20 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2008 2:31 PM by Newsgroup_User

Progress bar

rafa@mediatech Level 1
      Hello everyone:
      I was looking online on how to create my own progress bar...and everything I found are tutorials made for lingo masters! There has to be a simpler way of explaining us mortals how to create something as simple as a progress bar.

What I am trying to accomplish is to give the CD user a load bar that tells him how much of the content on the CD has loaded. Something I can put on my very first frame that will show progress while the interface loads.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
        • 1. Re: Progress bar
          Level 7
          You are not going to be able to display progress while your interface
          loads, as Director is already too busy loading your interface.
          However, your question suggests that your application is taking "too
          long" to load from CD. There are some strategies to alleviate this:
          1). Place a bitmap file with the same name as your projector /next/ to
          your projector. This bitmap could contain text along the lines of
          "Please wait while <application_name> loads..." and a logo or similar.
          It can be any dimension, but the smaller it is the faster it will display.
          2). Create a so-called fast-start stub projector. See <
          http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_14431> for more details.
          3). Use your burning software to set your stub and immediately required
          startup files to be "highest priority" so that they are kept together
          (no need for the read head to move very far to locate and read the
          files) and burned to the outside of the disc where data is read more
          quickly (due to angular momentum).
          • 2. Re: Progress bar
            Level 7
            Oooohhh cool tips!

Richard Smith

• 3. Re: Progress bar
              johnAq Level 1
              Sean's comments are all very valid, regarding the load time for your app to load/appear.

Once it's running, if you need to preload a set of assets for a particular purpose (eg they might form an upcoming animation) you can place each asset in a frame of score - one after the other OFF-STAGE (not visible). You can then create a progress bar for these by simply tweening a shape on stage across the range of frames.

When the movie plays, it loads each asset, but the only thing you see on the stage is the expanding shape

hth

johnAq
              • 4. Re: Progress bar
                rafa@mediatech Level 1
                Thanks everyone for your quick replies.

Sean:
                The project is not that big, so loading time is not the issue. The thing is that my client WANTS to see the load bar (he likes it and cant live without it I guess). I have done the fast start stub and also the bitmap graphic technique in the past. I did not feel the stub projector made my project load faster, it actually took longer. The bitmap graphic helps a lot visually for the user. But like I said, he wants a load bar.

johnAq:
                What you just mention is what I am looking for. A load bar that shows the progress of some animation that is to come. Something that I can tell it to show progress of the loading of members between frame 1 and frame 50 for example. that way I can use it in other places with animation and just change the frame numbers that the bar needs to load....

Any ideas on how to do this???

Thank you again everyone.
                • 5. Re: Progress bar
                  Level 7

"rafa@mediatech" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:fmih96$j37$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Thanks everyone for your quick replies.
                  >
                  > Sean:
                  > The project is not that big, so loading time is not the issue. The
                  > thing is
                  > that my client WANTS to see the load bar (he likes it and cant live
                  > without it
                  > I guess). I have done the fast start stub and also the bitmap
                  > graphic technique
                  > in the past. I did not feel the stub projector made my project load
                  > faster, it
                  > actually took longer. The bitmap graphic helps a lot visually for
                  > the user. But
                  > like I said, he wants a load bar.
                  >
                  > johnAq:
                  > What you just mention is what I am looking for. A load bar that
                  > shows the
                  > progress of some animation that is to come. Something that I can
                  > tell it to
                  > show progress of the loading of members between frame 1 and frame 50
                  > for
                  > example. that way I can use it in other places with animation and
                  > just change
                  > the frame numbers that the bar needs to load....
                  >
                  > Any ideas on how to do this???
                  >
                  > Thank you again everyone.
                  >

Hi Rafa.

Another option is to start a very simple movie first, that preloads
                  the next movie, and goes there when the preload is done. I assume
                  "PreloadMovie" still works in recent Director versions?
                  I also did this once:
                  On start of the movie, you open a "splash-screen", that is a MIAW. Put
                  it in front of the stage and have it just sit there until the main
                  movie reaches a certain point. Then it gets closed by the main movie.

Make the progressbar in this first movie.

Did you look here:
                  http://www.mediamacros.com/list.asp

type "progress bar" into the box, it gives 4 results. Maybe one will
                  do it?
                  There is a progress bar with timer, maybe "fake" it a bit and have it
                  go from 0 to 100 % in 5 seconds and then just wait more? ;)

My experiences with fast start projectors are mixed.
                  I find that loading from CD is always slow, and some systems / drives
                  are slower than others.
                  The fast start projectors are very good from HD.

Good luck,

Richard

• 6. Re: Progress bar
                    rafa@mediatech Level 1
                    Richard:
                    Thanks for replaying. I checked the site you suggested and found the progress bar with timer. I placed this lingo on the bar that I want to react as the progress bar, but my play head just speeds through it. It doesn't show the sprite when it plays, so I think it is hiding it, it just doesn't know what to load I guess.
                    • 7. Re: Progress bar
                      Level 7

news:fmipi8$s4d$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Richard:
                      > Thanks for replaying. I checked the site you suggested and found the
                      > progress
                      > bar with timer. I placed this lingo on the bar that I want to react
                      > as the
                      > progress bar, but my play head just speeds through it. It doesn't
                      > show the
                      > sprite when it plays, so I think it is hiding it, it just doesn't
                      > know what to
                      > load I guess.
                      >

Rafa,
                      I just read the description of the script, and it has some important
                      info at the top.
                      Did you do it like it says there?

Richard.

