1 2 Previous Next 55 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2015 3:49 PM by berndporr

Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!

CSFoe Level 1

PremierePro CC 7.0.1. Working just great until this morning, when the volume and panner levels on one clip magically reset to "nan" so the clip plays no sound. Figured out what was wrong; reset the levels; all OK. Then this afternoon, most of the clips in the project did the same thing. I have six audio tracks and dozens of clips - it is going to take a LOOOONG time to reset each clip, with no guarantee that it won't keep doing this. What is going on? anyone know how to fix this?  The project is on deadline and this is so incredibly frustrating!

• 2. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
          CSFoe Level 1

Got me. Instead of panner> pan at 0.0, it says 'nan'.  When I highlight nan and return it to 0.0, I get sound back.

• 3. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Weird.  My only options are numbers ranging from -100 to +100.

• 4. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
              CSFoe Level 1

Yup - somehow PremierePro is changing it to something that's not normally included in the options... very weird indeed. And infuriating!

• 5. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                Jim_Simon Level 8

What kind of media?

• 6. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                  CSFoe Level 1

.wav files for the audio; .mov files for the video (DSLR), sync'd in PluralEyes. Closed the project last night after fixing all the audio clips; this morning they're all broken again

• 7. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I wonder if PluralEyes is having an unwanted side effect here.

• 8. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                      awisneski_01

I'm also having this same issue, but with the Pan setting. It resets to "nan" (not a numeral) everytime I close and reopen the project. These sequences were imported from Pluraleyes 3 XML files.

So far, I haven't found a solution online, and haven't figured it out myself. I have PP CC 7.0.1.

If I open the media in the source monitor, everything is fine. Audio waveform is there and I can hear the audio. But when I play the same file in the sequence, no audio in my headphones or in the audio meters.

Another weird thing ... I re-did the sync from PluralEyes and reimported all the sequences (about 10 different ones). And they were fine. Thought it was just a one time glitch. But this morning I reopened the project and the PAN setting was set back to "nan" and i couldn't hear it again.

If I open those same exported xml files in FCP, everything is fine.

Please help ADOBE!!!

• 9. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                        CSFoe Level 1

What I found was a couple things: first, the problem most likely is with PluralEyes 3.2.1. There is an update that seems to fix the issue.

Second, the support team at PluralEyes knew there is an issue with 3.2.1, as they told me to avoid opening the sequence marked 'replace' as 'funny things can happen.' Aside from that helpful info, the PluralEyes support team basically left me hanging in the wind. They didn't even bother to tell me about the update - I had to find that on my own.

Third - adobe wasn't any more eager to help. Got really crappy response from their team, and to top it all off they disabled the survey link in the follow-up email so I wouldn't be able to give input on how lousy their support is.

But what you care about is how did I fix it. I am so sorry I do not have good news - I tried fixing all the settings that had changed (pan to 'nan') when I opened the project. I noticed that the funky resetting only occurred when the project was closed and re-opened, so I just kept it open. But the issues slowly got worse. A strange buzz developed in my right speaker that made me think I had blown my speakers so we ordered a new set. Surprise! Same buzz in the new right speaker.

Then - all the audio just disappeared from the sequence. No waveform, no sound. I spent a wild weekend trying to figure out how to get it back - and after two days of no results AND no help from Adobe or Red Giant (Pluraleyes support) I made the decision to rebuild the project from scratch, with the PluralEyes update.

It was an unbelieveable job, I lost two more weekends plus untold evening hours, but it had to be done as I could find no way to fix the corrupted project file.

so my advice is to update Pluraleyes and then to rebuild your project instead of trying to put up with the little irritations. In my experience they will only grow until your project is unusable. When you rebuild, do not use Pluraleyes as an extension from within PremierePro. Instead open it separately and drop in the video and audio files you want to sync, then export as a PremierePro XML file.

It would be great if  you can get Red Giant or Adobe to tell you how to salvage your existing project, but in my experience that's unlikely...

• 10. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                          awisneski_01 Level 1

Thanks for the response CSFoe,

Unfortunately, I'm already on PE 3.2.2. So it seems to be happening even after the update.

