4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2013 4:59 PM by A.T. Romano

Conversion of ACVHD video to .mov file

sca-tv

How do I convert video ACVHD video to a .mov file so that I can make it compatible to use on a MAC?  I have a P.C. at home, where I edit on

Premier Elements, but the studio uses MACS.  I know a .mov file is compatible with a MAC.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

• 1. Re: Conversion of ACVHD video to .mov file
          A.T. Romano Level 7

sca-tv

What version of Premiere Elements is involved here?

Am I correct that you are talking about use of a file exported and saved to hard drive in Windows? We are not talking about using a project.prel created in Premiere Elements Windows and trying to open that in Premiere Elemens Mac? That is a not go.

AVCHD is a video compression type often designated MPEG4 AVC/H.264. What is the file extension (wrapper for AVCHD), .mp4, .mts, other?

Without more information about what you have, I am not sure that you need to convert what you have to anything else for import into Mac. What are the properties of what you have:

Frame Size: 1920 x 1080 or other

Frame Rate: 25 or 29.97/30 interlaced or progressive frames per second

Scan Type: Interlaced or Progressive

Pixel Aspect Ratio = Square Pixels (1.0) or other

File Extension: .mp4 or other

Based on that information and provided that you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on Windows and Mac...

AVCHD.mov

Publish+Share

Computer

QuickTime

and set Presets = NTSC DV 16:9 with customization to the required properties under the Advanced Button/Video Tab (video codec = H.264) and Audio Tab (audio codec = AAC or other).

If you have AVCHD.mp4, give that a try as is in your Premiere Elements Mac.

But more information is needed to fine tune.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Conversion of ACVHD video to .mov file
            sca-tv Level 1

To answer some of your questions.........

Program is Elements 11

File exported and saved to hard drive in windows

MP4

35mbpx

1920x1080

frame rate 29 frames/sec

Progressive

Camera is a Canon Vixia HFR400

• 3. Re: Conversion of ACVHD video to .mov file
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Sca-TV,

Can your Mac not Import the MTS files?

If it can, then that would be my recommendation, rather than any conversion, and especially as you are starting with compressed files to begin with.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Conversion of ACVHD video to .mov file
                A.T. Romano Level 7

sca-tv

For what you presented, I am not seeing a problem with importing the AVCHD.mp4 into Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 or 8 64 bit or Mac 64 bit.

But, please confirm what you are starting with, that is, importing into Premiere Elements Windows in the first place (direct from the camera)...AVCHD.mts, AVCHD.mp4, AVCHD.m2ts. Here I am after the file extension not the video compression AVCHD which is often represented as MPEG4 AVC/H.264.

Thanks.

ATR