3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2013 10:23 PM by the_wine_snob

Resolution for stills being projected on to large screen

badgerputz2

What resolution and physical size should photos be scanned and cropped to if I plan to project them (using Premier Elements) on to a large screen - for a wedding reception?

• 1. Re: Resolution for stills being projected on to large screen
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Will the output file be fed to the projector as an HD (High Definition) file, or as an SD (Standard Definition)?

Does the Project only contain the Still Images, or will there also be Video included?

If there is Video, what are the specs. of those files?

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Resolution for stills being projected on to large screen
            badgerputz2 Level 1

Bill;

Thanks for the quick reply.  I am fairly new to Premiere.

It will be an SD file.

The show will be 90% still shots (from scanned and digital photos).  There will be short segments of just a few videos.  The two included so far have not been trimmed down to size yet but will be about 30mb each; and are Standard Def;  720 x480; w/ a pixel depth of 32.  Do you need to know more about them yet?

• 3. Re: Resolution for stills being projected on to large screen
              the_wine_snob Level 9

That covers the main questions.

As you will be doing SD, I would start with an NTSC (or PAL, depending on where you live), and choose DV, which will give you a Frame Size of 720 x 480, and probably Widescreen 16:9.

For the Still Images, I would Scale those in Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements to about 720 x 480 (the general rec. is for 1000 x 750, but unless you plan on doing any Pans on a Zoomed out Image, then go with the Frame Size of your Project). With any video, that is larger, say 1920 x 1080, then I would Scale those down to match the Frame Size of the Project.

Good luck,

Hunt