11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2013 7:57 PM by UlfLaursen

USB3 v. eSATA 300

UlfLaursen Level 2

Hi

I was thinking of getting one of these boxes, to move media from one PC to another faster than over my LAN.

http://www.raidsonic.de/en/products/details.php?we_objectID=7293

As far as I know, the theoretical speed of USB 3.0 is higher than eSATA 300, but would that be so in reality?

Thanks.

Ulf

• 2. Re: USB3 v. eSATA 300
          UlfLaursen Level 2

Thanks 'CC' - I thought so too.

Ulf

• 3. Re: USB3 v. eSATA 300
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

USB 3 is far easier to deal with and move should you require and often more compatible though speed is decided by firmware compatibility as well. I would always suggest USB3 in most cases.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: USB3 v. eSATA 300
              UlfLaursen Level 2

Thanks Eric.

Which controller would you suggest for me to upgrade my asus p6tws workstation with (since it has no USB 3.0 natively) to get best speed.

Thanks

Ulf

• 5. Re: USB3 v. eSATA 300
                Alex - DV411 Level 2

As far as I know, the theoretical speed of USB 3.0 is higher than eSATA 300, but would that be so in reality?

With just one external spinning HDD - the limit is the HDD, i.e. it doesn't matter. (Harm's numbers look strange to me, and looks like he didn't test multi-bay boxes with USB 3.0.) I am with Eric on this one, USB 3.0 is easier to deal with, generally.

On external 4-bay RAID boxes (tested a couple), eSATA 3G: 250MB/s, USB 3.0: 160MB/s.

If the controller and the box both support UAS (USB attached SCSI) - USB 3.0 should be much closer to its ceiling of 5Gbs. I haven't tested any though. Dying to.

Controllers: tested ASUS U3S6 (defunct now), HP BM867AA (NEC chip I think), the built-in USB 3.0 ports on HP Z820 and Z420, and USB 3.0 ports on a few laptops. Pretty sure most PCIe USB 3.0 cards use either NEC or TI chips (please correct me if I am wrong), so it shouldn't matter which one you get, they all use one or the other driver, and the difference is only in build quality and support.

• 6. Re: USB3 v. eSATA 300
                  UlfLaursen Level 2

Thanks a lot Alex :)

Ulf

• 7. Re: USB3 v. eSATA 300
                    JFPhoton Level 3

...have had to deal with a few buggy problems using USB3 though. Like random disconnects.

.....had to go to device manager and uncheck box allowing for Windows to shut off device ,under the host

......had to go into power settings and disable USB shut down.

....had to enter USB3 device properties and select option not allowing "hot" disconnect.

.......Then, when re-powering up machine.....had to check all these settings again....because they would go back to default, and the random disconnects would happen again.

Good Luck !!!

• 8. Re: USB3 v. eSATA 300
                      Alex - DV411 Level 2

...have had to deal with a few buggy problems using USB3 though. Like random disconnects.

Ditto, those even forced me to use eSATA for a while until the problems were fixed with the USB 3.0 controller driver update.

• 9. Re: USB3 v. eSATA 300
                        ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Right now the Renesis or NEC controllers are showing the best compatibility and performance. Asmedia normally shows good performance with storage but compatibility is hit and miss. I would not venture outside of those. BTW Startech or Siig seem to stay in the Renesis/NEC controllers. Just check the card specs to verify.

Eric

ADK

• 10. Re: USB3 v. eSATA 300
                          JFPhoton Level 3

....I will add that using an external USB3 dock on my Asus i7 laptop has yielded what looks like surprising speed transfer rates. Inside the laptop are TWO SSDs....an older Corsair F120 for OS, programs and pagefile AND a Marvell controlled Crucial M4 512GB. The Windows box that displays the transfer rate, as it is happening, has shown up to 220MB/sec on my SATA II laptop when using a THIRD SSD in the USB3 dock !!! It also shows what appears to be an even faster "burst"  rate sometimes at the beginning of a file transfer. Windows resource monitor also displays this same info.

....wouldn't it be nice if a new SATA III laptop could connect to USB3 external drives at near the theoretical speed of that interface ??!!

• 11. Re: USB3 v. eSATA 300
                            UlfLaursen Level 2

Thanks a lot guys - great info. 

Ulf