2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2013 3:44 PM by claricechan

Problems with Quick Selection Tool

DijahP

Hi everyone,

The quick selection tool now doesn't work on the image I'm editing at all. When I try to select only the leaf, the marquee jumps striaght to the edge of the photo, effectively selecting the whole of the image and background.  Here is a screenshot:

I have tried resetting the tool.

Screen Shot 2013-08-21 at 5.40.33 PM.png

• 1. Re: Problems with Quick Selection Tool
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

You are definitely using the Quick select tool and not the magic wand?  You have the image layer selected in the layers panel?

It should be an easy selection, appart from the narrow stem, but that's doable as well with a small brush size.

• 2. Re: Problems with Quick Selection Tool
            claricechan Level 3

Hi DijahP,

I'm not entirely sure what the issue is happening here. I saved your image and opened it into Photoshop. I suspect that you may have the wrong tool selected.

What I did was select the quick selection tool (w). Then make sure you select the 'Add a selection' brush in the top menu.

Screen Shot 2013-08-21 at 3.32.52 PM copy.jpg

These are my settings, you can try match it to see if it works for you:

Screen Shot 2013-08-21 at 3.41.59 PM.jpg

Once selected, I simply clicked on the leaf and it highlighted one side only.

Screen Shot 2013-08-21 at 3.33.18 PM.jpg

Then, to complete the leaf, I clicked the other side.

Screen Shot 2013-08-21 at 3.33.32 PM.jpg

You can also UNSELECT parts of the mask by using the 'subtract from selection tool'.

Screen Shot 2013-08-21 at 3.33.56 PM.jpg

Once you are happy with it, you can copy and paste the selected mask into a new layer and begin working with it further.

Screen Shot 2013-08-21 at 3.38.36 PM.jpg

I am not sure why when you tried it selected the outer frame. I also suspect it may be because you are in the wrong layer. Since I saved the file as one document, the image is only one layer. However, if you are selecting the black background layer and you click the leaf (which is on another layer) it may be causing this to happen.

Please let me know if this was helpful, feel free to provide more information about your file if you need additional help.

Clarice