I have put together a movie containing a FLVPlayback
component. I need to make closed captioning available for the
videos that are played back within the FLVPlayback component. I
have no problems updating the .contentPath of the FLVPlayback
component and can initially set the captionDisplay.source however,
I have not been able to figure out at this point how to properly
update the captionDisplay.source. At this point everything I have
tried results in the captioning only being displayed for the
initial video and only the first time it is displayed or no
captioning is displayed at all.
I am using the CaptionedSkins 1.4 available via Flash
Exchange in conjunction with Flash 8 Professional and have created
external DFXP XML files with MAGpie. Also note that I am restricted
to ActionScript 2.0 in this particular project.
A point in the right direction ... anything would be most
I'm actually a little surprised at the lack of response.
Fortunately I have come up with a work around to my issue though it
is not exactly what I was hoping to do. Regardless I will share it
here so that it may be of assistance to anyone else experiencing a
I have gone with the assumption that it is not possible to
dynamically update the captionDisplay.source since defining "a
local reference to the captioned skin's captionDisplay instance" is
"technically a hack" and I have been been unsuccessful in obtaining
any additional information on how to change the value of the
captionDisplay.source at runtime. All attempts I have made to do so
have yielded unexpected results. Namely, the captioning contained
in the external timed text file fail to display.
What I ended up doing was to create additional frames in the
fla. When a new frame is entered a unique instance of the
FLVPlayback component is generated with the captionDisplay.source
set to the relative url of the timed text document. The
disadvantage to this, in my humble opinion, is that I am not simply
able to update the properties of a single FLVPlayback component.
Note that I've not experienced any issue with updating the
contentPath of the FLVPlayback at runtime.