12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2013 11:04 AM by A.T. Romano Branched from an earlier discussion.

Importing MTS files

pepinshort1

Thanks Brett, I've just been having problems with making DVDs with Adobe software, which in the past has always been great. I've created 20+ Blu-rays of past vacations to Europe, etc. using Canon HD

TAPES, but now I have ACHD files from SD card "discs", and I can't get the "clips" into Photoshop Elements or CS5. They are ACHD, but in the .MTS file format.  Any help would be appreciated!!!  Thanks

Don

• 1. Re: Importing MTS files
          Brett N Adobe Employee

What camera did these files come from? Have you already moved the files from your SD cards to your hard disk?

• 2. Re: Importing MTS files
            pepinshort1 Level 1

Brett, I am using Canon Vixia HF M500 and yes I took them off the SD card and they (all .MTS extension are in a folder I titled "B-17 flight".

Don

Sent from my iPhone

• 3. Re: Importing MTS files
              Brett N Adobe Employee

Going back to something you mentioned earlier, Photoshop Elements doesn't work with video files. You can import video files into the Elements Organizer or work with them in Premiere Elements. Also, Photoshop CS5 does not support MTS files (http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/import-export-file-formats-photoshop.html)

So, to be specific, which application are you trying to work with these files and what are you trying to do with them. If you are still trying to make DVDs or Blu-rays, you'll need to be working with Premiere Elements.

• 4. Re: Importing MTS files
                pepinshort1 Level 1

Sorry, I forgot to mention I am using Premier Elements and I have burned many  Blu-ray projects with my previous camcorder (Canon Vixia HV30) but there I was  capturing from HD tapes, not using an SD card.

Sent from my iPhone

• 5. Re: Importing MTS files
                  Brett N Adobe Employee

Let's move this conversation to the Premiere Elements forum then.

• 6. Re: Importing MTS files
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

In Premiere Elements, can you detail the exact steps that you took, to get those MTS files from the SD card? The more info, the better.

Also, if you did a Copy of the material from the card, to your HDD, did you Copy the full folder structure, or just the .MTS media files?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Importing MTS files
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

pepinshort1

We may be going over what you already know but we do not. So, please excuse the questions that may seem to be repeating.

1. What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running on? What version of Photoshop Elements do you have on your computer?

2. Given you have these AVCHD.mts video on your computer hard drive that got there from the transfer from camera memory card to the computer hard drive. Is that correct?

3. Please confirm...can you import those AVCHD.mts from the computer hard drive into your version of Premiere Elements with is Get Media or Add Media/Files and Folders? If imported, is it represented in the project with thumbnail showing first frame of video?

4. You wrote initially

I can't get the "clips" into Photoshop Elements or CS5. They are ACHD, but in the .MTS file format.  Any help would be appreciated!!!  Thanks

From that I am assuming your goal is getting your AVCHD.mts into the Elements Organizer of Photoshop Elements or some equivalent place in the Photoshop program. I am not sure of the relation of your successful HDV captures since the capture of HDV data (firewire) would be expected to be given you MPEG2.mpg not AVCHD.mts.

5. Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements are standalone programs. When they are on the same computer and are "combo" sets, they share the same Elements Organizer. If you cannot import your AVCHD.mts into the Elements Organizer of Photoshop Elements or Premiere Elements, you might be able to do that in a round about fashion, that is, import the AVCHD.mts into Premiere Elements and have it automatically be placed in the Elements Organizer. Have you been there and done that?

Lots of other things could be going on as well, but let us check out and rule in or out the above factors.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Importing MTS files
                        pepinshort1 Level 1

I got a couple of emails from your side and will try to answer all

questions here.

1.  I use Premiere Elements 9.  I have Photoshop Elements 7 and CS5 but

do not use them for video.

2.  I have the Premiere Elements software on my PC laptop [running

Vista] and on my Macbook Pro.

3.  I transferred the ENTIRE SD card contents onto both of my laptops.

4.  The .MTS clips are located in the last of these files: AVCHD -->

BDMV --> STREAM -->16 .MTS clips.  Note: the other folder with AVCHD is

CVINFO.  And besides BDMV in the AVCHD folder in one titled CANON.

Alongwith the STREAM folder are these: BACKUP, CLIPINF, and PLAYLIST.

Only the CLIPINF folder has other contents which are .CPI files

corresponding in numbers to the clip files.

Thanks for your help.

• 9. Re: Importing MTS files
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for that information.

Once you have Copied over the full folder structure from the SD card, to your HDD, did you then use PrE 9's Get Media>Files & Folders, to Import the .MTS media files?

If so, did you get any error messages, or similar?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Importing MTS files
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

pepinshort1

From the onset you refer to getting AVCHD.mts files into Photoshop Elements or Photoshop. Since you have Photoshop Elements 7 not 9, let us focus on your Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Windows Vista and its Elements Organizer 9 that came with Premiere Elements 9 until things get sorted out.

As I wrote originally and as Hunt has re-requested, what are the results from you trying to import these AVCHD.mts files into Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Windows Vista via its Get Media/Files and Folders? Do they import and have thumbnails (first frame of video images) in the media after import?

Next, if next click on Organizer, does the Elements Organizer 9 then open displaying the thumbnails for all these files (each showing first frame of video images)?

ATR

• 11. Re: Importing MTS files
                              pepinshort1 Level 1

I did as suggested and all is working well. I transferred just the clips to a folder, then opened Premier 9, set up a project with Preset "AVCHD" and "Full HD 1080i 30", went to Media and Files and Folders, got to the clips and imported them. Thanks for your good help.

Sent from my iPhone

• 12. Re: Importing MTS files
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

pepinshort1

Thanks for the follow up. Great news.

Did you look in the Elements Organizer 9 to verify that the clips were automatically included there after the import into the Premiere Elements 9 workspace?

It is not uncommon to see reports of users having problems getting the first frame of the video file to display in the Elements Organizer thumbnail. Yet many of them report that they can still play back that same thumbnail from the Elements Organizer location. The answer is often to import into Premiere Elements first and allow for the automatic placement of the file in the Elements Organizer.

When wanting to do more with Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 and Photoshop Elements, then intergration factors between the two enter the equation. Photoshop Elements 9 and Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 would be representatiive of the integrated program set.

Continued success.

ATR