9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2013 10:52 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere elements

howleo

Will premiere elements process canon 5d lll video in 1080p and enable burning DVD?

• 1. Re: Premiere elements
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe has a 30 day trial, or 30 day refund if you buy, so you can find out for yourself what works on your computer

You do realize that a DVD is "about" 1/4 the resolution of the video you want to edit, so you will lose a LOT of resolution?

Comparison picture of video screen sizes http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1120039

• 2. Re: Premiere elements
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Do you wish to use the HD material, and then down-rez that to a DVD-Video (SD only), or author to a BD (Blu-ray Disc), which would be HD?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere elements
              A.T. Romano Level 7

howleo

What version of Premiere Elements do you have and on what computer operating system is it running on?

Was your Premiere Elements installed for PAL or NTSC?

From what I have read, your 1080p probably is 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97/30 progressive frames per second with AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264) video compression, Linear PCM audio compression, and .mov file extension.

If you are set up for NTSC, have Premiere Elements Windows, you would use the project preset

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30

and for export

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD

Disc

with Preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD

or did you have in mind taking your AVCHD to a DVD disc?

Then

Publish+Share

Disc

AVCHD

Disc

with Preset = H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby

but finding a player for the AVCHD format on DVD disc is not always easy...cannot use DVD player, need Blu-ray player, and not all Blu-ray players support AVCHD on DVD disc playback.

Please review and let us know if we have targeted your questions. Remember, the answers are in the details. So, do include details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere elements
                howleo Level 1

To everyone that has answered me so quickly, thank you.

I do not yet have Premiere Elements.  My desire is to burn short 1080p "30 fps" clips from the 5d3 onto DVD.  I'm aware of the much smaller capacity of DVD compared to Bluray but I was under the impression that full 1080p was possible on DVD as long as it is short.  I have Mac Pro running Snow Leopard, and an Oppo BDP-93 Bluray player.  Just burning the h264 .MOV file from the camera to DVD plays on the player in HD but without audio.

• 5. Re: Premiere elements
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

howleo

Thanks for the additional information. Very helpful.

Please excuse if you know the following already, but I did not want to take anything for granted.

1. AVCHD (MPEG4 AVD/H.264) is a specific video format that will be burned to the DVD disc. The key part of its structure is the BDMV  Folder. Typically it has the frame size of 1920 x 1080. The DVD-R 4.7 GB/120 minutes is in reality 4.3 GB and the DVD+R DL side sided 8.5 GB/240 minutes is in reality 7.9 GB. Two of the consideration with this choice are:

a. finding a player...this will not play back on the DVD player

b. having enough space of the DVD disc

2. The format that plays back on the DVD player is DVD-VIDEO on the DVD disc. The key part of its structure is the VIDEO_TS Folder. Typically its has the frame size of 720 x 480 (NTSC) and 720 x 576 (PAL).

If you have Premiere Elements 11 Mac, you should be able to import your AVCHD.mov into it and burn that Timeline content to DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc or AVCHD format on DVD disc. What I would advise you to do is to download and install the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 11 and give it a workout for your specific video importing, editing, and exporting goals. Then plan your purchasing strategy. If it is not for you, that is it. But, if you like the program consider purchasing it or holding off on your purchase until you get more information about the new version which is expected to be released soon.

We do need to check out the significance of

Just burning the h264 .MOV file from the camera to DVD plays on the player in HD but without audio

What are you using for the burn of the H.264.mov file from the camera to DVD? .

More later.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere elements
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm aware of the much smaller capacity of DVD compared to Bluray but I was under the impression that full 1080p was possible on DVD as long as it is short.

So long as you have a multi-drive, that can produce BD (Blu-Ray Discs), and that your clients, or recipients also have BD playback equipment, then you can get about 40 mins. onto a DVD-Video disc.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere elements
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Could you clarify?

What are you putting on "a DVD-Video disc"? AVCHD format? And, if so, is that 40 minutes of AVCHD on a DVD disc spec'd for 4.7 GB/120 min or DVD disc spec'd for 8.5 GB/240 minutes?

Or were you referring to something else? Like putting the original 1080p on a DVD disc and having a Blu-ray player support that for playback?

By DVD-Video disc are you referring to the regular DVD 4.7 GB/120 min and DVD 8.5 GB/240 min or some special type of DVD disc?

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere elements
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

For AVCHD material, @ 1080, one will not be able to get 120 mins. of Duration onto a DVD-5, as one can with a DVD-Video using the MPEG-2 DVD CODEC.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premiere elements
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Thanks for the reply.

In considering the question of how much can AVCHD format can I get on a DVD disc labelled for 4.7 GB/120 minutes (aka DVD 5), I have observed the following.

Using an AVCHD.mov (file size 166.3 MB, about 1.4 seconds duration, bitrate of 45.8 Mbps, and 1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second) and that  DVD 4.7 GB/120 minutes disc in Premiere Elements 11's burn to disc AVCHD.....

The answer will depend on whether one uses the option "Fit Content To Available Space" and just how much one can tolerate in the way of the program lowering the bitrate to make the fit on that particular disc type. Keeping in mind that the 4.7 GB of that disc is in reality 4.38 GB....

Somewhere between 29 minutes and 34 minutes, you reach disc capacity, that is, 4.38 GB. At this point, you cannot continue if you have  "Fit Content to Available Space" option without the check mark. If you are using the "Fit Content to Available Space" option with check mark, you can continue but the bitrate will begin to get progressively lowered from its 15.74 Mbps max. With all the implications of lower the bitrate, lower the quality. The point of when that lowering makes a dent in the quality observed by most is open for question.

Sampling of some actual data showing the changes as more and more AVCHD content added to the Timeline for the burn to DVD disc...

(the "FCTAS" in bold indicates that you can go no further..stuck with "Insufficient disc space for burning" error)

00;24;31;14   no "FCTAS" 3.24 GB 15.59 Mbps, with "FCTAS" 3.27 GB 15.74 Mbps

00:29:25:24   no "FCTAS" 3.89 GB 15.59 Mbps, with "FCTAS" 3.92 GB 15.74 Mbps

00:34:14:02   no "FCTAS" 4.53 GB 15.59 Mbps, with "FCTAS" 4.38 GB  15.04 Mbps

00:39:14;12   no "FCTAS" 5.18 GB 15.59 Mbps, with "FCTAS" 4.38 GB  13.16 Mbps

I do see the possibility of the AVCHD to DVD using the DVD disc 8.5 GB/240 minutes and taking advantage of its greater capacity, keeping in mind that the 8.5 GB here is in reality 7.95 GB.

ATR