8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2013 7:48 AM by rob day

Color correction for indesign document?

Ally@TartanPixie

Hi,

I've made a photo book in indesign but when test printed the yellows are coming out green.

The problem is consistent throughout.

Is there any way to correct the colour of the entire document?

I have no control over the printer or colour profile used as these are specified by the printing company (Blurb).

My current solution is to recalibrate my monitor and re-colour each picture individually in photoshop, however this strikes me as a laborious solution to a very common problem.

Perhaps my google-fu is weak but in searching for a solution all I find is page after page of people saying how to set up the colour profiles corectly. I know how to set up colour profiles but on this occasion managed to make a mess of it, as have several million other people judging by the number of pages google can find on the subject.

If I had a set of CMYK sliders I could fix the problem in seconds, so the idea of messing with my computer's settings then individually correcting over 100 images seems absolutely insane, yet this is what the wisdom of the internet keeps telling me to do. Surely there's a better way?

If there's nothing in indesign for correcting print colour, can the document be exported and coloured elsewhere?

Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts on this,

Ally@Tartan Pixie

• 1. Re: Color correction for indesign document?
          Romsinha Adobe Employee

Moving discussion to Indesign forum.

Regards,

Romit Sinha

• 2. Re: Color correction for indesign document?
            tman69 Level 3

"

I've made a photo book in indesign but when test printed the yellows are coming out green.

The problem is consistent throughout."

IF your photos are CMYK and you are test printing to an ink jet printer--you will get what you are describing (because an ink jet printer converts the color on the fly...and CMYK to CMYK conversion produces weird color shifts).

solution: use RGB photos when printing to an ink jet --or-- ask the printing company to see color proofs before they print

• 3. Re: Color correction for indesign document?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Did you download the Blurb ICC profile? Have you assigned it as the working space in the InDesign file? Is your monitor really calibrated and profiled correctly (I ask this because I just had to replace my older iOne Display colorimeter and EyeOne Match software becasue they simply didn't work with my new wide-gamut monitor)?

• 4. Re: Color correction for indesign document?
                Ally@TartanPixie Level 1

The test print was a full pre-print copy done by Blurb on their printer (HP Indogo 5000), so it's not a home printing issue.

Good thought though.

Thanks,

Ally

• 5. Re: Color correction for indesign document?
                  Ally@TartanPixie Level 1

Hi,

Yes I am using the Blurb profile etc. The problem is that I made a balls up of calibrating my monitor - 100% my fault.

What I am trying to find out is whether there's a quicker way of rectifying the mistake than re-calibrating the monitor and then re-colouring each picture indivdually in photoshop?

Is it possible to export the document from indesign, then re-colour the document as a whole and save it in the pdf version 1.3 required by Blurb? If so what software would I use for this?

For reference, I am using indesign CS6 and photoshop elements 9. This is just a stop gap until my new computer arrives and I can use everything from creative cloud and acrobat pro. I point this out because there may be a solution using the full fat photoshop to colour a pdf that's been exported from indesign, but I'm unable to experiment at this time.

Cheers,

Ally@TartanPixie

• 6. Re: Color correction for indesign document?
                    rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

PS elements doesn't have a cmyk space so how are you using the Blurb profile? The placed images must be RGB. We're they correctly profiled? How did export? Was there a conversion to CMYK? Was the Blurb profile used as the export destination?

• 7. Re: Color correction for indesign document?
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Blurb's website says the their profile is based on GRAcol, and I've used the GRAcol profile with a local printer (at their request to match the press) and their Indigo and it worked beatifully, so I think it's probably just a question of loading the Blurb profile and having the monitor correctly calibrated and profiled to do a soft-proof in ID, then export to the Blurb space if it looks OK.

Can PS elements soft proof? I've never used it. If it can't, then it's probably going to be pretty difficult to make intelligent adjustments to images on a case by case basis.

• 8. Re: Color correction for indesign document?
                        rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's been awhile since I've opened it but there's no CMYK mode and I don't know how it handles RGB. You could imagine many problems with a questionable monitor profile. Plus Is the RGB coming into ID tagged with a source profile? Is the native ID CMYK color assigned Blurb or is it getting converted on export? Yellows can pick up some cyan on CMYK-CMYK conversions