12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2013 2:14 PM by davidc1815

Painting with CS6 HELP!!!!

Graphixsor

I was painting on top of a picture I took, with the Art History brush one day adding an oil painting look to it (I was working on a new layer and not the layer with my photo on it), at end of the day I saved my work I had done so far and quit the program.  The next day, I went to continue my work.  When I loaded my work, added a new layer for a new section of the painting I wanted to do.  The Art History just painted in white instead of adding the oil painting effect I got the previous day.  I picked the same brush presets and the colors on my palette were set to the default colors (the way they were the day before).  Can anyone help me, so that I can continue on with my painting?

• 1. Re: Painting with CS6 HELP!!!!
          claricechan Level 3

Hi Graphixsor,

It seems like another user is experiencing the exact same problem, here is a link to another Forum Thread about the Art History Brush Tool.

Unfortunately, it seems like the Art History Brush works based on selected History State or Snapshot and that the History is lost on closing a file.

Here anoth is helpful link to How to Use the Art History Brush.

Hope it helps,

Clarice

• 2. Re: Painting with CS6 HELP!!!!
            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

If I uderstand you correctly, are you expecting your history states to be saved with the image?  They aren't.  When you reopen a saved file, there is nothing to use the history brush on, because the History panel is empty.  If you saved the image with a Snapshot state or two, that's different and you can use the Art History on a snapshot

• 3. Re: Painting with CS6 HELP!!!!
              Graphixsor Level 1

Thank you for posting.  After I wrote this, I thought I was the case. I have just forgotten it at that time.  I have been working with PS for yrs now, but thx to my short term memory due to some medical reasons, I forget time to time.

I failed to metion in my previous post, that I did save it with some snapshots.  After I reopened the .psd, my snapshots were gone tho........ O' well guess I got to start from square one

• 4. Re: Painting with CS6 HELP!!!!

Sorry, that was badly worded - you can't save an actual snapshot. Layer comps will work, or save previous versions of the file as you work.  You can turn off layers above the state you want to use for history, and make a copy merged layer above that, and duplicate that layer to another image file.  It's a bit of a PITA I guess.

• 5. Re: Painting with CS6 HELP!!!!
                  davidc1815 Level 4

When you reopen your saved psd file you presumably see in the layer stack a background layer (with your photo on it) and above it a working layer that has your art history brushstrokes.  To start painting from where you left off make the working layer invisible, make the original photo layer active, and create a snapshot using the "Current Layer" setting.in the "From" box.  That creates a snapshot of your photo.  Now make your working layer active and visible again, and select the snapshot you just made.  You are now able to start working again on your working image using the starting photo as the source. 

• 6. Re: Painting with CS6 HELP!!!!
                    Graphixsor Level 1

Thx for your help on this.  I'm not quite sure what you mean "From" box. 

I turned off all the "eyes" except for the photo I took.  I then took a snapshot (camera icon) in the History palette of the photo (assuming thats what you ment by "Current Layer"). I went back into my layers, and turned on my "painting" layer, then whe back into my History palette and clicked on the snapshot I just made.  When I do however, I in the Layers palette, it clicks off my painting (working) layer and turns on the original photo layer again....

• 7. Re: Painting with CS6 HELP!!!!
                      davidc1815 Level 4

When you make a snapshot you go to "New Snapshot" in the History palette.  (See below).  When you select this from the Menu, you get an option box which allows you to name the snapshot and using "From" you choose what it is you want to make a snapshot of.  (See the figure below).  -

currentlayermerged.jpg

• 8. Re: Painting with CS6 HELP!!!!

And I think you should probably ignore my earlier posts.  Looking back I was still in an early morning funk, and really not thinking properly.  I'll wait till after my first cup of tear before posting in future. :-(

• 9. Re: Painting with CS6 HELP!!!!
                          davidc1815 Level 4

So, Graphixsor, did this solve your problem? 

• 10. Re: Painting with CS6 HELP!!!!
                            Graphixsor Level 1

I was able to go in PS and try and get my image/painting to work.   I still am running into issues though.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Once I turned off my painting layer, turned on my photo.  I went to my History palette, clicked on the menu (instead of the camera icon), from the drop down box, chose the Current Layer option from the From box.  I then made my working layer active and visible, then selected the snapshot I made.  This merged my layers, and I can't see where I left off because that is on a different snapshot. 

Sorry of all this trouble, but I appreciate your help in all this nickna12

• 11. Re: Painting with CS6 HELP!!!!
                              Graphixsor Level 1

Oops, I should have play around with the palette a little more before posting my last comment.  I did get it to work.  Turns out, I selected the new snapshot instead of just "checking it" and still having my old snapshot active.  Thank you for walking my through this!!!

• 12. Re: Painting with CS6 HELP!!!!
                                davidc1815 Level 4

I'm glad you got it sorted out.  It's complicated to begin with but once you get used it, it becomes a powerful painting tool.