9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2013 3:42 PM by JFPhoton

Why Slow rendering

mathewlisett Level 1

ok, so the system has gtx580, 4gb ddr2, q6600 oc'd to 3.15. yet the render isnt using the cpu or memory from either ddr2 or gtx to its full use or even half use.

why isnt the render using the system hardware to full effect, whats it actually using.

• 1. Re: Why Slow rendering
          Jim_Simon Level 8

There are a lot of variables here - media, effects, hardware, etc.  Any one of them them can be a bottleneck for a system.

• 2. Re: Why Slow rendering
            JFPhoton Level 3

I think your machine is way behind the times.... "rendering"  is CPU exclusive.....except when there is scaling,or, other GPU accelerated effects going on and you have the " Mercury Playback Engine" working.

Time for a new CPU,board, and DDR 3 system memory.  Your CPU was last current when  people still dialed their phones !

• 3. Re: Why Slow rendering
              Vinay Dwivedi Adobe Employee

Hi mathewlisett,

Thanks for your post. If the CPU usage is not high and the cores are not utilized properly, then its possibly the hard drive which may have a slow data transfer rate. Please provide me the information about the hard drive as well. Also, the RAM in the machine is fine to install Premiere pro but 8 GB is recommended to make Premiere pro perform little faster.

Regards,

Vinay

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Why Slow rendering
                mathewlisett Level 1

yeah i was thinking it might be becuase its a hdd and not a ssd, also the fact with the hdd theres the issue of fragmentation with the big files.

@jfp, considering the cpu and memory are not being used at 100% and not even half that, i highly doubt its the cpu/memory issue becuase if it was the cpu and memory usage would be screamign and begging for more

• 5. Re: Why Slow rendering
                  JFPhoton Level 3

....you would need to provide WAY more info on your system for anyone to have a guess what is going on with your setup. However, by visiting the PPBM 5, ( or, 6 and 7) websites, you can see the benchmark test results of machines that had your old CPU.....and that they DID NOT do well, as compared to the i7 machines. Test yours there.

In addition, you MUST have at least 2 separate drives, ( not "volumes" by partitioning). One for Operating system, programs and Windows page file ONLY. The second drive for all else : Media, (  source video footage and audio ), Media Cache, Previews, Project files.  Better to have at least THREE drives, with Previews, Media Cache, and exports on the third drive. All drives must be AT LEAST 7200 RPM if HDD. If you only have 4 GB of SYSTEM memory, that is a MAJOR handicap right there !!...especially if its the older, slower, DDR 2. If you only have ONE HDD, that is below minimum requirements for PPro, and would lead to very bad performance.

What do YOU have :

1. Which version of PPro are you using ???.....cs5,6,or CCloud ???

2. What codecs are you trying to edit ??? If they come from a DSLR...like a Canon Rebel T2i....they could be the MOST DIFFICULT to edit natively because it is a 32bit Quick Time .MOV file and does NOT allow PPro to process it using 64 bit operation.

3. Are you properly matching your timeline sequence settings to the settings of your ingested footage ??....do you use the "new item" icon to allow PPro to create a matching sequence.....are you seeing a red, yellow, or green bar above your clips on the timeline ??

4. When you say "render", do you mean "rendering PREVIEWS", so you can view your work as you edit, OR, do you mean EXPORTING.....where your timeline is encoded to the final export codec you have chosen for distribution ??

In general, your current hardware appears to be VERY old and underpowered....not likely to be able to handle HD material NATIVELY with PPro....especially with AVCHD material. One workaround is to transcode your original footage into an "edit friendly" codec, which is FAR easier for your PC to edit. I did this in the past, ( as most did) when  computers were to weak to edit native, highly compressed video files. You can try "lossless" AVI codecs like lagarith,or, UT.....however, you would need a very large and a very fast disk system to handle those files.

You may choose to use an "intermediate" codec for editing like the free Avid DNxHD......which retains a high quality and limits generational loss....PPro CCloud NOW supports the MXF flavor of this "DNxHD"....this is important because PREVIOUSLY PPro only supported the 32 bit Quick Time version of DNxHD....which although better than native....was 32 bit in operation....vs. the MXF, which is 64 bit.

It would be best to read extensively past articles on this forum....especiallly those written by Harm Millard.....to learn what works well with PPro and why. It is possible to use an older system....though painful....if you are willing to transcode. However, your best solution would be to get a new rig based on the info you can learn HERE.....or, at the PPBM websites.....( 5, 6, and currently 7 ).

• 6. Re: Why Slow rendering
                    mathewlisett Level 1

this is what i dont get.i can understand getting the better hardware setup. but how is the rendering (and yes i do mean preview rendering from the squence tab) not using all the cpu and memory i have at the moment. or is it a case or a different communication with the newer hardware?

the main os is on a ssd, but then the preview files, ie the project is on a 2tb  drive.

im on cs69 (noncl  oud)

• 7. Re: Why Slow rendering
                      JFPhoton Level 3

.........how is 2 TB drive connected, internal, external ???.......what rpm ???......how much filled ???

..........do you have "GPU acceleration" enabled and working...as shown in the preferences dialogue box ?? Or, does it say " Software only mode' ??

..........What codecs and settings are you using???.....does the timeline setting match you codec ????....

......do you have red or yellow bars over the clips on your time line ???

• 8. Re: Why Slow rendering
                        mathewlisett Level 1

3.5" Internal Hard Drive 7200rpm

1.22TB free

gpu  via mercury is on

avi/iyuv

bit depth enabled

• 9. Re: Why Slow rendering
                          JFPhoton Level 3

....your description of the codecs you are editing is vague at best....what is a "avi/yuv" ?????

....what is "bit depth enabled "????......I'm still using CS5.......don't know exactly what you mean.

.....do you have a red bar,or is it yellow, over your clips on the timeline before rendering previews...this is an important question

.....possible issue : although avi's are MUCH easier for the CPU to process, the file sizes are HUGE because these files are UNCOMPRESSED. This means that, especially if you are using MORE THAN ONE VIDEOTRACK WHILE EDITING....the single HDD cannot provide a high enough transfer rate to fulfill the demand of the CPU, system memory, and GPU.

......Although not normally recommended....you may want to TEMPORARILY place your previews, media cache,media cache database on the faster SSD, so you can test if this makes things run any faster. The HDD is hampered by the "half-duplex" interface....it can only read OR write....it cannot do both at once....this slows things down. The more drives that can be doing different tasks at the same time speeds things up.

....if possible...you may want to obtain a second HDD...IDENTICAL TO THE EXISTING HDD... and "RAID 0 " them together, to double performance speed and capacity. However, THIS solution makes it necessary to now provide a "backup" of everything that would be on that RAID 0......as losing a drive would wipe out all the data.