16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2013 9:45 AM by phyllisj9

Spot underplate?

phyllisj9 Level 2

Okay, I'm not sure underplate is the right word:

I'm putting together a design for a coffeemug.  The mugs that we're printing on are blue, so they're going to print white onto the mug.  So I've set up my logo and text as a spot white plate in InDesign.  The mug also will have a photo on it, and I think it'd be good to print white underneath the photo so that the lighter areas of the photo don't end up tinted blue.  (I've been asking for confirmed specs but can't get a straight answer.)  I can't figure out how to create that though.  I made a spot white square the size of the photo and put it behind it.  Of course, that doesn't actually show up as a separation since the photo is on top of it.  How can I tell InDesign I want that separation even though it's behind an object?

Question make sense?

Thanks, Phyllis

• 1. Re: Spot underplate?
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

You can put spot color on the top of logo and text and photo, select the spot frame go to Window menu>Output>Attributes check on Overprint Fill.

When you print the separation print first spot color then photo, logo and text, hope this will help.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Spot underplate?
            phyllisj9 Level 2

Okay I found another thread explaining about putting the underplate on top and asking it to overprint.  So that's what I'm doing.  Is there any better way?  I don't trust the print guys not to screw it up if I give them a file that has a white square on top of the image.  I'm working with a company that always asks me for ancient specs (EPS with fonts outlined).  I made a PDF from InDesign and then resaved it as an EPS from Illustrator.  I then printed separations out of the EPS just to check, and it's separating correctly (photo shows up on the CMYK plates).  I'm still nervous because you can't actually see the photo when you first open the EPS though.  Any suggestions?

Thanks, Phyllis

• 3. Re: Spot underplate?
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you fill the image frame with the white spot and set the image to Multiply, you'll get the  separation. Like this where I have the image selected and have applied Multiply and the frame is filled with the Lab defined Spot WHITE UNDERCOLOR:

Screen Shot 2013-08-20 at 10.09.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-08-20 at 10.09.34 AM.png

• 4. Re: Spot underplate?

I'm working with a company that always asks me for ancient specs (EPS with fonts outlined).

EPS and transparency won't work. Sure they won't take a flattened PDF/X-1a?

• 5. Re: Spot underplate?
                  phyllisj9 Level 2

Awesome!!!  That works perfectly!  Thanks so much!  :-)

Phyllis

• 6. Re: Spot underplate?
                    phyllisj9 Level 2

Not clear about that question.  But I printed separations from the EPS, and it seems to work just fine. 

Thanks, Phyllis

• 7. Re: Spot underplate?

Yes it looks like the EPS export handles the transparency flattening OK. AI's Sep Preview shows it differently—the white plate displays as white and not black like it does in ID.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Spot underplate?
                        phyllisj9 Level 2

That's irritating.  I think what I'll do is give them a sample PDF of the separations as well as the composite EPS. 

I'd ask about the PDF x-1a, but they'll never answer.  I'm stuck with a go-between who will freak if I try to give him anything other than an EPS.

Thanks again,

Phyllis

• 9. Re: Spot underplate?

I think you're ok with the eps—the separtaions are going to output correctly. I don't think you have to worry about AI's Sep Preview.

• 10. Re: Spot underplate?
                            phyllisj9 Level 2

Thanks again!  I really appreciate your help!  :-)

Phyllis

• 11. Re: Spot underplate?
                              phyllisj9 Level 2

So Rob,

Just in case you're still out there.....  I noticed one fluke with using the multiply effect on the overprinted underplate (<- hope I worded that right).  When I create separations from Illustrator, there's a slight cutout in my underplate where there's a logo in the InDesign file.  I can't figure out why that is, but I don't think it'll affect the printing (do you?).  And since that makes no sense, take a look at the separations:

http://goo.gl/703cxg

Page 5 is the white underplate -- you can see a little bit of a logo inside that black square (that logo is a placed vector file on top of the photograph in the design).  I'm not sure why that is, but I'm guessing it's not enough to matter in terms of the printing process itself (?).  Thoughts?  Overall setup seem like it'll work well?

Thanks, Phyllis

• 12. Re: Spot underplate?

It looks like a bit of stitching from the transparency flattening. The EPS export dialog lets you choose a flattener preset make sure it's High:

Screen Shot 2013-08-21 at 10.07.46 AM.png

If the logo legibility matters you might want to avoid the multiply method, but even if you can keep it as vectors it's so small I doubt the text will be readable.

• 13. Re: Spot underplate?
                                  phyllisj9 Level 2

I'm actually making a PDF and then converting that to EPS in Illustrator (I'm using the PDF because this is a spread and I want all the cropmarks, etc.).  The EPS still seems to be vector.  I guess it just flattens when I try to make sample separations for them (so they'll know what I'm talking about on the underplate).

Am I better off switching back to the method that doesn't use Multiply?  The one that gives them a blank spot where the image is?

Thanks, Phyllis

• 14. Re: Spot underplate?
                                    phyllisj9 Level 2

I guess that's what I'll do.  I'll just put a giant note in the slug that says the photo shows up once the separations are created.  I'll also send a sample PDF and a sample set of separations.  I still expect phone calls though. 

Phyllis

• 15. Re: Spot underplate?

EPS doesn't support live transparency, so the image and vector get flattened either when you export the PDF or save the EPS.

If you find the multiply method more appealing add the vector logo in Illustrator. In any case your going to need a magnifier to read the logo.

• 16. Re: Spot underplate?
                                        phyllisj9 Level 2

Thanks for all your help!  Yeah, I know it's pointless to have a logo that small. 

Phyllis