2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2013 1:43 PM by Toad Road15

How to cut out a star shape from photo in CC14???

Toad Road15

I have been looking for over 2 hours online and I can't find the answer to this. Every guide I find either references the "Custom Shape" Tool or the "Polygon" tool, neither of which I can find.

I tried hitting "U" to bring up the Shape toolbar, but I still can't figure out how to do something as simple as cut out a star shape from a rectangular photo. Anybody have advice on how to do this (including letting me know where I can FIND the tools to use within photoshop?)

• 1. Re: How to cut out a star shape from photo in CC14???
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Make a copy of your background layer (Ctrl j)

Fill the backgound layer with a solid colour - whatever you want behind the star shape.

Hold down the shift key, and keep pressing the u key until you see 'Custom shape tool' towards the bottom of the toolbar.

On the right of the Options bar (top of the screen) you see Shape with a drop down.  Click on the dropdown and choose a star.  Drag it across your image.

The next bit depends on what version of Photoshop, but you need a solid fill, and no stroke.  These options will be, surprisingly enough, in the options bar.

Turn off the star layer by clicking on its  eye icon

Select the image layer > Ctrl click the turned off star layer > add a layer mask to the image layer.  Job done.

• 2. Re: How to cut out a star shape from photo in CC14???
            Toad Road15 Level 1

Thanks a lot. I knew it had to be fairly simple. You just assuaged much frustration.