And I'm passing this project on to another editor, so it's not an option to leave it open anyway. I think I have to bail on Premiere for this one and edit in FCP. Wah, wah.

• 11. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                            CSFoe Level 1

Did you start the project with 3.2.2? or did you update after you used 3.2.1? And, did you use PluralEyes as a PremierePro extension? I'm disturbed to hear that you've updated and still have the problem... that means they haven't fixed it. Yikes!!!

• 12. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                              awisneski_01 Level 1

Yep I started with 3.2.2. Never even had the older version.

I'm not sure what you mean by a PP extension. I was loading the clips in PluralEyes directly, then exporting to Premiere XML.

• 13. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                                JaysonM-Y Level 3

I know this seems like madness but what would happen when you export another xml from FCP of said sequence with the adjustmetns to use inside of PrPro?

http://inception.davepedu.com/

• 14. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                                  CSFoe Level 1

The problem may be with the option PluralEyes offers to replace the audio. Red Giant support warned me about using that sequence, and I unchecked that option in PluralEyes when I exported an .xml file the second time I build the project. The first time, (with 3.2.1) I believe that option was checked and I didn't uncheck it. The first time I also opened one or two sequences where the audio had been replaced.

• 15. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                                    thomasR

Having the same problem, cant seem to fiend out what is happening. With me also the immage was gone. I had to remove all effects to make it reappear, while there werent anny effects applied by me. Than the first time audio is there, the second time the audio is set to nan, in the panner under audio effects and the third time the wave forms are gone and no audio...... Been spending days finding a solution. This is the onley forum that handels it as far as i could find out, but no solution.... i was using plural eyes 3.1 and premiere pro 7.1. I updated Plural eyes but have a big problem redoing the project.... I just edited a whole day on it...... What a weird problem. Also it seems to corrupt the audio itself. If i replace the audio manually and restart, the problem reaccurs..... Feel unsafe to redo thje whole editing and lose the whole project agai...... Even not 100% sure its plural eyes> Annybody any luck?

excuse my English, writing from Amsterdam, Netherlands.

• 16. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                                      jphunwick

I lost a few hours to this today!

one minute my edit is fine... the next no audio anywhere in the project except on newly imported media.

all pan settings set to 'nan'.

JaysonM-Y was on the right track!

Exported whole project to XML. opened that in FCP. checked audio worked. export new XML from FCP. Open in Premiere pro CC...

project is back up and running!

• 17. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                                        pusherhq

We're seeing this issue as well on Premiere CC 7.1.0 and PluralEyes 3.2.3.

We still can't find a solution. Tried exporting to XML and opening in FCP, but the problem persists there.

jphunwick, did you do anything other than simply opening the Adobe XML export in FCP?

Looks like a lot of people are running into this issue - I hope someone that can do something about it is paying attention!

• 18. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                                          jphunwick Level 1

Ive had the problem pop up sporadically since.

I seem to be able to fix it by creatig new audio tracks,

then remove all effects from all clips. click on one clip and set the pan to 0. copy that and apply effects 'pan' to all other clips.

then move everything onto the new tracks. delete the old tracks.

been helping with this project for me.

• 19. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                                            JP VanWyk Level 1

I have PPCC 7.2, an update sent and installed yesterday to fix the bug.  I'm having the same problem with audio playback set to nan but at least the audio is not disappearing like it did in the earlier version.  Before the waveform actually disappeared.  That's not happening this time and I seem to ba able to consistently play clips in the source monitor with audio.  Just not in the program monitor.  I guess that's progress but not a real fix.

JPVW

• 20. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                                              Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

As you've reported, the CC7.2 update does not have a fix for the issue that causes Audio Levels to get set to "nan." We have not yet been able to reproduce this problem in-house. Until we can, our developers have little chance of fixing it.

Given that several customers have reported this, we have no doubt that the problem is more than just an inexplicable glitch on one or two systems. So we continue to investigate. Any information that you can provide may be helpful in isolating the issue: hardware configuration, plugins, workflows, effects that are in use. Also, if anybody who's experiencing this problem happens to live near San Jose or elsewhere in the SF bay area, we might try to arrange to troubleshoot this in person.

