19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2013 5:21 PM by ramsparky060144

degraded picture when burning dvd

ramsparky060144 Level 1

When I complete a project including menus and burn to a dvd I find the picture quality is degraded.  I import avi, vob and wmv files into a project often from vhs or hi8 vhs tapes via a analog to digital converter.  The video looks fine but when it is burned I find the picture is not to clear and often there is ghosting or double images.  What causes this and how can I fix it?

• 1. Re: degraded picture when burning dvd
          A.T. Romano Level 7

ramsparky060144

What version of Premiere Elements do you have and on what computer operating system is it running?

Are all these files 720 x 480 4:3 or the PAL counterpart 720 x 576 4:3?

What did you or the project set as the project preset in the new project dialog?

Where are you viewing your end product DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc? Size screen, etc?

Let us start here.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: degraded picture when burning dvd
            ramsparky060144 Level 1

Sparky:                          the more people I know, the more I love my dog

• 3. Re: degraded picture when burning dvd
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The quality of your video can also be greatly influenced by the quality of the digitizer you used to convert your analog video to digital. Most lower-end converters, like the Dazzle unit, the Plextor DVD Maker and All-in-One cards, use non-standard codecs and are designed pretty much to work only with the software that comes with the unit.

You'll get the more standard DV codec -- and your quality will greatly improve in Premiere Elements -- if you use a DV bridge like the Grass Valley/Canopus AVDC to digitize your video, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431853?tstart=0

• 4. Re: degraded picture when burning dvd
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Sparky

In your reply to the first question that was asked of you by me you wrote

Sparky:                          the more people I know, the more I love my dog

Was there more to that message that did not get through, like the answers to the questions that i asked? If so, please check with Forum Comments to report your problem in posting.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments

SG has posted pointing to influences of your choice of digitization in his reply to your original post. Since you say that everything looks OK before the burn to DVD, I tend to think that there are probably more factors involved which are contributing to "not the best" results.

If you answer the questions asked, I will try to help.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: degraded picture when burning dvd
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I guess on what you mean by "it looks good" before you burn the DVD. Video players can often work with a larger range of codecs than video editors. So just because a video plays well on your computer, doesn't mean it's going to process well through a video editor.

So, again, I'd like to know what device you digitized your video with. Or at least open the video with G Spot or Media Info and post the resolution, frame rate and codec it lists.

• 6. Re: degraded picture when burning dvd
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

ramsparky060144

Please do not overlook SG's last question (post 5) which he has apparently inadvertantly posted in reply to me instead of you. His post question was intended for your reply with the details that he requested.

He wrote the following for you

I guess on what you mean by "it looks good" before you burn the DVD. Video players can often work with a larger range of codecs than video editors. So just because a video plays well on your computer, doesn't mean it's going to process well through a video editor.

So, again, I'd like to know what device you digitized your video with. Or at least open the video with G Spot or Media Info and post the resolution, frame rate and codec it lists.

ATR

• 7. Re: degraded picture when burning dvd
                      ramsparky060144 Level 1

I think the problem might be the device I use to import video into the pc.  It is the Sima Godigital and it only imports into ArcSoft.  I will try the Canopus you recommend.  I used to use an ADS pyro link but once I swithch from XP to windows 7 it no longer works,but when it did it was great.  Then I used a Panasonic dvd recorder which worked fine but the  dvd component just died.  ADS does make a newer model of the pyro link but it doesn't work with win 7 either.  Thank you for your prompt reply.and I will let  you know how the Canopus worked out for me.

• 8. Re: degraded picture when burning dvd
                        ramsparky060144 Level 1

I am using windows 7 and PE 11.  The project settings are  NTSC 720x480 4.3.  Besides the computer screen I watch the recorded dvd's on a 46" Samsung lcd.  I read SG's reply and I think the device I use to import analog into the PC is the problem. I am using a Sima Go Digital which captures to ArcSoft.   He recommended the Canopus AVDC bridge.  I will obtain one and hope for the best.  Thank you for your attention to my problem.

• 9. Re: degraded picture when burning dvd
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

ramsparky060144

Thank you for the update and your insights into your situation.

We will be watching for your progress and success with your projects.