• 8. Re: Progress bar
                        Level 7

"johnAq" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                        news:fmgmei$gsu$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > Sean's comments are all very valid, regarding the load time for your
                        > app to
                        > load/appear.
                        >
                        > Once it's running, if you need to preload a set of assets for a
                        > particular
                        > purpose (eg they might form an upcoming animation) you can place
                        > each asset in
                        > a frame of score - one after the other OFF-STAGE (not visible). You
                        > can then
                        > create a progress bar for these by simply tweening a shape on stage
                        > across the
                        > range of frames.
                        >
                        > When the movie plays, it loads each asset, but the only thing you
                        > see on the
                        > stage is the expanding shape
                        >
                        > hth
                        >
                        >
                        > johnAq

Hi John,
                        its a strategy we have used often, and works well. With this you have
                        complete control over preloading without need to do any programming.
                        Its also flexible: when a cast member or sprite is deleted, its also
                        automatically no longer preloaded :)

R.

• 9. Re: Progress bar
                          rafa@mediatech Level 1
                          What I am trying to accomplish is:
                          The CD has an intro with animation and audio. I would like for this audio and animation to load before it plays so that it plays smoothly. I am trying to find out how to make a load bar that shows how much data of the animation has loaded, and that when the members that participating in the intro are loaded the go to the frame where the intro starts.

I understand that when the project loads from the CD there is no way to show a progress bar because the project is currently loading, so I just want to make a load bar that loads the animation and audio members used on the intro.
                          • 10. Re: Progress bar
                            rafa@mediatech Level 1
                            Richard:
                            Yes...I read the description, but I still get the same effect...playhead just goes right through the load members.
                            • 11. Re: Progress bar
                              Level 7

news:fmir4q$hf$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > Richard:
                              > Yes...I read the description, but I still get the same
                              > effect...playhead just goes right through the load members.

Dont you need to put a "go to the frame" behaviour / script someplace?
                              I havent used that specific behaviour before, so cant say for sure.

How about the other option?
                              Create a frame animation of a progressbar over lets say 50 frames, and
                              put your items to be loaded one ofter the other in the score, spread
                              over those 50 frames, but off stage and paused?

Richard.

• 12. Re: Progress bar
                                rafa@mediatech Level 1
                                Richard:
                                I tried you suggestion of placing the members outside the stage so that they load first, and it works great!!!!!

Now the problem I have is loading the audio files along with the graphics so that they play smoothly when needed.
                                • 13. Re: Progress bar
                                  Level 7

news:fml465$hgc$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  > Richard:
                                  > I tried you suggestion of placing the members outside the stage so
                                  > that they
                                  > load first, and it works great!!!!!
                                  >
                                  > Now the problem I have is loading the audio files along with the
                                  > graphics so
                                  > that they play smoothly when needed.
                                  >

Hi,

For the sound member use: preloadmember("member name"), you could also
                                  use this for other members.
                                  Sound members are not easily preloaded on the stage, because they
                                  start
                                  playing :(
                                  You could catch this by first setting the volume to 0, but its not
                                  elegant.

Preloading can be a complicated thing.
                                  You can also mess things up if you do it wrong, and make everything
                                  .. slower. :(

Just make sure you dont try to read more than 1 thing at a time from a
                                  CD, the performance of the drives is very poor for that.

Richard.

• 14. Re: Progress bar
                                    Level 7
                                    > Sound members are not easily preloaded on the stage, because they
                                    > start
                                    > playing :(

You could the try 'sound(channel).queue()' command
                                    • 15. Re: Progress bar
                                      Level 7

"Sean Wilson" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                      news:fmm08c$hmr$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      >> Sound members are not easily preloaded on the stage, because they
                                      >> start
                                      >> playing :(
                                      >
                                      > You could the try 'sound(channel).queue()' command

Ah... modern times...! ;)

R.

• 16. Re: Progress bar
                                        rafa@mediatech Level 1
                                        Sean:
                                        Can you give me a few more details on the 'sound(channel).queue()' command?...sorry, still learning a lot about director.
                                        • 17. Re: Progress bar
                                          Level 7
                                          I don't know that I can expand too much on what the docs provide. You
                                          did read the docs...?
                                          • 18. Re: Progress bar
                                            rafa@mediatech Level 1
                                            Sean:
                                            I tried "sound(1).queue("step1")", but it prompts me an error window "Handler not found in object." Does this mean it can only work on mouseUp events like it is shown on the techNotes? I am trying to get a load bar effect, I thought that by placing different sprites continuously with the queue lingo, it would load them and be ready to use, at the same time giving me my load bar effect.
                                            • 19. Re: Progress bar
                                              rafa@mediatech Level 1
                                              I used the preloadmember function as suggested by Richard, and it works fine with the load bar effect. One more question, if I have a loop animation, does preloadmember("loopanimation") work for it as well, or do I need some other method for preloading loops? I tried it, but my loop animation still is reaaaaaally slow even though it is getting loaded at the beginning of the movie.
                                              • 20. Re: Progress bar
                                                Level 7

news:fmo23k$q5k$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                >I used the preloadmember function as suggested by Richard, and it
                                                >works fine
                                                > with the load bar effect. One more question, if I have a loop
                                                > animation, does
                                                > preloadmember("loopanimation") work for it as well, or do I need
                                                > some other
                                                > method for preloading loops? I tried it, but my loop animation still
                                                > is
                                                > reaaaaaally slow even though it is getting loaded at the beginning
                                                > of the movie.
                                                >

Hi,
                                                yes, I think it should work.
                                                Video members will not get fully preloaded, they stream bit by bit.

Maybe something else is wrong with the loop? Too complex? Too big?

Impossible to say from here. try to see if a smaller loop does better
                                                and experiment.

Richard.