15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2013 9:37 PM by animationlife

RE: White Balance and Color Temperature

animationlife Level 1

Can we do the same kind of White Balancing, Like we have In Photoshop Camera Raw, In Premiere pro ?

Also, can we change the Color Temperature In Premiere Pro?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: RE: White Balance and Color Temperature
          shooternz Level 6

There are certain tools in the Color Correction FX that will assist you re - White Balance a clip.  Not exactly like dealing with Raw though which is entirel based on manipulating RAW Data.(bit by bit)

You can simulate a Color Temperature effect (shift) by using CC FX.

Dont think there is one that actually uses color temp as the unit though.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: RE: White Balance and Color Temperature
            Jim_Simon Level 8

The flexibility of RAW images is available in Premiere Pro, but only with RAW video.

• 3. Re: RE: White Balance and Color Temperature
              animationlife Level 1

When I am shooting  Raw Images, Usually I shoot a Gray-Card, and I select Custom White Balance, If I am shooting with Strobes, I choose 5200 K, and Later I shoot a Color Checker, and I apply the Profile Into the Camera Raw.

When I am Shooting Video, I also shoot a Gray-Card, and I select Custom White Balance. I don't have Problems with the colors of my videos, For Example: Shooting with Canon 5D, I can choose any Color Temperature I want.  But I thought Maybe there are some Plug-Ins for Premiere Pro that I can have some Advanced Techniques  some how like Adobe Camera Raw

Thanks

• 4. Re: RE: White Balance and Color Temperature
                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Photoshop CC has made Camera RAW available as a filter. That means it is easy to use it on video.

Can you do anything in Camera RAW to a video that you can't do the hard way with color correction and levels, etc, in Premiere Pro? No. Is it easier because you are used to the sliders? You bet!

This first frame is from a video I shot to test the codecs my camera can use. The trees are rather dark, because, well, I didn't care when I shot the video. I was concerned with the movement of the juggling toys.

But if I take it into Photoshop and use Camera RAW I can do very quickly what would take a lot longer, for me, in Premiere Pro. You will have to take my word for it that the color of the shirt in the corrected frame is more realistic. The Camera RAW settings were pretty much what I do to almost all of my photographs. Very slight adjustment to exposure, a little clarity, bring out the shadows, bring down the highlights that are too white and bring up the contrast.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

• 5. Re: RE: White Balance and Color Temperature
                  animationlife Level 1

Dear Steven.

Thank you very much, I never worked with video Inside the Camera Raw, So what I did was, I exported the video from PP to my Desktop, and I opened it In Photoshop CC, and  I opened the video Inside the Camera Raw Filter.

Well, Its amazing I can do almost everything,, Just like working with a Raw Image. I can even Select the White Balance Tool..  The only problem Is: What ever I do It only applies to a single frame. In other words, I want the changes apply to the entire Video, Or Is It possible If I can select some specific frames and apply different effects ? That will be great.

would you please let me know

I am not trying to compare Avid to Premiere Pro, But My friend works with Avid, and when It comes to Editing he can do almost Any-Thing with a Video

Thank you very much...

• 6. Re: RE: White Balance and Color Temperature
                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Sorry, you missed a small, but vital, step.

Try this:

Make a copy of your clip and work on the copy.

Open Photoshop CC and then File/Open your video clip. I am using an all I-Frame video which should be easier to work with, but any video that Photoshop can work with should be OK.

In the layers panel you will see that it creates a Video Group.

Capture.PNG

Select the goup as shown above and then in the Filter menu select "Convert for SmartFilters".

Now apply the Camera RAW filter. What you do to one frame will apply to all of them.

• 7. Re: RE: White Balance and Color Temperature
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I thought Maybe there are some Plug-Ins for Premiere Pro that I can have some Advanced Techniques

The only time those become available in Premiere Pro is for RAW video files.

• 8. Re: RE: White Balance and Color Temperature
                        animationlife Level 1

Would you please let me know what Is Raw Video.

Thanks

• 9. Re: RE: White Balance and Color Temperature
                          shooternz Level 6

RAW video is video shot and "captured" as raw data (just like still RAW)

• 10. Re: RE: White Balance and Color Temperature
                            animationlife Level 1

Dear shooternz.

I am looking at My Canon 5D Video Setting. I can shoot at: 1920 by 1080, Or 640 by 480. I don't see any setting for Raw Video, I know there Is setting for Raw, Or JPG In the Camera mode.I always shoot Raw when I am doing still photography.

Thanks

• 11. Re: RE: White Balance and Color Temperature
                              animationlife Level 1

Dear Steven.

I opened a video about 20 seconds long,  1920 by 1080, and I did what you told me and works. Thanks.

I noticed a 20 second video rendered about 20 minutes Inside the Photoshop.

what If I want to apply Different effect to different frames, for example High Saturation from fame 1-30, and different effects from frame 30-60..

I don't think it is possible Inside the Photoshop, unless I cut my video Into two separate video's In Premiere Pro, and export them, and work on them expertly In Photoshop.

Thank you very much for your help.

• 12. Re: RE: White Balance and Color Temperature
                                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Hmmm. I would have to give some thought to a workflow like that. It might call for a digital intermediate, meaning export from Premiere Pro, which causes a generational loss. But if it significantly improves the overall video, that might be worth it. It might be better to just make a copy of the original and give it a new name. Then adjust the entire video. Once for each set of frames that you will use.

If you really need Camera RAW for your video. You can do the same thing inside Premiere Pro, it just takes more knowledge of the tools.

By the way, your camera will not shoot RAW video, but there are cameras that will.

• 13. Re: RE: White Balance and Color Temperature
                                  animationlife Level 1

Thanks Steven. I am going to play around with this Camera Raw Filter, Video.. I will do some more test shots. But at-least Now I know that Inside the Camera Raw Filter I can work with my video, Which Is Very Good.

• 14. Re: RE: White Balance and Color Temperature
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Very few cameras shoot RAW video out of the box - RED, Arri, BlackMagic.  There is no DSLR that can do it for video, even though they probably all do it for stills.

Having said that, I understand some Canon models can be made to shoot RAW video with the latest Magic Lantern update, though I don't know how well such files would work in PP, as Adobe has no support for them.