8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2013 7:09 AM by A.T. Romano

"Sorry - serious error requires PrE3 to shut down" - every time?

David @ 2251

Hi - I've been using Adobe PrE3 for years to digitally enhance and transfer old home movie film (8mm-16mm) to DVD without any dramas. Always worked fine in a computer used specifically for that task.

A few weeks ago, while trying to open an existing file, up popped the message: "Sorry - a serious error has occured that requires Adobe Premier Elements to shut down. We will attempt to save your current project."

Not once, not twice, but every time I try to open any file in the programme. Have tried removing and reloading (authentic software) and still the problem persists.

I'm using Windows XP in this computer and have no idea how to fix the problem.

Even tried removing and installed PrE9 which I use in second computer but it wouldn't work at all.

Can anyone help please?

• 1. Re: "Sorry - serious error requires PrE3 to shut down" - every time?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

David,

We will ask you a lot of questions in the next post, I just want to clear one factor out of the way at the onset.

What anti-virus program do you have? If you disable the anti-virus, does the program work, either 3 or 9.0/9.0.1.

Both 3/3.0.2 or 9.0/9.0.1 have essential updates. Are they installed as just indicated in designating the versions.

Did any of these problems correlate to any Windows Updates? Were you hit with the 1/2 wmv display associated with a recent Windows Update kb. See Announcement at top of this forum.

To be continued, including description of your computer environment and its optimization.

ATR

• 2. Re: "Sorry - serious error requires PrE3 to shut down" - every time?
            David @ 2251 Level 1

Hi ATR

I'm using Kaspersky.

Don't know how to disable the anti virus.

Am only running PE3 in computer - removed 9 after it failed to work in this computer.

Everytime I checked for PrE3 updates Adobe says "no updates available". Possibly because it's such an old programme. (2007?)

Windows updates - not as far as I'm aware in the PE3 computer - was in the PrE9 computer but appears fixed now so I guess the update would have been installed automatically in both machines.

Computer sits in well ventilated area of my office - had computer cleaned and serviced several months ago.

I'm trying a System Restore at the moment back to mid July to see if that helps.

• 3. Re: "Sorry - serious error requires PrE3 to shut down" - every time?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

These kinds of problems are SOMETIMES caused by a Windows update that changes a DLL, and that change then renders the graphics driver "obsolete"

What is your brand/model graphics adapter (ATI/AMD or nVidia or ???) and what is your driver version?

PS - do not rely on Windows update to be correct if it tells you that you have an up to date driver... it is often wrong... you need to go directly to the vendor site for your card and check the driver for your brand/model

These messages are about a later version, but may offer some ideas

Display driver http://forums.adobe.com/message/4943624 - Baddriver.txt http://forums.adobe.com/message/5048806

• 4. Re: "Sorry - serious error requires PrE3 to shut down" - every time?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

David

Thanks for the reply.

When I was referring to updates, I was specifically referring to just the basic and essential update for version 3, that is, Update 3.0.2. If that was removed from your computer, you can still download and install it via'

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3565

Recently a user was having program failures, and the user traced it back to a recent anti-virus update. That was another reason I asked about updates. But, based on your report just now, your specific anti-virus program is not the same as in that other situation. But always good to rule these factors in or out.

Looking forward to those System Restore results. A just in case note, those System Restores eat up a lot of computer hard drive space, so proceed with caution.

More later.

ATR

• 5. Re: "Sorry - serious error requires PrE3 to shut down" - every time?
                  David @ 2251 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks for the link for the update - downloaded and installed - problem persists.

System Restore has done nothing either.

Cheers.

• 6. Re: "Sorry - serious error requires PrE3 to shut down" - every time?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

David

It is getting close to 1 am where I am so I will think about this some more later in the light of day.

Brief recap...

From what you wrote, you have two computers, Windows XP and other that you did not give details.

At this time Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2 does not work on Windows XP. What is the working status of Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 on Windows XP and this other computer that you referred to?

When you go to run Premiere Elements 9, are you running it from the 9.0.1 Update for that? If not, try downloading and installing that

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4929

Do you have a fairly close date for when Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2 stopped working?

To be continued...

ATR

• 7. Re: "Sorry - serious error requires PrE3 to shut down" - every time?
                      David @ 2251 Level 1

Pleasant dreams, ATR

Windows XP (professional) is installed in the computer with PrE3 I use almost exclusively for film transfers.

My main computer has Windows 7 and PrE9 installed in that for fancier editing I do with videos, slides - that kind of stuff.

When I was having the initial troubles with PrE3 computer I thought I'd load 9 to see how that performed. Well, it didn't. Wouldn't work. So uninstalled it immediately and have been persevering with 3 ever since.

I also installed PrE3 in the Windows 7 computer but it would not open up the "capture" window - just sat quietly in the corner, brooding. Mind you, PrE9 works fine in this same Windows 7 computer.

Problem first started 7 days ago.

Tomorrow will take the Windows XP computer to a local computer business that has been quite helpful in the past and see what he makes of it.

Thanks anyway.

regards

David

• 8. Re: "Sorry - serious error requires PrE3 to shut down" - every time?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

David

Thanks for the further details.

Does your Windows 7 64 bit come with the free Windows XP Mode which is a virtual Windows XP SP3 32 bit system?

If so, you could try to install your Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2 in the Window XP Mode of your Windows 7 computer.

We will await the further developments from the checkup for the Windows XP computer that Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2 has been

running on. Depending on how things go, you might want to get an opinion from the local computer business about using the Windows XP Mode in conjunction with Windows 7.

Looking forward to update.

Thanks.

ATR