2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2013 9:25 AM by Eugene Tyson Branched from an earlier discussion.

Re:  Creating Multiple tables of contents

soulbro

Can anyone answer either of these two questions?

1. Is there a way to create three different TOC's for items appearing in a catalog (not just chapter starting points)?

I need to display some index information alphabetically in one instance and sort separately on two other item criteria.

2. Is there a way to display a page range that certain items appear?

An example would be where the same item appears on pages 3-9. It may be acceptable for it to list as appearing on pages 3, 4, 5, 6, which I thought was how the "Run-in" setting would list them. But they are all separated out by semicolons one item and one page number at a time instead of being grouped together. (For example, Item 1 page 1; Item 1 page 2; Item1 page 3)

Perhaps there is a way to do this in InDesign but not using the Table of Contents feature?

• 1. Re:  Creating Multiple tables of contents
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I've branched this off into a new thread by itself and retitled it slightly.

If it appears in text as a paragraph, it can be included in a TOC. TOCs are based on paragraph styles, so any paragraph with a prticular style will be included in any TOC to which that style is added for inclusion. Boy does that sound confusing.

TOCs are usually built from various headings and subheadings (each type of heading would have a uninque paragraph style) or things like captions for illustrative figures. The entire paragraph is captured, though, up to the character limit which I think is 256, so you sometimes need to add non-printing paragraphs to your text (usually in a separate frame so it doesn't interrupt the text flow) if you don't want the exact text that appears in your paragraphs.

You can have as many TOCs as you like (create a TOC style for each one), and the same styles can be included in as many of them as necessary or desired, and they can be sorted by page number or alphabetically.

I use alphabetically sorted TOC to make an "Index to Advertisers" in some of my work -- pulling the advertiser names from non-printing tags I group with their ads. I have a script that will consolidate the listings when the advertiser has more than one ad on several pages, putting commas between the page numbers, as long as the sort is alpahbetical so they all appear together in a group:

//Consolidate listings
          //By Peter kahrel with some minor additions by Peter Spier

var myFrame = app.selection[0];
               if (myFrame != null && (myFrame.constructor.name == "TextFrame" ||myFrame.parent.constructor.name == "Story")) {

app.findGrepPreferences = app.changeGrepPreferences = null;
               app.findGrepPreferences.findWhat = "^(.+\\s)([\\d,\\s]+)\\r\\1([\\d,\\s]+)$";
               app.changeGrepPreferences.changeTo = "$1$2, $3";
               f = myFrame.parentStory.changeGrep ();

while (f.length > 0)
               f = myFrame.parentStory.changeGrep ();

} else { alert ("Select the Index Frame");               
          }

It may be possible to automatically process this further and replace the commas and intervening number with a dash, but I'm not a scripter. If the numbers are consecutive I'd probably just use a GREP find/change to replace the commas and intervening number withthe dash, but it would take me a bit of experimentation to come up with the correct expression.

• 2. Re:  Creating Multiple tables of contents
            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can create multiple TOCs

In the Layout>Table of Contents Styles

You can create a TOC and include a certain heading style

Then just create a new TOC style for your next batch of contents.

And include the Paragraph Style you want to appear in both.

It's very straight forward.