5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2013 3:28 AM by aconda

Fonts pixelating on output to PDF

aconda Level 1

I'm getting pixelated fonts in the press PDFs after exporting to PDF (see screenshots of Indesign layout preview comapared to the corrupted PDF preview).

The problem is occuring between Indesign CC and Acrobat Xl, I have also tried exporting to Indesign CS6 and creating PDFs there but am having the ame problem.

The text, Myriad Pro Condensed 6pt is place in a textbox but I have never seen this problem before. The file has gone to print as it was a rush job, the only way to solve it was to create outlines out of the text.

My concern is that if I hadn't have caught this it would've been printed as is and naturally the costs of reprints etc.

Is anyone aware of what could be causing this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AndyIndesign-CC_v9.jpgAcrobat11.jpg

• 1. Re: Fonts pixelating on output to PDF
          aconda Level 1

I've just found out that it I remove the underlying box shadow, which is an inline vector shadow pasted in, that the problem goes away. I realize that pasting in vector elements isn't best practise for adding images but surely this still shouldn't be causing pixelating?

• 2. Re: Fonts pixelating on output to PDF
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It's certainly odd that it's happening only to part of the text. If it's a transparency flattening problem I would expect to see all of the type affected. Have you checked the Transparency Flattener Preview, though, to be sure? And what settings are you using to export the PDF?

Have you see this with other fonts? Other files?

• 3. Re: Fonts pixelating on output to PDF
              aconda Level 1

Hi and thanks for your response. No problems are visible in the transparency viewer. But the problem is definitely being caused by the komplex, pasted in vector elements. I have swapped them all out for linked versions and the problem was solved. Bad practise on my part I guess but still it shouldn't be happening.

• 4. Re: Fonts pixelating on output to PDF
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't think it should be happening, either, but pasting complex vectors from external sources can result in them being pasted as .eps instead of paths, and ID isn't that fond of .eps. Over the years I've come to the conclusion that the only reason to paste vector paths is if they are too hard to draw in ID and you need to use the shape for a frame. Otherwise, in the long run, links always turn out to be more practical, even if it means making a new version in a new color. Re-purposing, or updating multiple instances of pasted paths is time consuming at best, and very error-prone.

That said, even though you have a work-around, you should file a bug report: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 5. Re: Fonts pixelating on output to PDF
                  aconda Level 1

Ok thanks for your input Peter, I'll definitely report the issue then later on today.