4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2013 5:11 AM by Sandee Cohen

Trying to turn an InDesign CS6 file into an "app"

SBTodd

We produced a 104-page magazine this summer using InDesign CS6, and we decided to try to turn it into a cool app for the iPad.

Once we realized how much time, effort and know-how that would take, we figured we'd just post a "caveman" version. Essentially, a PDF with some bells and whistles. Basically, I just added a bunch of buttons that linked to websites, hidden content on the page or other pages in the magazine.

Not knowing how else to finalize the product, I just exported it as a SWF file, then opened said file in Acrobat Pro X and saved it as a PDF. When I do that, I'm able to open the PDF on any desktop computer, and all of the aforementioned features work.

But when I email it to myself and try to open it on my iPad, it doesn't work. I tried opening it in iBooks, and it's just a blank, white page. When I try to open it in Adobe Reader, it thinks it's nothing more than a one-page document and only shows me the cover page.

I keep clicking on it, but it won't activate so I can flip to other pages.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Trying to turn an InDesign CS6 file into an "app"
          SBTodd Level 1

After checking out this site a little more, I'm guessing this question belongs in the DPS forum.

My apologies. I'm just a sports page designer at a newspaper who has next to no digital publishing experience whatsoever but was given the task of creating this PDF/app.

• 2. Re: Trying to turn an InDesign CS6 file into an "app"
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't do interactive, so I can't help with that, but I think you do belong here, not DPS, because you are not doing an app (but you may find help over there, anyway, if you've already posted).

• 3. Re: Trying to turn an InDesign CS6 file into an "app"
              Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Couple of things:

You honestly don't need to export as SWF and then place back into an InDesign file unless you are using the SWF-only features. The main ones that people want to use are Page Turn and Page Curl. Don't use 'em. They are faddish and are seldom used by sophisticated designers. (Similar to a drop shadow. Don't use it.) There are some others for Buttons, so don't use them.

Next, interactive PDF files play fine on computers but are very problematic on tablets.

Next, you might want to pick up my book on Digital Publishing with Adobe InDesign to help you make decisions about interactive documents.

BTW, one more thing, Apple doesn't like it if apps are just conversions of what is obviously just a print document. So your switch to PDF was a good choice. And PDF is NOT a caveman version.

• 4. Re: Trying to turn an InDesign CS6 file into an "app"
                Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

I just realized what all your problems with the PDF are.

In email you are "reading" the file using a built in PDF reader on your computer or tablet that doesn't recognize the SWF content. Same with the tablet and iBooks.

Get rid of that SWF.