ATR

• 10. Re: degraded picture when burning dvd
                            ramsparky060144 Level 1

I got the canopus 110 only to find I need a firewire port.  I could get an express card but I am having trouble locating one to work with a desk top pc.  If I can't get any leads on one of those I don't have to install in my computer by tomorrow I will send the thing back along with the ac adapter which is sold separately..  Do you have any thoughts on any other product that would be as good. 

• 11. Re: degraded picture when burning dvd
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Do you have a free PCI slot on your desktop's MoBo?

If so, then something like this might work for you, http://sewelldirect.com/2-Ports-PCI-Express-IEEE-1394A-Firewire-Card-.asp?gclid=COTMitXFtb kCFY9xQgodXxoA-g

I like multiple controller chips, one for each port, but that is only really necessary, if one has more than one IEEE-1394a device. If they do, when doing a Capture, they will likely not be able to plug in any other FW-400 device, unless there are separate controller chips on the card.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: degraded picture when burning dvd
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Sparky

The investment in the Canopus 110 and now the firewire port consideration are major considerations with no assurances that the technology will have any impact on what you seek in your end product. Can you return these devices if they do not work for you?

Could we recap for a moment....given that you have your footage on the Premiere Elements Timeline and it comes time for the Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc and you get your ghosting images in the play back of the DVD.

What does the playback look like with a computer player when the export is instead Publish+Share/Computer/AVI/DV NTSC Standard? I think that I would feel more comfortable knowing that information before moving further.

I have never used a firewire port so I do not have any first hand information to offer; you probably have the same type of general firewire knowledge that I have from a Google search.

We will be watching for your progress and be interested in knowing what that DV AVI standard file looks like with one of the computer players.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: degraded picture when burning dvd
                                  ramsparky060144 Level 1

Bill:

Thanks you for getting back to me so quickly.  I really do not wish to open my computer to install anything.  There are express cards that fit into a memory card slot but they are only for laptops.  I used to have a dvd recorder that worked well but stopped working.  I think I will get another one of those.  It worked well for my purposes.  I once had an ads tech pyro link but it also requires a firewire port. 

Thank you again,

Roberta

• 14. Re: degraded picture when burning dvd
                                    ramsparky060144 Level 1

A.T. Romano:

Thanks for responding.  I decided to send the unit back since I have no intention of installing a firewire port.  I will get myself another dvd recorder like the one that no longer works.  I used to use it to record vhs onto a dvd and then import into PE.  All the best capture devices use the firewire so this is the best solution for me.

Thank you again for getting back to me,

Roberta

• 15. Re: degraded picture when burning dvd
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Roberta,

The one drawback to using the VHS to DVD route is that the files get compressed to MPEG-2, to go to the DVD-Video, and then, if you output to a finished DVD-Video, it gets compressed yet again, Sort of like a FAX of a FAX.

That is why so many people use an A-D bridge, like the Grass Valley/Canopus unit.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: degraded picture when burning dvd
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Roberta

Thanks for the update.

I think that you have made a good decision at this point. If it works as you expect from past experience, then great. If not, then there is more justification for alternative more expensive routes which will include making decision on device(s).

When you get a chance, please update us on your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 17. Re: degraded picture when burning dvd
                                          ramsparky060144 Level 1

A.T. I find the vcr to dvd recorder works fine fo rmy purpose.  I have very few vhs tapes left to capture anyway.  I solved my ghosting problem by creating an mpeg ADTV 1080P HQ movie and then adding menus.  That is working well and the video produced looks great.  I am considering getting Power Director since I am retired and have time to torment myself to learn another program.  Once again, thanky for your help.  Roberta

• 18. Re: degraded picture when burning dvd
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Roberta

That was very great news. We are very pleased with your results and your talents that went into developing your successful workflow.

When you talked about your 1080p movie and adding menus, were you referring to creating a Blu-ray movie with menus. I am used to Premiere Elements where the only exports with menus are for DVD-VIDEO burn to DVD, AVCHD burn to DVD, Blu-ray Disc Format to Blu-ray, and, the one non disc means, web DVD which is in reality a flash file with menus.

Keep up the good work and success with your new projects and programs.

Best wishes,

ATR

• 19. Re: degraded picture when burning dvd
                                              ramsparky060144 Level 1

No blu ray.  Maybe another time but not now.