• 21. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                                                pusherhq Level 1

We're located about 3.5 hours north of SF in case you'd consider traveling a bit to troubleshoot this. We're also happy to send project file + media exhibiting the bug if that'd be helpful.

As for our setup & workflow:

- iMac 2.9 ghz Core i5, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB, Mac OS X 10.9

- Premiere CC 7.1.0

- Synced audio by building a sequence in Premiere and then using PluralEyes Connector (3.0.0) to launch & sync in PluralEyes (3.2.1 at the time, I believe)

- Worked with this project for several days without incident

- Bug appeared only after sending synced sequences to AME for render/export. Exported files had no audio, and then back in Premiere the 'nan' bug appeared for the audio pan and we lost audio. Ended up losing all audio waveforms in the sequences - changing the pan from 'nan' to a valid value did not bring back our audio. We had to revert to an old version of the project file that still had waveforms, then fix the 'nan' values. We exported directly from Premiere and retained audio in the exports. I believe we still experience trouble if we queue via AME.

• 22. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                                                  jphunwick Level 1

I too used plural eyes earlier in the workflow. 

This issue seems to affect system audio also!

If you have iTunes playing int he background, then play a timeline with some of these 'nan' affected clips - when the playhead reaches that clip all system audio is cut out. once the playhead moves past the broken clip iTunes kicks back in. So the 'nan' problem is affecting everything... very odd.

This is a very frustrating issue.

Mark, please get in touch and i can send you a project and some media to test on your end.

Cheers

• 23. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                                                    PD3three

Any word on a fix? I don't think that it's a Pluralize problem. Although I did import Pluralize info into the project, so maybe that has corrupted the whole deal.

I am having the same 'nan' issues that everyone else has had. But on Broll, Sound effects, everything. I can remove all effects, reset the audio gain, change the pan back to zero from 'nan' and that seems to work. But the audio reverts back to glitched mode when I close and reopen the project. On SOME of the clips. It's completely random. Also, I can match back to the original clip and recut that in. Seems to get rid of the problem. Until I reopen it. Then glitch.

Im on Premiere CC 7.2 I mac intel core 2 Duo 8 gb ram, os 10.7.5

• 24. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I don't think that it's a Pluralize problem.

I do.  Seems like only people using that have the issue.

• 25. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                                                        PD3three Level 1

Perhaps the Pluralize XMLs are corrupting the whole project? Just oddly, it's not just the clips from that XML that are affected. I have sequences that have nothing to do with the  the sync footage XML, Broll and Sound effects- yet those clips are having the same issues as the clips that are from the Pluralize XML. That was my point.

• 26. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                                                          Jim_Simon Level 8

A fair point to make.  Still, only PE users seem to be having the issue.  I've not seen FCP or other XML types cause this.

• 27. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                                                            karaherold

Did you find the answer to this problem?  i have the SAME PROBLEM.

• 28. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                                                              karaherold Level 1

I am willing to come to Adobe to show you the problem.  I am nearby in San Francisco.   I've been dealing with this issure for a month.

• 29. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                                                                JP VanWyk Level 1

I finally have solved the problem with the help of someone who is very familiar with both Premiere and Plural Eyes.  Turns out that when you import a synced sequence from Plural Eyes into Premiere, the sequence settings get changed.  Right click on your sequence before loading it into the timeline.  Go to "Sequence Settings." Make sure the settings match your the format of the footage you are importing.  In my case, the DSLR setting had been changed to make it a DV Quicktime file etc and the frame size was all out of whack.

Also I recommend that you not use the "Sync Replace" option.  I've consistentently had problems with it and now prefer to import a synced sequence with the original audio which I can then delete.

Let me know if this solves your problem.  you have my sympathy.  I grappled with the same problem for 2 mo.

JPVW

• 30. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                                                                  4creations

Does anyone have a solution? I have the same Problem - also with Pluraleyes. Sometimes just one channel of stereo - sometimes i lost all my sound and the settings for Audio are "nan".

It would be terrible if i have to cut the whole project again!!

