9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2013 8:12 AM by John Danek

t shirt design

ziggy067 Level 1

Hi

I am making a t shirt for my ski club.

I can only use 3 colours at the most

I have been looking through google for some inspiration.

I love this effect http://www.deerydesign.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Tee-Shirt-Design-108.jpg

I really like the brush and shading effects that are used

An effect like this created from a photo say like this for example would be perfect

579528_4428661687383_921207853_n.jpg

Any help (links to tutorials, things to look up ect...) on how I could accomplish this would be greatly appreciated.

I can use illustrator too but I assume something like this would be best done in Photoshop?

Thanks in advance,

Simon

Using Photoshop CS6

• 1. Re: t shirt design
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

I think the image you chose is a bad fit for the style you want to use.

As for the drops and drips you may want to search for »photoshop brush splatter«.

As for the shading effects Pattern Layers (of line patterns for example) set to the blend Mode Hard Mix can be used to fake-screen images.

• 2. Re: t shirt design
            ziggy067 Level 1

Thanks a lot for your help. That image was just a first thought I'm going to look at using different ones. I am considering this at the moment. What do you think?

http://www.axisfreeride.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/DSC_0272.jpg

set to the blend Mode Hard Mix?

So do you mean putting a some lines/patterns over the images and setting the blend mode or that to hard mix? Could you possibly link an image showing what you mean?

Thanks a lot,

Simon

• 3. Re: t shirt design
              ziggy067 Level 1

*of that to hard mix?

• 4. Re: t shirt design
                c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

effectsSki2Scr.jpg

Something like this could be used on parts of the image and the line pattern could also be distorted …

• 5. Re: t shirt design
                  ziggy067 Level 1

Thanks for everyones help here.

I thought I'd have a go at the angry panda first to see if I could learn all the tricks.

angry-panda.png

• 6. Re: t shirt design
                    ziggy067 Level 1

2 Things I'd love to know how to do to make this even better are.

1) How can I paint around the edge of my panda to make the edges gungy like this. I have a path that outlines the panda and I know how to stroke that path. But I don't know how to set the brush style up so I don't just get a normal painted line. I want a random blotchy effect.

Screen Shot 2013-08-21 at 23.05.12.png

Also how do I get these streaking brush effects?

Screen Shot 2013-08-21 at 23.13.16.png

All the brushes I can find are splats like this. I could draw those streaks as paths and then stroke them but once again I don't know how to style the brush.

Screen Shot 2013-08-21 at 23.15.11.png

Thanks for all your help so far. There's no way I could have gotton this far with out this help!

Simon

• 7. Re: t shirt design
                      ziggy067 Level 1

Here is a link where you can get my psd file http://rapidshare.com/files/1889058298/angry-panda_v2.psd

• 8. Re: t shirt design
                        c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Randomizing a brush can be done with »Shape Dynamics« (»Size Jitter«, »Angle Jitter«, »Flip … Jitter«) and »Scattering« in the Brush Panel.

So even with an ordinary elliptical brush tip one can get something like this:

brushScatteringScr.jpg

Another option to frizzle the border of a color area is the Filter »Displace« with a noisy Displacement Map.

edgeScatteringDisplace.jpg

As for the streaks:

Creating them in Photoshop may be a hassle.

If you can’t find brushes like that you could check the stock image sites or scan/photograph some real paint splattering you did yourself.

A post-script to the Hard Mix Pattern Layer issue:

The Pattern should be blurred so that the effect will modulate with the luminance of the image.

• 9. Re: t shirt design
                          John Danek Level 4

I agree.  You are spending alot of time on something that is totally speculative ( if I'm not mistaken ).  Perhaps it would be better to draft up a few sketches of your ideas and present them to the club.  You will get valuable feedback on how to proceed.  They may or may not like the grunge effects and all the time and effort will be for your portfolio.  Try combining hand drawn effects with digital filters and plug-ins in Photoshop as suggested previously.  Many splotch effects can be done with filters in Photoshop and different settings.  Also think about your limitations of three colors.  That limitation alone could dictate the direction of your illustration.