7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2013 1:15 AM by Jacout13

What is better : Nvidia Quadro 4000 or Nvidia GeForce Titan ?

Jacout13 Level 1

Good morning,

Right now, I use Premiere Pro CS 6 with the GPU Nvidia GTX 570, but I guess that it might be better to replace my actual GPU by Nvidia Quadro 4000. Is this a good idea or not ?

Many thanks in advance.

Jacques

• 2. Re: What is better : Nvidia Quadro 4000 or Nvidia GeForce Titan ?
          Jacout13 Level 1

Many thanks for the link which is very intersting.

Just some additional informations : I guess that my actual system is quite balanced, but with Premiere Pro I experienced that the encoding of pictures with some effects (zoom, pan, transparency), the encoding time is very long, even with Mercury enable, and I whish to shorten it.

My config is as follows :

- CPU Intel Core i-7 970 3,2 GHz (LGA 1366),

- MB : Intel DX58SO2 with 12Gb RAM,

- GPU : Nvidia GTX 570,

- HDD : RAID 10 with four WD1002FAEX,

- OS W7 64 bits SP1.

I read also a test made by Adobe, that the encoding of the same timeline needed :

- about 8 minutes with CPU Xeon (3 GHz), Mercury disable,

- about 1 minutes when using a Nvidia Quadro 4000, Mercury enable,

- about 56 sec. when using Nvida Quadro 5000 + Tesla C2075), Mercury enable,

Adobe recommended Nvidia Quadro 4000 as a good solution.

This is the reason of my question.

• 3. Re: What is better : Nvidia Quadro 4000 or Nvidia GeForce Titan ?
            cc_merchant Level 4

the encoding of pictures with some effects (zoom, pan, transparency), the encoding time is very long, even with Mercury enable, and I whish to shorten it.

Encoding is a CPU/memory task, not a CUDA task. The video card does not come into the picture at all for encoding.

What can help reducing encoding times is tuning the system, increasing memory to 24 GB and overclocking.

What will help tremenduously is adding at least two disks/volumes to your arsenal. Only a single volume (raid10) is simply not enough.

As to the system being balanced, IMO the disk setup is not enough with a single volume, the memory can be improved by going to 24 GB and the video card is already more than enough. No sense in spending anymore on that.

Did you run the PPBM5 Benchmark ?

• 4. Re: What is better : Nvidia Quadro 4000 or Nvidia GeForce Titan ?
              jasonvp Level 3

Jacout13 wrote:

Adobe recommended Nvidia Quadro 4000 as a good solution.

This is the reason of my question.

Based on my own personal experience: if you're performing edits, effects, and scaling in such a way that the GPU can be used, then the GTX570 is literally twice as fast as the Quadro 4K.  I actually started with a Quadro 4K, and then moved to a 570.  My export times were cut in half when I made the move.

There are specific reasons to use Quadros, like if you use 10-bit displays and whatnot.  Otherwise, pass on them.  The 'gaming' level GTX cards are going to be faster for the vast majority of tasks.

• 5. Re: What is better : Nvidia Quadro 4000 or Nvidia GeForce Titan ?
                Jim_Simon Level 9

[Moved to Hardware forum.]

1 person found this helpful
                • 6. Re: What is better : Nvidia Quadro 4000 or Nvidia GeForce Titan ?
                  Jacout13 Level 1

Good Morning,

Many thanks for your answer to my question.

About my configuration, I do not whish to modify my RAID Volume because :

- RAID 10 give reliability and performance (Windows 7 performance index 6.3 for the RAID volume),

- the only way to improve performlance is to use SSD but after one year the SSD loose their performance (no more than 10 000 w/r on each cell).

OK to change the memory up to 24 GB.

About GTX 570 : I still continue to use it and it seems to be better than Quadro 4K, according your experience.

About processor : I wait for the next LGA2011-3 + Z99 : (Core i-XXXX 8 cores, 16 threads + 15 or 20 Mo cache memory 3 GHz or more) and SATA IIII + RAID 10, probably at the end of next year. I have to be patient.

Many thanks for the link to PPBM7, I shall try to verify my configuration and how to improve it.

• 7. Re: What is better : Nvidia Quadro 4000 or Nvidia GeForce Titan ?
                    Jacout13 Level 1

Good Morning,

I ran PPBM5, but I obtained several errors :

- 1) to encode with AME, I need to keep PP and AME opened simultaneously : if not the encoding give an error message "Failure - Unknown Error". This probleme was exposed to the Adobe support since several months, but I am still waiting for an answer. The import of XMP files failed when PP is closed.

- 2) the "Statistics CS.5.vbs file cannot be opened, and give an error message "Code erreur : 800A0035" and the "Output.text" file is empty.

The only thing : the encoding seems very fast (less than 7 mn for the "Disktest AVI sequence").