2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2013 5:33 PM by station_two

Color signals in CS6

Hello all,,

So.. CMYK signals in Photoshop CS6 - lets say C-0 M-4 Y-44 K-0.

Assigned profile: ISO Coated v2

Placing this in AI (same profile, no conversion) the pipette now reads: C-1 M-7 Y-53 K-0

Save as PDF> Pipette now reads: C-0 M-4 Y-44 K-0.

Why are the CMYK values "wrong" in AI info dialog? Seems like there are different renderings computing the image..?! Color Settings all same, set to preserve evrything.

Experts? Kindly help..

• 1. Re: Color signals in CS6
          John Danek Level 4

This deviate in Illustrator's preview color might be based on the monitor profile and the color picker's read on that specific color.  This is proven when you either print the file or create a PDF and the color does not change, as is your case.  I've read elsewhere that color picker or "Eyedropper" 'signals' are unreliable.  Just another computer related issue to cause you to go grab another pain reliever.  I never use the Eyedropper tool in Illustrator.  If I know I have a 4%M, 44%Y image file coming over from Photoshop, then it ends there with the file printing correctly without me fishing around for some type of preview confirmation in Illustrator.

• 2. Re: Color signals in CS6
            Level 5

There have been subtle and not-so-subtle hints by Adobe engineers that the different point applications are at different levels of sophistication when it comes to color management—to put it politely.

When discrepancies pop up, I go with Photoshop 100% of the time.

Inconsistency between or among applications in the artificial "suites" should come as no surprise.

The "suite" concept is a fabrication of Adobe marketing and bean-counting types.  The engineering teams are totally independent of each other, they are not only in different buildings but in different cities and states of the American Union, even in different countries.

The fact that they have little if any communication among them is highlighted by requests occasionally made in these forums by top Adobe engineers to let the other teams know when there are problems in one application that impact our workflow in another one.