• 31. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                                                                    JP VanWyk Level 1

See my post Jan. 4, 2014.  What happened to me is that the sequence settings changed when I imported a synced sequence from Plural Eyes to PP.  Check your sequence settings before loading your synced sequence into the timeline.  Make sure all the settings correspond to the original footage.  I also had more success not using the "Sync Replace" option when importing.  it's easy enough to delete unwanted audio.

Hope this helps.

• 32. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                                                                      4creations Level 1

I was asking the support from RedGiant about this problem and they confirmed that this is still and open issue.

They are working with adobe to try to resolve this issue and will release an update as soon as they're able to.

Until this time,  i will Import the XML in FCP7 and export it again for Premiere..... and hope the best...

• 33. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                                                                        goldengreenave

I'm having that problem today—I live in SF and would be happy to stop by the Adobe offices.

• 34. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                                                                          JP VanWyk Level 1

Were you importing footage from Plural Eyes?  If so, that may be the problem.  When footage is imported from PE to PPCC, the sequence settings are changed.  You need right click on the imported sequence and change the settings to match the native settings of the footage; ie: DSLR, native frame rate and pixel settings.  Let me know if this helps because I struggled with the problem for 2 months before finding someone who could help me.  If not, there's somethign else going on which is entirely possible.

• 35. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                                                                            goldengreenave Level 1

Indeed PluralEyes was involved. It's very confusing because it worked for a

previous video I did without any problems and it even worked for several

days without problems and sudden this problem flared up out of nowhere. I

will try your trick today but have lost about three days of work synching

the unsyncable...

• 36. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                                                                              JP VanWyk Level 1

When you import to PPCC, I suggest not checking the replace audio box.  I've run into problems when I've done that as well. Good luck.  Let me know if this helps.

• 37. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                                                                                Mitch W Adobe Employee

If anyone on this forum thread has, or can get an XML that generates the "nan" problem in Premiere Pro, please contact me (please?). We'd like to fix this problem.

• 38. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                                                                                  gregoryfwright

Having very similar issues!!

(breathing into a brown paper bag) It started with some imported sequences that produced the heavy, harsh audio pops when scrubbing though, and then mostly no audio when playing down--mostly. Note, this was by no means the irksome "poppy, static-sounding" audio quirks we've gotten to know well in Premiere Pro CC. These sequences were imported into a fully functional system: CC, 7.2,  OSX10.8.5, 3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC, AJA KONA 3. All 23.976 Pro Res 422 LT converted from RED EPIC.

When matching-back to the original clip, original clip audio was fine...no pops, no playback problems. AND, when overwriting the clip onto itself (onto these imported, selects sequences) things played fine. ...then we shut down for the night. Next day, I found that MOST sequences, including b-roll selects built 6 months ago, were now producing these heavy, doomsday pops when scrubbing and then essentially not playing any audio. Meters were flat. Nevertheless, waveforms completely present and visible on the timeline. The audio line on certain channels of certain clips was missing (see screenshot) and when double clicking said timeline clip to load it into the clip window, we'd actually see that missing slider and the now infamous "nan." (see screenshot of that and next to it, the same clip from a match-frame for proof of both channels)

We've tried: New projects, repeated pref-trashing passes, un-installing the AJA drivers and PP completely, re-installing from the Cloud...nothing. Next, we rolled back to 7.0 and patched up to 7.1, even the 8 BETA. No dice. It seems inconsistent, random, maddening. Scary that a full software reinstall and roll-back didn't fix this. That is to say, we're running a version of Premiere from a little ways back, using sequences from a little ways back, with no hardware changes to our system...

Don't tell me that we have to walk-of-shame ourselves back to FCP 7.

Screen Shot 2014-05-19 at 11.25.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-05-19 at 11.25.02 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-05-19 at 11.25.41 AM.png

• 39. Re: Audio levels resetting to "nan" - no sound. Help!
                                                                                    j.thelia

Hello Mitch,

I'm working with Greg Wright, see his post above.  Here's a link to an xml of one of our sequences that has "Nan" issues.  What's also strange is that when we bring xmls from this project into FCP, we also see the "Nan" reading in the FCP audio meters.  Thanks, Jerome

https://www.yousendit.com/download/ZUczV296Q0M4Q1J2TzhUQw

1 2 Previous Next