2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2013 9:36 AM by Joel Cherney

Creating material in Arabic

sparoblu

Hello,

I have to create a quick down-n-dirty sell sheet in Arabic.  Getting translation supplied in Word to flow into InDesign.  Does anyone know how to reset text boxes to run the copy right to left?

• 1. Re: Creating material in Arabic
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

I think this need World-Ready Composer that support ME version (right to left). also in-tool.com it have World Tool plug in that support right to leff.

If you have subscription to creative cloud you can install indesign ME version.

• 2. Re: Creating material in Arabic
            Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Flowing Word files from recent versions of Word into CS6+ usually results in RTL text flow by default. Just don't clear any overrides.

Text flow is not a frame-level attribute, so you don't set the frames to RTL but the paragraphs, or in some cases the text itself, to run RTL. If you've not handled Arabic before you might be in for some interesting challenges. Some quick examples - numerals run LTR in the middle of RTL text, punctuation can be a nightmare because translators will key it in a non-logical order that will work visually in Word but not InDesign, and so on.