4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2013 5:47 PM by heathrowe

Any way to release a symbol and rebuild it?

kate-at-illinoisu

I have been making symbols out of elements with their timelines quite successfully, until recently. I made a symbol the exact same way I made the others, but somehow I must have made it with the play head at the end of the sequence or something. Anyway, the symbol shows the animation fully played on the stage, and when I preview in browser, it acts like it has autoplay turned on (it does not; I checked).

So I want to reverse the symbol-making process and do it again, this time making sure the playhead is at the beginning of the sequence. But I do not see any way to do that. Any advice on how to fix this problem? Without a fix, I basically have to redo the entire animation.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Any way to release a symbol and rebuild it?
          kate-at-illinoisu Level 1

Okay, I have not gotten an answer to this and I have to believe it's because there is no way to do this. There doesn't seem to be a way to fix the symbol; nor is there a way to reverse the process and rebuild it. If I go into the symbol and copy it's components and their timelines, and then paste them into the main timeline again, all of the x,y properties are wrong, because of course when the symbol is built they are reset to be relative to the symbol instead of the stage. Moving them, even with everything selected and the autokey and autotransition tools turned off, doesn't move everything (why not, I wonder?) and so I must rebuild the entire animation.

If anyone knows of any documentation that could help me figure out how/why this problem occurred, so that I could avoid it in the future, I would consider that a helpful answer.

If there is no documentation taking note of this problem, explaining why it occurs and telling users how to avoid it, then there is obviously a big hole in the Edge documentation. If the problem occurs but cannot be solved, then there is obviously a big hole in the Edge functionality.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Any way to release a symbol and rebuild it?
            heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

Sounds odd. With AutoPlay off, it should not play anyway, unless you are using 'other' trigger/event options. Is this so?

Can you post your project file (zipped) for othes to check?

Darrell

• 3. Re: Any way to release a symbol and rebuild it?
              kate-at-illinoisu Level 1

Actually, I had to move on. Meaning, I had to just recreate the animation and I have already deleted the offending symbol. I was going to keep it, but discovered that it would continue to show up in the resulting page even with its visibility off.

You're right, with AutoPlay off it shouldn't play anyway. There were no other trigger/event options. I have 5 other symbols that are set up in exactly the same way as this one, and none of them had the problem. I checked and double-checked and there were no differences between this one and the other 5.

So, who knows? Meanwhile I started to figure out some things about recreating animations from timelines cut and pasted out of symbols, and tweaking them in the main timeline. It has to do with the "Global" and "Applied" settings for Position and Size. But I need to do more experimenting.

Thanks, heathrowe, for replying, I appreciate it!

1 person found this helpful