3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2013 3:43 PM by station_two

More memory?

Semaphoric Adobe Community Professional

My current workstation build is nearly five years old. I find it still  fast enough that I don't fell the itch to rebuild it yet.

I currently have 8GB RAM, but I've been wondering if upping that to 16GB would give a significant performance boost. The problem is I need four 4GB DDR2 memory sticks, which are way more expensive than the corresponding DDR3.

So, would 16GB be a noticable improvement? Or, maybe I could just replace two of my current sticks,  for 12GB? If it's any help, I have a dedicated 125GB WD Velociraptor for my scratch disk.

• 1. Re: More memory?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Depends on what files you work with, but unless you use large files with hundreds of layers or use Merge to HDR all the time, it's unlikely you will see any difference. Most other stuff will end up one way or another in PS' page file. Perhaps using the history brush/ history states and layer comps a lot might also benefit from more RAM...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: More memory?
            Semaphoric Adobe Community Professional

Thanks for th input. I want to finally properly stitch some of the large panoramic sequences I've accunulated. I'd likely be doing the merging in some dedicated stitching app, but would be doing post in Photoshop.

• 3. Re: More memory?
              Level 5

Semaphoric wrote:

…I want to finally properly stitch some of the large panoramic sequences I've accunulated. I'd likely be doing the merging in some dedicated stitching app, but would be doing post in Photoshop.

That could potentially give a reason to question the capacity of your scratch disk.

The rule of thumb I follow says to figure on 50 to 100 times the size of your largest file ever multiplied by the number of files you have open.  I have seen the scratch file exceed 300 GB once, an admittedly rare occurrence, but it often exceeds 200 GB when stitching large panoramas and the like.

As an example—and stressing that I'm aware that others have even more scratch space than I do—I keep two dedicated, physically separate hard drives as my primary and secondary Photoshop scratch disks and a lot of GB free on my boot drive for the OS.  I also have 16 GB of RAM installed.

Ps_13_Prefs_Perform_settings.png