8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2008 4:09 PM by Newsgroup_User

2d collision

Level 7
      I'm creating a game where various object have to be inserted into odd shaped
      objects. What's the best way to detect if a particular point is on one side
      or another of a shape or curve?

• 1. Re: 2d collision
          hwa-jun yu Level 1
          Have you tried sprite...intersects ?

"compares the position of two sprites to determine whether the quad of sprite1 touches (TRUE) or does not touch (FALSE) the quad of sprite2."
          "If both sprites have matte ink, their actual outlines, not the quads, are used. "

See Director Documentation, search for "Intersecting Sprites"
          • 2. Re: 2d collision
            Chunick Level 3
            you can use sprite(x).within(sprite(y))... however, there are two caveats:
            1) you need to use matte ink in order to ignore the object's bounding rectangle so it will test the shape only.
            2) using matte ink to get the proper behaviour seems to only work on shape members and not 32-bit alpha images or vectorshape images. I have not tested with flash members.
            • 3. Re: 2d collision
              Level 7
              I knew about those things but what I didn't mention was that the sprites
              have alpha channels their edges are quite feathered so the traditional
              techniques aren't accurate.

I suppose syncing a more descretely edged sprite with the ones I mention
              above will offer the edge I'm looking for.

"womp" <lingoforum@wordofmo.com> wrote in message
              news:fmjbg7$i2v$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > I'm creating a game where various object have to be inserted into odd
              > shaped objects. What's the best way to detect if a particular point is on
              > one side or another of a shape or curve?
              >
              >
              >

• 4. Re: 2d collision
                Level 7
                "womp" <lingoforum@wordofmo.com> posted in macromedia.director.lingo:

> I knew about those things but what I didn't mention was that the sprites
                > have alpha channels their edges are quite feathered so the traditional
                > techniques aren't accurate.

Does changing the cast member's Alpha Threshold help?

--
                Mark A. Boyd
                Keep-On-Learnin' :)
                • 5. Re: 2d collision
                  Level 7
                  I'll have to try that. I generally haven't messed with that. I suppose
                  that changes the feathering tolerance of graphics right?

To further explain, I'm working on a medical project where user's will use
                  the mouse to insert an IUD into a graphic -you know what-

I need to be able to detect when the insertion device's tip is against any
                  of the boundries...imagine using the mouse to insert a thermometer into a
                  mouth and having to detect anytime the thermometer hits the lips, inside
                  wall of the mouth, etc. Of course, the tip might not be touching anything
                  but if the side of the thermometer were to touch the lips after the tip has
                  passed them, that would have to be detected also.

In my project, it's pretty much 2d, just as if in the mouth example, the
                  graphic was a cross section of the head from the side and one only needed to
                  worry about any surfaces in the plane of the screen.

Babbling never helps. Anyway, I think that using the matte ink with the
                  "intersect" or "within" Lingo will work. If the alpha gets in the way of
                  accuracy I could always create a 2 bit graphic of the exact boundries and
                  have that move in sync with the device but set the blend of the border
                  graphic to zero. This will give me more definitive boundries.

Craig

"Mark A. Boyd" <lingoboyd@mboydDotcom.invalid> wrote in message
                  news:Xns9A27B2C529CC9mblistssanDotrrcom@216.104.212.96...
                  > "womp" <lingoforum@wordofmo.com> posted in macromedia.director.lingo:
                  >
                  >> I knew about those things but what I didn't mention was that the sprites
                  >> have alpha channels their edges are quite feathered so the traditional
                  >> techniques aren't accurate.
                  >
                  > Does changing the cast member's Alpha Threshold help?
                  >
                  >
                  > --
                  > Mark A. Boyd
                  > Keep-On-Learnin' :)

• 6. Re: 2d collision
                    Level 7
                    "womp" <lingoforum@wordofmo.com> posted in macromedia.director.lingo:

> I'll have to try that. I generally haven't messed with that. I suppose
                    > that changes the feathering tolerance of graphics right?

That's the basics of it. It's choosing from 256 levels of the transparency.

I used it on images with soft drop-shadows that were getting in the way of
                    allowing a user to click & drag sprites around. So I know it works for mouse
                    clicks. I don't recall trying it with intersects or within.

--
                    Mark A. Boyd
                    Keep-On-Learnin' :)
                    • 7. Re: 2d collision
                      Lukewig Level 1
                      Hi Craig,

You might want to consider a combination of approaches - such using the intersection of the bounding box around the device and the obstacles to generate a list of potential collisions. Then, check the specific collisions. If you want the point of collisions (rather than simply knowing that there was a collision), you might consider using line segments (ie define the obstacles as a series of lines, curves or quads and using some funky maths to check if they intersect -- see for example http://www.lingoworkshop.com/Testzone/Intersecting_Circles.php and http://www.lingoworkshop.com/code/classes/scripts/MathsLib.Geom.ls )

-- Luke
                      • 8. Re: 2d collision
                        Level 7
                        Good stuff Luke. Thanks.

"Lukewig" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                        news:fn0ilc$eu0$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > Hi Craig,
                        >
                        > You might want to consider a combination of approaches - such using the
                        > intersection of the bounding box around the device and the obstacles to
                        > generate a list of potential collisions. Then, check the specific
                        > collisions. If you want the point of collisions (rather than simply
                        > knowing
                        > that there was a collision), you might consider using line segments (ie
                        > define
                        > the obstacles as a series of lines, curves or quads and using some funky
                        > maths
                        > to check if they intersect -- see for example
                        > http://www.lingoworkshop.com/Testzone/Intersecting_Circles.php and
                        > http://www.lingoworkshop.com/code/classes/scripts/MathsLib.Geom.ls )
                        >
                        > -- Luke
                        >