
                greenbetty Level 1

I'm afraid that is lost in the haze of years. How long has it been since CS2 was new? I only remember the extreme frustration. I know I probably have never used all of the features of CS2. I used to do newsletters for small organizations, text and images melded together. I used to say I really needed only PageMaker, FileMaker (it wasn't Pro yet), and PhotoShop. I was happy with my little pickups, but they had to convert everything to 18-wheeler trucks. At least they came out with PhotoShop Elements. Maybe an InDesign Elements wouldn't be such a bad idea. At least I would be able to afford it and therefore look forward to updating my OS.

• 5. Re: Mac InDesign CS2 app won't work!

I honestly can't think of a thing you could do in Pagemaker that can't be done in CS2, but I've heard plenty of reports of advice and statements from phone support that were just plain wrong because it's been contracted out to people who've never actually used the software.

• 6. Re: Mac InDesign CS2 app won't work!
                    greenbetty Level 1

As I recollect, it was not so much the actual getting it done as how you accomplished it. A simple keystroke and a click of the mouse vs. grinding one's way thru complex and arcane instructions and many movements. The lack of virtual ergonomics, if you will.

• 7. Re: Mac InDesign CS2 app won't work!

Without knowing exactly what you were doing I can't say, but almost everything is simpler in ID than it was in Pagemaker (you do need to draw a text frame, though, which wasn't required in PM). I think I'll trade that for stoked frames replacing grouped keylines any day.

• 8. Re: Mac InDesign CS2 app won't work!
                        BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

AMEN to that!