4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2013 8:55 PM by cscooper2013

PP points to an original file which has been deleted

sobsg

I import an original file (which is 90% trash), edit it, export it as H.264, delete the original, open the edited file, and then PP points to the original which is gone (get the message "where is the file?..." Can I point to the new h.264 file? Is there another work around? I do not want to keep the originals. I've lost a lot of files this way. Can anyone help me out?

• 1. Re: PP points to an original file which has been deleted
          cscooper2013 Level 2

The problem I see with your approach is that re-linking the media to the new file would not work because PPr is looking for a file that is 1 hour long and the reference to the clip starts at, say, 2 minutes into the clip and ends at 5 minutes.  When you try to relink a shorter file it would try to start at 2 minutes into that file and end at 5 minutes.  If your new clip is only 4 minutes long, I don't know what would happen, PPr might throw an error, or simply not re-link at all.

You might try, instead, editing the project (cutting out 90% of the footage) and then using "Collect Files and Copy to New Location" to consolidate the original footage into a file size that is archive friendly. 

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WS1c9bc5c2e465a58a91cf0b1038518aef7-7c72a .html

You would then have a shorter "master" clip from which you could work (and save forever).  You could delete the original long file.  This feature doesn't always work as advertised, and for some types of footage it never works.

Give it a go and let us know.

• 2. Re: PP points to an original file which has been deleted
            sobsg Level 1

cscooper213,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I dont want to take a chance in losing any more video files. Based on what you stated:

You would then have a shorter "master" clip from which you could work (and save forever).  You could delete the original long file. This feature doesn't always work as advertised, and for some types of footage it never works.

What I decided to do is: with another program rough cut the original, export it as an MP4 (from AVCHD.MTS), delete the original, then use Premier Pro to do final editing. This way I'll utilize the rough cut and keep that in a known location so PP refers to that. I've looked at the quality in doing so, it does not seem to be degraded.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks again,

Greg

• 3. Re: PP points to an original file which has been deleted
              shooternz Level 6

Is there another work around? I do not want to keep the originals. I've lost a lot of files this way

You havent lost them.  You deleted them by yourown admission! Why

Deleting Master Source footage is a "risky business".

Whatever..you can make a digital intermediate in Premiere or AME or Prelude.

Open Source Clip in Premiere. Select your section(s) and export them into  the least compressed codec of your choice.  ( The file size will jump).

• 4. Re: PP points to an original file which has been deleted
                cscooper2013 Level 2

I guess I'm a little lost.  Why do you need to do your rough cut in a separate program?  Premiere can do rough cuts.  Your original post sounded like you wanted to delete the long, original clip, but still have the short sections of that clip available in your archive, or for further editing.  If that's the case, give the "Collect Files..." command a try.  If it fails, you'll lose nothing.  If it succeeds, you'll have shorter "original" clips stored in a new folder (i.e. c:/copy of project footage) from which you can create a new project (or continue fine cutting the "copied" project).

...but then you say you don't want to keep originals?  How have you lost files this way?  By deleting them?  Forgive me for asking, but I don't know you or your circumstances:  how long have you been editing with Premiere?  You do know that when you "edit" your original file it is actually left untouched by Premiere, right?  Premiere (actually, pretty much any NLE I can think of) stores references only to the parts of the original file(s) you want to see; the parts you include in your timeline.  If it's not in the timeline Premiere basically ignores that part of your original file, but it's never actually deleted.

The only way files are ever deleted (barring something like a hard drive failure) is when you navigate to the actual file on your hard drive (either outside of Premiere or within the Media Browser) and explicitly click "Delete".  If you already know that, forgive me for the explanation, but again... perhaps I'm a little lost on what you're trying to accomplish.