3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2013 8:51 AM by Steve Werner

Going from Pages to EPUB using InDesign?

I am I am

Is there a guide for going from a Pages document to EPUB using InDesign? The target is a book that is over 105K words for 425 pages.

I am an absolute beginner with InDesign and I was hoping to more finely control the outcome of EPUB generation by using InDesign rather than outputting from Pages using Export to EPUB. Unfortunately, ID isn't quite as intuitive as I had hoped it would be and I've run up against the wall.

Do I load each chapter as a separate document and then collect them as a book file? Or can the book be loaded as one document? I've been trying as one document, but I can't it to appear in the main editing window. (It shows up fine in the story editing, but that gets tedious very quickly.)

Last, while ID creates EPUB files, can it generate a MOBI or AZW file for the Amazon Kindle? I found no references for in concerning ID in the documentation, but thought I'd ask anyway.

• 1. Re: Going from Pages to EPUB using InDesign?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Creating EPUB from InDesign requires learning a lot, even if you know InDesign well already. To try to export EPUB when you don't know the way the program works is probably just about impossible. Unless you really want to learn and work in InDesign, I'd stick with what you already know. It would be more important for you to learn a bit about CSS to clean up the output or to create a new CSS file.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Going from Pages to EPUB using InDesign?
            I am I am Level 1

Thanks, Steve!

I've already been hand-building the CSS & EPUB files. I was just hoping that InDesign would make it easier. Clearly, that's not the case.

Apple's Pages does a very good job generating an EPUB which only requires a minimal amount of tweaking to the CSS to give it a final polish and further adjustments for e-readers other than an iOS device. Generating the MOBI/AZW for Kindle requires a bunch of jumping through hoops to prepare, which was what I was hoping to avoid.

A few days to release, I have plenty of time get get the ebooks ready.

A good heads up for any competent programmers out there—of which I am not—there is a huge market of self-publishing authors in need of a program that can take a RTF, Word or Pages formatted document and smoothly turn it into an EPUB or AZW file.

• 3. Re: Going from Pages to EPUB using InDesign?
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

InDesign can make it easier, IF YOU LEARN TO BUILD THE FILES CORRECTLY IN INDESIGN. That's what's hard for a beginner to the program to get. If you know the CSS you're most of the way there already. Good luck to you.