14 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2013 1:20 AM by dougofakkad RSS

How can I warp an arch into a rectangle?

philipking Community Member

I have an arch-shaped illustration and want to morph/warp/distort/remap it to a rectangle.

The effect I'm after is the exact opposite of Envelope Distort > Arc.

I’d be grateful for suggestions, this has me stumped!

Philip

• 1. Re: How can I warp an arch into a rectangle?
          Kurt Gold Community Member

Can you show some screenshots that explain what you want to do?

Also, which version of Illustrator are you using?

• 2. Re: How can I warp an arch into a rectangle?

Thanks for the help.

I can't show the actual thing, but this gives the idea:

arch to rectangle.png

Going from rectangle to arc is easy using Envelope Distort, but it's the opposite I need.

Illustrator CC (17.0.0)

• 3. Re: How can I warp an arch into a rectangle?

I thought that this is the basic idea. But without knowing the original construction it would be just terrible speculation to provide a reasonable technique. It could be anything: A simple composition like your striped example or something very complex with many different kind of objects (vector art, raster art, text objects, gradient meshes etc …).

• 4. Re: How can I warp an arch into a rectangle?

Thanks Kurt. Imagine that the original could be as complex as anything which can be warped by Envelope Distort > Arc.

• 5. Re: How can I warp an arch into a rectangle?

Then I would forecast that there is no fully automatic way to do it.

• 6. Re: How can I warp an arch into a rectangle?

It sounds like you have a suggestion in mind but for some reason are being rather cryptic. I'm willing to experiment with any idea and won't hold it against you if it's not the perfect solution! I have a number of these to do and anything which will help cut out a load of complicated redrawing will be gratefully received.

• 7. Re: How can I warp an arch into a rectangle?

I'm sorry to sound cryptic, but it is just a pragmatic position: As long as you cannot provide the original document (or at least some screenshots) it is rather hard to suggest anything.

• 8. Re: How can I warp an arch into a rectangle?
                        Mike Gondek2 MVP

Have you tried putitng in a negative amount in the bend.

Screen Shot 2013-08-19 at 3.31.42 PM.png

Would be best if some used the live effect version of Effect >> warp >> Arc, to undo a warp or else you can experience somehting that looks like lens barrel distortion.

• 9. Re: How can I warp an arch into a rectangle?

Thanks Mike, I’ve experimented with that and achieved some wild effects, but not the one I want. I don’t quite follow your second suggestion, there seems to be no difference between Envelope Distort > Make with warp > Arc and Effect > Warp > Arc.

My guess would be that it needs a method which allows the user to purposefully map points in a shape to the corners of the rectangle, but I can't see anything in Illustrator which allows the use of control points like this. I've had a look at plugins too but couldn't see anything which would help.

Anyway Mike, thanks for your suggestion.

• 10. Re: How can I warp an arch into a rectangle?
                            Mike Gondek2 MVP

There difference between the 2 warps , is one permanently changes the shape of your original, where the second is applied as an effect you can modify or remove in the appearance panel. If you use the effect rather than the object menu, you can set that back to zero or delete effect to unwarp.

Unelss you provide a file or an EXACT description with screenshots, hard to provide you any better feedback than we have.

• 11. Re: How can I warp an arch into a rectangle?

Ah, thanks for the explanation of the difference between the two warping methods. It may be helpful to note that from my experiments I’ve found that neither method is actually permanent, just that they have different ways to restore the original. From the Object menu there’s the command “release”, which does pretty much the same as deleting the effect from the appearance panel, except that it leaves an empty warp mesh in place, which is very useful in my current work.

As to posting more detailed requirements, I feel I have given a very clear description of what I am trying to do, and my need is for a generalised method which can be applied to a number of artworks (as mentioned before). Had I come with the opposite problem, “start with a rectangle and warp it into a semi-circular arc” nobody would have needed screenshots and more detail, the answer would have been simple: to use Envelope Distort or the Effect > Warp > Arc. It’s exactly the same problem but in reverse. I stated the problem clearly, and provided an illustration when asked; there’s nothing else I can provide will make it any clearer.

I am grateful for the attempts to help, and thank you for your time.

• 12. Re: How can I warp an arch into a rectangle?

You are correct about stating that both Envelope Distort warping and warp effects from the Effects menu are live and editable.

The crux of the matter is that you're looking for a "generalised method which can be applied to a number of artworks".

That is just not possible because – as already mentioned – there might be billions of different combinations.

Therefore a statement like "there’s nothing else I can provide will make it any clearer" is rather dubious.

Show what you actually have. Or accept that no one can provide a reasonable suggestion.

• 13. Re: How can I warp an arch into a rectangle?

Thanks Kurt. Would you not say that Envelope Distort is a generalised method which could be applied to a number of artworks? Perhaps even billions of combinations? You don't need to see examples to know that it will work. Can you (or anyone else) suggest a solution to the example I've already posted? Even hypothetically?

Show what you actually have.”

There are two problems here, one is client confidentiality, the other is that there will be more to come over the next months, and I don’t know what they’ll look like.

“Or accept that no one can provide a reasonable suggestion.”

Or even an unreasonable one, it seems. No suggestions at all have been forthcoming except Mike’s to try a negative value. But also notably absent is any suggestion that it can’t be done, which is just as pertinent an answer and would at least save everyone’s time.

• 14. Re: How can I warp an arch into a rectangle?
                                    dougofakkad MVP

philipking wrote:

It’s exactly the same problem but in reverse.

it would be the exact same problem in reverse if illustrator had applied the distortion in the first place. but as far as illustrator is concerned, the arched object is the starting point, right? I'm leaning towards this:

Kurt Gold wrote:

Then I would forecast that there is no fully automatic way to do it.

consider 'wibble':

wibble.jpg

the second image is the live distortion, easily reversible. but if i expand it, illustrator no longer sees a distorted object, just a regular one. any distortion i apply to that is being applied as if its a rectangle. otherwise illustrator would be trying to make assumptions about what you want to end up with from any given shape, which would be pretty odd. i guess if there were a way of drawing your own mesh? i dunno.

edit: well you can define your own mesh of course but you're still warping from the wrong starting point