5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2013 8:40 AM by sinious

symbol editing white background

OrangeToeS

Is it possible to remove the semi-transparent white background when editing symbols? This would be really usefull thanks.

-also having an toggle option to remove the selection tool 'dots' would be nice too (they get in the way a bit for color adjusing).

cheers.

• 1. Re: symbol editing white background
          sinious Most Valuable Participant

What OS and what version of Flash?

In general the background color is set in the documents properties.

• 2. Re: symbol editing white background
            OrangeToeS Level 1

no sorry I mean the white tint that is applyed to everything behind the symbol when you are editing it, not the stage color. I believe this is in every version of flash, on every OS.

• 3. Re: symbol editing white background

It is and it's designed to show you what actually exists in the symbol you're editing (MovieClip/Button/Graphic) versus what is behind it. I do not believe there is a way to disable this onion skin effect when editing symbols.

While I agree it would be a useful option, it would also be very confusing, especially to multi-nested clips for designers. They'd have no idea which elements were actually in the clip they are editing.

The standard is to sample colors from the origin and bring those values to the object you're editing. You're perfectly free to add it to the feature wishlist but I think the workflow they have is superior by keeping people onion skinned with the tint. That doesn't mean you can't request the feature be a toggle however:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: symbol editing white background
                Mohanaraj Adobe Employee

Hi,

If you are talking about the in-place editing (by double clicking on a symbol instance that is placed on the stage) then you will see the tinted backgroud to just give you the context. However if you double click the symbol in Library panel then you will not see what is behind and it will only show you the contents of the symbol.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Mohan

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: symbol editing white background

I'm pretty sure this is exactly what the user wants to disable. I often struggled with in-place editing tinting what is behind it so I couldn't easily sample colors or similar things. I've also never seen a way to disable the whiteout tint.