10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2013 11:43 AM by eric.grafico

Timeline problem

eric.grafico

HI!

I am triying to move the layer timeline bar, but when i click on it it makes longer instead of moving along the timeline. What i have to do?, why it doesnt moves? i have something cheked? what is happening?

• 1. Re: Timeline problem
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Could you show a screenshot or two so that we can know for sure what you are doing? From the words you used I do not understand what you are doing.

• 2. Re: Timeline problem
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Press the V key to select the Selection Tool.

Click in the timeline in the solid part of the layer and drag.

• 3. Re: Timeline problem
              eric.grafico Level 1

1.jpg

2.jpg

• 4. Re: Timeline problem

Rick's solution should work. He seems to have figured out what you meant.

However, you're going the long way around it. Instead of using the mouse to do that, just use the keyframe assistant. Highlight all your layers, right-click, Keyframe Assistant, Sequence Layers. If it does it in the wrong order, simply select all your layers in the reverse order.

• 5. Re: Timeline problem
                  eric.grafico Level 1

hi!

I already know about the method you are suggesting, keyframe assistant and sequence layers, the problem is that after effects doesnt allow me to move the layer timeline manually, when i "Press the V key to select the Selection Tool and i click in the timeline in the solid part of the layer and drag it it doesnt move, instead of that it increase his size like in the image 2". And i want adjust manually the timeline.

Regards,

Eric.

• 6. Re: Timeline problem

I'm not sure how to word this. You need to cut your footage items off at the beginning of the comp. You aren't making the size of the item larger on your timeline, they're just not edited off at the beginning, so when you move it along the timeline, it just shows the part that was cut off at the front end.

I hope that makes sense.

• 7. Re: Timeline problem
                      eric.grafico Level 1

hi!

I am not talking about making any item bigger, i am talking about my layer and his timeline, see the image 1, i have 1 frame of animation per layer, i want to take that 1 frame and move it forward, the problem is that when is select it, with the selection tool, it doesnt moove, it increase his frames like in the image 2. I hope we can finally understand each other.

• 8. Re: Timeline problem

I was afraid what I said wouldn't make sense.

Your frames are not increasing. They're already there to the left of the composition. Thus, when you move your layer to the right, the existing frames are revealed.

Move your playhead to the beginning of the timeline, select all your layers, and press alt+[ or opt+[ on a Mac. This will trim your layers to the start of the composition. (I think that's the right shortcut, I don't have AE in front of me at the moment.)

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Timeline problem
                          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You are grabbing the end of the layer. Grab it in the middle.

If you want to stack the layers up use the keyframe assistant to sequence layers.

• 10. Re: Timeline problem
                            eric.grafico Level 1

oHHHHHH 8.Szalam,

Shame on me, i dont have understood you earlier, you have explained it to me very well, yes you are right the layers were showing me their actual timeline size but is was hidden behind 0 position, thanks!!! i am not a native english speaker so it is difficult to me sometimes understand all correctly, very pleased, thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Eric.