8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2013 1:29 PM by Joel Cherney

word translation

civicdesign

how do i translate an english word to another language in indesign?

• 1. Re: word translation
          TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Look it up in a dictionary and type it in?

• 2. Re: word translation
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

There is no translation facility in InDesign.

• 3. Re: word translation
              civicdesign Level 1

Thanks Bob. Would you be able to suggest a different method? I have two specific english words that need to be translated into many different languages

within an Indesign file. I do have a word document with some of the translations, but the cut and paste method doesn't work with the alternative languages, e.g.,

like it would for english words—where you can paste them in your layout and then deal with them from there, resize, restyle, etc.

• 4. Re: word translation
                civicdesign Level 1

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm looking to translate from English into another language, chinese, hindi, yiddish, hebrew, etc.

• 5. Re: word translation
                  TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's still not clear to me what you mean. Are you looking to replace

those 2 words in the document for each language and produce a separate

pdf each time?

• 6. Re: word translation
                    civicdesign Level 1

I'll continue my query elsewhere.

• 7. Re: word translation
                      [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

> .. within an Indesign file. I do have a word document with some of the translations, but the cut and paste method doesn't work with the alternative languages, e.g., like it would for english words—where you can paste them in your layout and then deal with them from there, resize, restyle, etc.

Not true. (But don't worry, it may just be you.)

> chinese

Done that -- Traditional, modern, pinyin.

> hindi

Sure -- that's Devanagari script, right?

> yiddish

Oy, don't think I did this one. Is this Hebrew script, or Latin-based?

> hebrew

Done that too.

> etc.

.. like Greek, Cyrillic, Farsi (Arabic), Japanese? All possible, even with my ID of choice: CS4. Perhaps you should explain why you can't get it to work.

A hint: there is not a single font that contains all of the characters you need. ("Arial Unicode MS" doesn't count, it's not intended for any serious multilingual typesetting.)

• 8. Re: word translation
                        Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You gave up awfully fast.

For what it's worth, there's already a pretty significant amount of InDesign localization experience in this thread; all you have to do is describe your project in a more verbose way, and any of the folks who have posted can give you step-by-step guidance on how to complete your project.

Oy, don't think I did this one. Is this Hebrew script, or Latin-based?

Theun, I'm going to have to revoke your oy-saying privs. You can say och or oei or whatever you Dutch folk say when you are trying to insert an interjection that implies both "Alas!" and "WTF?"

(Pssst... it's Hebrew script. Unless you're on the Internet. )